Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fruit - The Nasty Bits. page 3

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I do admit that I don't have a use for pith yet.
    well hurry up!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You know, Zach, Knifegill posts here a lot. He asks questions, gives opinions, has a good sense of humor, etc. You on the other hand pretty much post only to criticize.

Eat lots of pizza, Zach. I truly wish for you a life of much pizza. And bread and cereal. Lots. May you never want for corn, also.

Peace, love, and granola,
    Joanie
    I nominate this post for best in thread.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    well hurry up!
    As requested, hurriedly...

What Julia Ate: Strawberry and Orange Pectin Jelly

This person saves a bowl of citrus pith and processes to extract the natural pectin.

Howz that?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Rich.

Best use for citrus peels, though not very primal - infusing vodka. Mock limoncello is infused vodka with your choice of sweetener. You could even put some lemon juice in it to knock down the proof and give it some color.

But for the life of me, I can't find a good mimic for Campari - tastes like grapefruit and sour oranges, but I can't get it right. Fun trying though.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    As requested, hurriedly...

What Julia Ate: Strawberry and Orange Pectin Jelly

This person saves a bowl of citrus pith and processes to extract the natural pectin.

Howz that?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Paleobird Guest
    Best use for citrus peels, though not very primal - infusing vodka. Mock limoncello is infused vodka with your choice of sweetener. You could even put some lemon juice in it to knock down the proof and give it some color.

But for the life of me, I can't find a good mimic for Campari - tastes like grapefruit and sour oranges, but I can't get it right. Fun trying though.
    Another use for orange peel. Put it in your Campari. Good stuff.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I do eat the fuzzy jackets the kiwi are wearing... but only organic kiwi.

I also eat the pith out of good oranges. Bitter peels, though, no.

I also will eat the peel of squash, and of mangoes, we've had radish tops (best when small!), and garlic "scapes".

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I like to suck the goo out of shrimp heads (and crawfish), but chewing on the shells doesn't appeal to me. And I want that black thing some people call a vein gone also - that's no vein, it's their equivalent of a digestive tract and I don't want to eat shrimp poo.

I think somewhere along the line, we peeled fruits because it tastes better. While the zest of most citrus is deliciously concentrated and great in dishes and drinks, the white pith is bitter, though I guess you could develop a taste for it.

And if skins on fruits are there for the protection of the fruit against predation, there's probably at least a chance that they're not great for us. I guess experimenting won't kill you - if you have a 20 lb BM afterward, you'll have your answer. And definitely report back because poop threads are some of the best. (Really.)
    About 10 years ago someone told me that the pith of orange was carcinogenic, and to this day I am still paranoid about eating it..!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I understand orange peels are worth eating, and perhaps banana peels - if organic and washed, etc. What about pumpkin stems and other peels, seeds, and stems? What nutrition goes into the trash can every time I toss a peel? Avocado pits are eaten by some, I know. What else am I throwing away that I could be eating?
    Ew Knifegill. Don't eat orange peels, banana peels or avocado pits. Ew. Those things are not food. Bitter yukky not food.

Let the worms eat them. Put them in the compost. Then grow something delicious with the compost.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Ew Knifegill. Don't eat orange peels, banana peels or avocado pits. Ew. Those things are not food. Bitter yukky not food.

Let the worms eat them. Put them in the compost. Then grow something delicious with the compost.
    Hey sb!

I dunno... I am still intrigued. As far as I have ever heard, tomatoes were considered a poisonous plant for a long time by Europeans before someone challenged that idea - can you imagine Italy without the tomato now!? And the same for the potato, too, for example. Perhaps Knifegill is in the vanguard of something here.

I have always wanted, personally, to know who first got the idea to eat some seafood sorts, especially the spiny urchin and the oyster. Think about it... (Though I do like oysters, even on the half-shell. Never tried sea urchin.)
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 12-26-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast