Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lyle McDonald's "Getting Rid of Stubborn Body Fat" protocol... page 4

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ripped, what I said in my posting is not that controversial and there are plenty of science, anecdotical evidence and common sense to back it up, but I have no time to go into this now...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I think that being around 8 - 12 % of bodyfat is very healthy for older guys, and at the level you have more than enough bodyfat to use in a emergency. For me it is not about seing abs, but because I feel more energetic and my libido is even better at that level, than at a higher bodyfat...
    All legit. I was just making a point to the "lower is always better" sort of mentality. That and this nonsense/bullshit about a bunch of people just walking around living at 3% body fat.

My English is sloppy and I suck in grammar and orthography, so beware! Except from that; I am always right in what I am trying to say…
    I know what you meant . I was just joking round.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Ripped, what I said in my posting is not that controversial and there are plenty of science, anecdotical evidence and common sense to back it up, but I have no time to go into this now...
    It appeared to me that all you were really saying was that it's harder to get lean while maintaining muscle when you are older. And I don't think I fully disagreed with that; even at my age, staying strong is surely harder, unless I really work my ass off.

But I would argue that while it may be more difficult, it isn't as much as people think, and it isn't impossible. That's the loser mindset. If you don't try you won't know.

And as I already mentioned, assuming you are correct, it doesn't change the fundamental requirements to achieving such a goal.

With that being said, and in response to the initial question on the thread, I don't think there is anything magical about Lyle's recommendations. It's all about calories. That doesn't mean that such workouts can't help, because they can. However, one could easily replace those sessions with something fun such as hiking or sex, and that'd do the same exact thing.

That's modern marketing for you. It's famous for brainwashing people into dogmatically and irrationally putting magic where it doesn't belong. It's all to make a buck. And it works. It really is amazing how such marketing can spread memes like the black plague.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    In reality it is VERY dangerous to purposely maintain a super lean state well into your golden years. Fat isn't always a bad thing. In the aged its a buffer to disease. Those who are too lean may very well be one significant injury or illness away from death. That fat is energy stores... not just for those 16 hours your IF'ing.... but for when you are ill or injured as well.
    If you do the calculations, if you went an entire week without food, you'd only lose a few lbs of actual fat. So with the example of a 150 lb man, even as low as 6% would still be safe. Also mind you that most forms of prediction such as calipers and underwater weighing are double when compared to a DEXA scan which is supposed to be more accurate. And if that's true, than one would probably be a lot safer than you'd think.

I know Clarence Bass doesn't get down to 3% anymore and hasn't in decades since his bodybuilding years. He actually maintains less than 10% all year long and gets down to around 5% for his photos. He has been sick and gotten at least one operation that I know of, and he's quite fine.

So, I totally agree with you. But you actually can go a lot lower than what most people think. The numbers are there and as far as I know it, there's no reason why being lean would have any harm. Even being as low as 10% body fat would still give you enough fat to last you if you were sick in a hospital and in a coma for a month. (Do the calculations.) And even if it wasn't, the doctors would still feed you anyways, so you'd have nothing to worry about.

Oh, and you live in a place its not uncommon to see guys walking around at 3%BF ... A bunch of em? Ah, bullshit.
    Where do you live? Do you REALLY think people all around the world have as much access to food as they do in modern countries such as the USA and UK? REALLY? Keep on dreaming!!!

I live in the Philippines where most jobs are minimum wage or slightly over, which is only 275 php per day, which equates to about 6$ per day. Can you get fat with such little pay? Have fun trying, if you can even have enough food. Look up the obesity rate by country, and you probably won't even find philippines on the list, because I VERY rarely see fat people out here, it's almost a nonexistent phenomenon, unless you've got more money which most people don't.

Most people out here are small anyways. The culture is different. Most women are less than 45 kg and think they're fat if they get any heavier. The guys tend to be a bit heavier such as 55 kg. Some richer people or drinkers are fatter with a belly. Most construction workers are ripped. A good portion of the bodybuilders are ripped as well. And when I asked them how they did it, they said just by diet.

So are most people out here ripped? NO! Most people are healthily lean. But seeing ripped people isn't uncommon.

When I did construction work as a teenager, in the USA, I regularly maintained a reasonably lean 170 lb body, all while eating what ever I wanted. 4 meals per day, burgers, fries, sugary drinks, etc.. It was A LOT of calories!!! What do you think would happen to a construction worker who could only afford fish and rice?

If you REALLY want to go around calling people liars, please do your homework fist.
    Thanks

You live in fantasy land, or on a bodybuilding stage for the couple hours guys reach that level.
    No, I live in a 3rd world country where most people can barely afford to eat.
    Last edited by Ripped; 09-09-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    If you REALLY want to go around calling people liars, please do your homework fist.
    Thanks

No, I live in a 3rd world country where most people can barely afford to eat.
    I don't need to do homework to know that 3% bf is not sustainable. That was in some basic coursework done long ago. So now you are gonna try and claim that the context of your original post was that you frequently see starving dying people at 3% body fat? Seemed to me you were saying it was a normal day to day thing to see healthy people at your gym or something doing so. If you in fact totally meant that you see people drop dead in the street from starvation at 3% body fat, and that was your argument.....well then I guess I took your comment out of context.

A quick googling shows the Philippines have an average BMI of 22.9. Couldn't find any quick data on their measured BF though. But thats not really here nor there with regards to the original posting and what we were discussing.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-09-2013 at 08:18 AM.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to interrupt ... but 3% BF, would that be ... the brain matter ?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Sorry to interrupt ... but 3% BF, would that be ... the brain matter ?
    I guess it start around that level! Brain tissue and marrow inside you bones and then you're gone...

Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I don't need to do homework to know that 3% bf is not sustainable. That was in some basic coursework done long ago. So now you are gonna try and claim that the context of your original post was that you frequently see starving dying people at 3% body fat? Seemed to me you were saying it was a normal day to day thing to see healthy people at your gym or something doing so. If you in fact totally meant that you see people drop dead in the street from starvation at 3% body fat, and that was your argument.....well then I guess I took your comment out of context.

A quick googling shows the Philippines have an average BMI of 22.9. Couldn't find any quick data on their measured BF though. But thats not really here nor there with regards to the original posting and what we were discussing.
    I just don't think he knows what 3% body-fat is.

vegasvics is offline Junior Member
    Let me re-phrase my question. Does consumption of dietary fat hinder or slow lipolysis that has been induced by HIIT while in a fasted state?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast