Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beans and lentils

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Pound for pound they are probably ten times more nutritious. Why not just eat both? If you like beans of course.
    Not calorie for calorie...so why not just eat healthy rather than stuffing yourself full or relatively empty calories..
    Last edited by Dirlot; 12-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Actually in terms of nutrition, beans are pretty good. 1 cup of cooked black beans is only 227 calories but has 30% magnesium, 64% Folate, 28% thiamin, 38% mangenese, and a good amount of many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Not calorie for calorie...so why not just eat healthy rather than stuffing yourself full or relatively empty calories..
    First, how would eating a cup (227 calories) be stuffing yourself? Second as you see above, they certainly arent empty, calorie for calorie they are up there with red meat. Third, why would eating beans mean that you are not eating healthy. Forth, it doesnt matter if its calorie for calorie, you would have to eat pounds of veggies to get the same nutrition, not to many people are interested in doing that.

227 cal of broccoli
    Over 30% magnesium
    Folate Over 160%
    Maganese over 60%

So WAY better numbers

We could do that with other veg but why bother...better sources of nutrition out there....the numbers are clear...if all you want is calories eat beans ..you want nutrition look somewhere else..your numbers are clear.

PS why are you on a Primal Website again?

PPS
    Your actions have confirmed my initial impressions of you from your first make believe thread.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 12-25-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

That would be like 9 cups of chopped broccoli, are you eating that much in a day??

I dont believe you understand what nutrition means. Put simply, you would live eating just beans, you would die eating just broccoli.

That said, i dont understand your black and white stance, eating both would offer much better nutrition then eating either alone.

Eat foods you enjoy. The end.

That would be like 9 cups of chopped broccoli, are you eating that much in a day??

I dont believe you understand what nutrition means. Put simply, you would live eating just beans, you would die eating just broccoli.

That said, i dont understand your black and white stance, eating both would offer much better nutrition then eating either alone.
    I was going to say 227 calories of broccoli is a lot! Not to mention $$$$! That's at least $3-4, but a cup of beans is like .15 cents. I think people that say vegetables are nutritionally superior to legumes or grains or fruit need to think in context. The sheer volume and cost comparison, not to mention time it takes to eat a bushel of vegetables every day. And if you're feeding several family members or have a tight budget, legumes and potatoes, etc. are just more cost-efficient and practical and can provide similar nutrition.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Eat foods you enjoy. The end.
    By that premise most people on this forum should be going back to the junk they were enjoying that got them fat in the first place. Some are still embracing diet coke for example, they say they crave it and it's great on a hot day, etc. and many other posts of similar category. So bottom line people are still into processed foods because they LIKE it.
    Most people here, not all, are FAT, that's a fact. 1% of people here are actually interested in nutrition. The rest sadly seeks the flavor comfort.

@ Zach

I think it might be you that is confused on nutirition. You brought up the example of beans and I looked at alternatives. In the example I gave you could eat about a third of the calories in broccoli and get the same nutrition as beans.

So your comment on eating just one thing is absurd and you know it.

Eating different veg and fruit is much healthier than adding beans into the mix.

Beans and legumes contain lectins and are also inflamatory nut as bad as most grains but they are.
    The Lowdown On Lectins | Mark's Daily Apple
    Lectins in the United States diet: a survey of lectins in commonly consumed foods and a review of the literature.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 12-26-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    By that premise most people on this forum should be going back to the junk they were enjoying that got them fat in the first place. Some are still embracing diet coke for example, they say they crave it and it's great on a hot day, etc. and many other posts of similar category. So bottom line people are still into processed foods because they LIKE it.
    Most people here, not all, are FAT, that's a fact. 1% of people here are actually interested in nutrition. The rest sadly seeks the flavor comfort.
    Care to notice I wrote "Food". People here should know what that is by now.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Care to notice I wrote "Food". People here should know what that is by now.
    You would think but here we are having a discussion about non-primal beans and lentils.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!