Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beans and lentils page 2

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, it's up to everyone to look at facts and make their own decisions. For myself, I was glad that I could stop pretending I liked beans and lentils. They don't have anything I can't get from vegetables and meat. But if you really, really like them, then eat 'em.

I'm a little suspicious of claims like "1 serving per day lowers heart attack risk by 38%.' Compared to what? And who? Was there a double blind clinical study with a control? That's the trouble with most of this kind of 'sound bite' stuff. It sounds really good until you dig into a little, then you find there is nothing behind it.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I'm a little suspicious of claims like "1 serving per day lowers heart attack risk by 38%.' Compared to what? And who? Was there a double blind clinical study with a control? That's the trouble with most of this kind of 'sound bite' stuff. It sounds really good until you dig into a little, then you find there is nothing behind it.
    Yeah, that parts obviously bunk made up or borrowed from some garbage fiber study I'm sure.

Paleobird Guest
    My way of looking at it is that a bit of hummus dip at a party isn't going to hurt you (and can be a fairly good option if everything else is SAD food) but I don't actively seek out beans to include in my diet. They just don't seem to pull their weight in terms of nutrient density and I really think all that fiber is not necessary or even good for you. That high fiber mindset is one of the last CW holdouts.

And the "compared to what?" point made above by Siobhan is very true. Most studies showing that fiber filled foods are "healthy" are basically comparing whole grain bread to Wonder bread. Sure whole grain is better but neither is particularly good for you.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-25-2012 at 01:33 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    It seems to me that beans and lentils are bad if your more in to the "weight loss" aspect of primal?

We didnt eat all that many, but when I started dieting CW style, I started eating .5 - 1c per day of various types, cuz I thought they were good for me. And I was losing just fine. When I found primal, and cut carbs, I cut them back out, so I am not sure but I am guessing I could still lose weight just fine if I added them back in, provided calories are still in check.

We always soaked them first. That is just the way my momma always did it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Zach is offline Banned
    Actually in terms of nutrition, beans are pretty good. 1 cup of cooked black beans is only 227 calories but has 30% magnesium, 64% Folate, 28% thiamin, 38% mangenese, and a good amount of many others. As far as how much gets absorbed due to fiber content, that i am not sure but that can be said for "nutritious" veggies.

Also Paleobird, why do you believe higher fiber is not good for you? I dont really think its that great either but i thought a high fiber diet was part of a primal/paleo diet. I have seen people quote that paleo ancestors ate upwards of 100g fiber a day,

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Actually in terms of nutrition, beans are pretty good. 1 cup of cooked black beans is only 227 calories but has 30% magnesium, 64% Folate, 28% thiamin, 38% mangenese, and a good amount of many others. As far as how much gets absorbed due to fiber content, that i am not sure but that can be said for "nutritious" veggies.

Also Paleobird, why do you believe higher fiber is not good for you? I dont really think its that great either but i thought a high fiber diet was part of a primal/paleo diet. I have seen people quote that paleo ancestors ate upwards of 100g fiber a day,
    This is my particular bent here, not claiming to be the Primal spokesperson. That said, I am moving toward a more carnivorous diet. I know you said that didn't work so well for you but it seems to be where my body is going naturally. I'm not eating a whole lot of veggies either. They are in my diet these days more as flavor enhancers to the meat and a few that I really actively like such as avocados and coconut products, but the centerpiece of my meals is always animal based.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is my particular bent here, not claiming to be the Primal spokesperson. That said, I am moving toward a more carnivorous diet. I know you said that didn't work so well for you but it seems to be where my body is going naturally. I'm not eating a whole lot of veggies either. They are in my diet these days more as flavor enhancers to the meat and a few that I really actively like such as avocados and coconut products, but the centerpiece of my meals is always animal based.
    The carnivore part didn't work but i have gravitated to a no residue type diet if you will. Fiber does not seem to do me any favors.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    The carnivore part didn't work but i have gravitated to a no residue type diet if you will. Fiber does not seem to do me any favors.
    You might enjoy this post by Mark:Fun With Fiber: The Real Scoop | Mark's Daily Apple

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Beans and lentils are still probably not as nutritious as veg...so I know what I would eat.
    Is this something you "think" or something you "know"?

I find this site is great for experience people, however; a lot of people say opinions as if they were facts and mess people up.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I eat lentils, chick peas and other beans now and then. I don't think it is a good idea to replace animal protein with them. We like Indian food around here, though, so that's how I usually get them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast