Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB while traveling around Europe on a budget page

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

PB while traveling around Europe on a budget

Primal Fuel
    So if all goes well this summer I will be going to London to see my best friend who will be there on a 3-month stipend and we'll be going to Paris as well. I've been to Europe before in various capacities but this will be my first trip as a PBer and I would like some suggestions on how to eat as primally as possible. I am planning to cheat by enjoying a croissant or two in Paris but I would like to keep it as clean as possible, especially lunches where the easiest, cheapest and time-saving thing is usually to just grab a sandwich and go. English breakfasts should be easy enough to get in London, so check, and the only other thing I can come up with are the shawarma stands which fortunately are to be found in great numbers. I can always grab a shawarma/doner/gyros and de-flatbread it. Any other time and cost-efficient suggestions?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Yeah in the UK breakfast and dinner should be fine. Eggs and bacon are common for breakfast, and for dinner you can have a meat and veg meal and skip the carb element. Lunches are a bit more of a challenge if you are not cooking. I live in the UK, and have found some supermarkets (e.g Marks and Spencer) do low carb snacks like salami, cheese, humus and carrot dips, salad boxes (sadly many with pasta in) and cooked chicken pieces. If you find a pub that serves hot food for lunch you can probably find something that's not too bad. Some sandwich shops in the larger centres do salad boxes that they will make up for you. Depends quite a lot on where in the country you are. I live in London so have a gastronomic feast on my door step, but recent I travelled to a village and had trouble finding somewhere for lunch that didn't involve eggs and bacon (after having already had eggs and bacon for breakfast).

hayley3 is offline Member
    Hi There,

I'm also from the UK - a village :-) and my failsafe is prawn cocktail and surf & turf (steak and prawns). Salads can be whipped up easily and usually restaurants will accommodate you if you request something slightly different/off the menu. Like Jo said, most shops sell ready cooked chicken and they'll have all the basics to make a BAS in 5 minutes with minimal effort. There are usually lot's of delis/market stalls about too so you'll have access to loads of things, might take a little creativity but that's part of the fun :-) I just came back from London and there was so much to choose from it really wasn't a problem! Enjoy your travels!!

~Hayley
    There are none so blind as those determined not to see

Thanks ladies!! I've earmarked a few places in London to stay that offer full English breakfasts so I'm hoping to load up on the eggs, bacon etc. and probably IF through lunch a few days. Avoiding all those baked temptations in Paris will be a different story.........

Any suggestions for great (affordable) places to grab dinner in London?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post

Any suggestions for great (affordable) places to grab dinner in London?
    It's a big place - can you narrow down where you will be staying/visiting?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Are tins of Kippered Herring something one can find easily in the UK? They are in the London of my imagination, but I've never been there, and have no idea if they're inexpensive over there or not. Sardines too... Economical, delicious, and easy.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    With all the "Fresh" or "eat fresh" convenience places, you won't have a problem getting primal stuff in the UK.I think they're called Fresh or maybe just EAT. Basically they have ready made salads, meat and cheese plates, fresh fruit and veg, they do have sandwiches and wraps, but I never had a problem avoiding them. OH! And Marks and Spencer, we picked up small bundles of fruit and nuts to keep and take in the car with us so we'd have ready access to edible stuff.

In france? No problemo. Just hit the supermarkets or farmers markets. As for sweets, they really didn't tempt me too much (except the caramels in Normandy...mmmmmm). I did indulge one day and we got a bagette to split, and I made a massive ham and cheese sandwich. Oh god. Yum. They have very different ham over there, they process it much differently. It tastes SOO much better. The restaurants that we were in offered a meat and veg (salad, steamed veg or potato). Some gave little bits of bread that could have passed as rocks as an appetizer/snack. I won't say that I was strictly primal, but I think I did a pretty good job considering where I was. Also, you'll be surprised at the sheer variety of meat choices in the supermarket, all packaged nicely - some even cut and ready to eat from the package! I found it a lot harder to even try cheating in france. Here, we have three aisles of garbage/junk, most of the supermarkets I was in over there...had half an aisle. Across from the beer.

Jo: I'll be staying near King's Cross. If you could suggest anything around there, that would be fab!

Darth: All great ideas except that I'm allergic to fish so unfortunately those are all a huge no-no for me!

Elorajade: I have a HUUUGE sweet tooth (still, even after all this time on primal!) and my eyes are always hungrier than my stomach.... I will definitely allow myself one suisse longue while I'm there but I'll definitely have to work on putting mind over matter! (it's a concept I still struggle with...)

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Remember unchatenfrance, macarons are primal-ish!!! (At least that's what I will tell myself if I'm ever in france! lol)

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been thinking about the same thing. Hubby and I are going to be in Paris for a week in late May. I agree with you that a sampling of croissants will have to occur at some point, hopefully not daily, nor the baguettes. Looking forward to the rich foods cooked in butter and cream, cheeses, and yes, wine...

From what I have been researching about food in Paris, I think it should be not too bad to be mainly primal. I'll fill you in after the trip how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast