Thread: Antioxidants a problem?? page

Iridium318 is offline Junior Member

Antioxidants a problem??

Primal Fuel
    I am a huge fan of Primal, and have had great success (Lost 25 lbs in under 12 weeks) and also take Damage Control Master Formula. However, I wonder what the meaning and impact of this is:

Referred from: http://www.westonaprice.org/Caustic-...ring-2010.html

"The Antioxidant Myth" (Third entry down right now)

The study report:

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/21/8665.long

Discussions and thoughts much appreciated!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Antioxidants shouldn't be taken post-exercise... Not a general statement. That is well known as the free radicals or damage during exercise are purposeful, so we can repair and build new muscle...

Antioxidants at other times are very useful though... For example, adrenal fatigue is often treated with hefty amounts of Vitamin C (along with other vitamins) and has been shown to decrease the excess cortisol release that most people with it have.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

And antioxidants like melatonin, coenzyme q-10, glutathione.... all very beneficial and used to treat various disorders and disease

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Iridium318 is offline Junior Member
    But a supplement pack like DCMF contains anti-oxidants, and I follow the directions and take them twice a day..... meaning they are "always" taken post-exercise.... at least within 6 hrs or so.

How long should I wait after exercise before taking the supplement???

Haha don't think about it like that, you'll drive yourself crazy. Post workout is generally considered within 0-90 minutes post-workout...

So a couple or few hours after the workout would be fine

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The antioxidant skeptics constantly use mega doses of synthetic vitamin c and e. Yeah okay fine large doses of synthetic vitamin antioxidants are bad, I knew that already vitamin e supplementation increases death risk. But it doesn't follow that what can be said about mega doses of synthetic antioxidant vitamins can be said about reasonable doses of natural non-vitamin antioxidants like the ones in cocoa or tea. Just saying they're trying to treat A's as B's. Or C's and E's as chocolate and teas. Please.

As a side note I wouldn't supplement with vitamin antioxidants. Mineral supplements are fine but the vitamin ones are troublesome.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Whole food vitamins = better then synthetic... As far as minerals go, as stabby said those are fine as minerals are minerals are minerals (usually)