Thread: Is it ok to eat chicken/other animal bones straight up? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Is it ok to eat chicken/other animal bones straight up?

Primal Fuel
    At dinner tonight my mom cooked a ham and a few cornish hens. I ate quite a bit of the hen meat but noticed that the wing and leg bones and also the ribs were pretty soft and I ate them with even realizing I was doing so.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Well if you're dead tomorrow, I guess the answer is no, eh?

Since we're all drinking bone broth and eating the bones from canned salmon and sardines, bones are not poisonous. The greatest danger is if they aren't soft and get stuck somewhere.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Zach is offline Banned
    Those smaller bones from birds and fish can be kind of deadly if they get stuck somewhere along the way. I doubt they will be digested unless they were almost jello but that would be pretty strange.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Those smaller bones from birds and fish can be kind of deadly if they get stuck somewhere along the way. I doubt they will be digested unless they were almost jello but that would be pretty strange.
    oh dont say that. they were chewy but with a soft crunch to them, kind of like a pork crackling.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    oh dont say that. they were chewy but with a soft crunch to them, kind of like a pork crackling.
    Sounds like the ones I eat I imagine they're fine, and a great source of calcium.

Zach is offline Banned
    You sure it wasnt just cartilage? If you chewed them up good im sure you will be fine.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    AFAIK, bones do digest easily. Too much calcium is a bad thing (arterial calcification, etc.), so think of it more as a supplement, IMO.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html