Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ugly on Canola oil? page 2

Nick Guest

Primal Fuel

Canola actually stands for 'Canadian Oil, Low Acid', the acid in question being the Omega-9 erucic acid. Erucic acid is a big component of rapeseed oil and mustard seed oil (commonly used in most of India, one reason I think they have a huge heart disease epidemic). Erucic oil causes arterial lesions, etc.

Canola was created by a seed splitting technique to form a low erucic acid cultivar and instead make more oleic acid (the omega-9 in lard, olive oil, etc.). They also make a high erucic cultivar, because erucic acid is prized for its use in varnishes (mm, varnish).

So, basically, canola is 21% linoleic acid (omega-6) and around 10% alpha linolenic acid. It's about 2:1 O6:O3, which some will tell you is fine (I'd rather have it be 1:1). However, that puts it at a total of 31% polyunsaturates, compared with a total of 8% for olive oil and 3% for coconut oil (and 10% for avocado oil). While it has a better ratio than those fats, the proportion of polyunsaturates in total is so large in canola that it's still bad for you. You don't want to get more than 4% of calories from omega 6 fats, and canola is an easy way to shoot past that threshold (I've seen estimates that Americans get around 25% of their calories from vegetable oil..if it were all canola, they'd have 5% from linoleic acid).

So, short story: canola is a frankenfood made from a seed whose oil was previously only used for its easily-oxidized erucic acid in varnishes. Stay the hell away from it.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Bravo Nick. Exactly-- Canola is a frankenfood. Processed crap.

P.S. OTB, Matt is obviously not getting it.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Nick, thanks for that additional knowledge and correction. Hey, I was close, wasn't I?

It's my understanding that with the demise of (linseed)oil based paints the farming industry was pressed to find new markets. Nothing like ignorant consumers and the power of propaganda.

Yeah, Frankenfood.

mds86 Guest

Perhaps I need to do more research on fats in general.

Matt, it's all here and over at the Weston Price Foundation. Other places, too of course, but mostly rehashes of Mark and Enig.

Conan Guest

Thanks for the info guys. I cut out Canola about a month ago after reading some posts on this board. Now I use Olive Oil and Coconut Oil only. Do you guys know if Cordain has updated his stand on Canola? He seems to be pretty well informed so I'm surprised he is so wrong on this issue.

Garden Diva Guest

I am not sure about Cordain but Dr. Eades used to recommend Canola oil and no longer does because of the amount of processing it must go through to make it palatable. This processing is going to damage the fatty acids.

Trinkwasser Guest

Best thing about Canola/rapeseed oil: you can put it through a diesel engine almost unprocessed

LOL!!!!

Actually, coconut oil has been used likewise. Something readily available out on those islands in the pacific. Diesel fuel doesn't grow on trees, you know.....oh, yes it does!

Trinkwasser Guest

Diesels are pretty Primal. There are firms here who convert used cooking oil into fuel, best thing to do with most of it. Before it's used for cooking would be even better. That requires some processing/cleaning but they seem to go well on Omega 6s, unlike people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast