Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit - The Nasty Bits. page 2

anadolis is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Papaya seeds are pretty awesome- they're slightly peppery, and have higher concentrations of papain [the enzyme that makes papaya so helpful for digesting proteins] than the flesh of the fruit itself.
    Don't eat apple seeds or the inner seed from peach pits, as they have potentially uncomfortable levels of cyanide.
    I eat all the pith off of grapefruit and pummelo skins, but not the whole raw skins themselves [though they make great additions to tisanes or mulled wine].
    My room-mate eats kiwis whole [fuzzy skin and all], but i can't quite handle the texture.
    Pumpkin/squash seeds- kind of a no-brainer. rinse 'em, salt 'em , roast 'em, and enjoy! I eat them unshelled, of course. The same goes for some roasted almonds-in-the-shell, as well as toasted sunflower seeds [not the usual, big grey sort, but the smaller black ones].

P.S. I also eat shrimp and prawns whole, head to tail. Keep in mind that the chitin in crustaceans' exoskeletons goes through undigested, as do many of the nut/seed hulls mentioned above.
    While texturally enjoyable, and technically edible, many of these plant tissues are not really THAT nutritious simply because whatever nutrients they contain can't be accessed by our human digestive systems.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I like to suck the goo out of shrimp heads (and crawfish), but chewing on the shells doesn't appeal to me. And I want that black thing some people call a vein gone also - that's no vein, it's their equivalent of a digestive tract and I don't want to eat shrimp poo.

I think somewhere along the line, we peeled fruits because it tastes better. While the zest of most citrus is deliciously concentrated and great in dishes and drinks, the white pith is bitter, though I guess you could develop a taste for it.

And if skins on fruits are there for the protection of the fruit against predation, there's probably at least a chance that they're not great for us. I guess experimenting won't kill you - if you have a 20 lb BM afterward, you'll have your answer. And definitely report back because poop threads are some of the best. (Really.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Honestly? You're asking for digestive issues. The nasty stuff you people eat, jesus.
    nihil

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Honestly? You're asking for digestive issues. The nasty stuff you people eat, jesus.
    This guy is afraid to eat pizza because its so deadly but pumpkin stems, banana peels and other compost? Yummmy.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    This guy is afraid to eat pizza because its so deadly but pumpkin stems, banana peels and other compost? Yummmy.
    Bugs are fair game too. Silk worm pupae and termites have zero carbs.
    nihil

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    You know, Zach, Knifegill posts here a lot. He asks questions, gives opinions, has a good sense of humor, etc. You on the other hand pretty much post only to criticize.

Eat lots of pizza, Zach. I truly wish for you a life of much pizza. And bread and cereal. Lots. May you never want for corn, also.

Peace, love, and granola,
    Joanie
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I think it is an honest question. I came across a cookbook in an Indian grocery in NJ once that had nothing but recipes for "things that others throw away" like radish tops. I was so intrigued that I bought the book (but don't currently know where it is in that black hole that gets called a home office at this house). Anyway, I googled for recipes for radish tops, and whaddya know - they are easily edible and actually tasty (assuming you generally like greens, which I do).

So now on, I will try to get my radishes spanking fresh with the tops so I can get that boost of greens, instead of buying them already trimmed in bags.

Somewhere in my posting history here is a short conversation with a gal who said she throws her strawberries into the Vitamix with the tops on when she uses strawberries in smoothies. Just FYI, Knifegill.

And my cousin recently made me a golden acorn squash dish - baked, with some kind of minced thing that was heartily spiced to sprinkle on top, but she didn't peel the slices. I was nonplussed, so I watched her eat before I said or did anything, and since she ate the things just as they were, so did I, and they were tender and yummy. AND her squash was homegrown, to boot.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    that's squash tho

citrus peels and pith are a whole other ballgame
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Candied citrus peels I can definitely do. Not so much the other stuff. I know it's nutritious to eat peels of certain fruits, and I do that, but not to a point where it's just unappetizing. This post reminds me of the person who ate egg shells for the nutrients. No thanks.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    that's squash tho

citrus peels and pith are a whole other ballgame
    Admittedly. Okay - here is one for lemon peel - I use it as part of a rub for turkey and chicken. I have one of those citrus zester tool-thingies that makes very fine curls of peel. Shave off all of the lemon peel, put in a tightly closed container and freeze for future use. Perhaps use a little strip of freezer paper or parchment to wrap one whole lemon's worth so you don't end up with an 8-lemon frozen clod of shavings.

Mix with fresh rosemary and sea salt and rub that bird heartily with it. Then roast.

I do admit that I don't have a use for pith yet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast