Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on Wireless Heart Rate Monitor page

TylerB is offline Junior Member

Recommendations on Wireless Heart Rate Monitor

Hi all, had a quick search on the forum and couldn't find an answer to this one.

I am looking for a good wireless heart rate monitor for a reasonable price. Would love to hear peoples recommendations on what they use, or what they recommend.

Thanks in advance!

DidNothingFatal is offline Senior Member
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 405, GPS training device, use it coupled to bike sensor too, for full monitoring when road biking. Really pleased with it.
    Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

TylerB is offline Junior Member
    holy moly, that is one full on training device. i really hope that is not the only recommendation i get otherwise i will be 'forced' to buy it

Geoff is offline Member
    Polar makes some quality HRMs, with the most affordable starting around $50 where I live. I also have one from Oregon Scientific that was even less expensive. Timex has some relatively inexpensive ones as well. I've used them all and find them to be reliable and work as advertised. The downside of the Polar unit is that the battery for the chest monitor cannot be replaced by the user. The Oregon Scientific is a smaller watch that doesn't fit my wrist well. The less expensive Timex units are analog and may not always communicate with cardio machines.

Generally speaking the more you're willing to pay the more features you get. Me, I just like a high/low alarm and an average HR reading, so the low cost models suit me fine.

batty is offline Senior Member
    i found the polar F6 to fit my needs perfectly. not too horrendously expensive, either.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

DidNothingFatal is offline Senior Member
    If the Forerunner 405 has too many features the Forerunner 50 is a good option, one of the runners at work uses it, but the Footpod is a hassle to fit to Vibram FiveFingers or barefoot The Garmin Forerunners also sync up to the Garmin Connect website so you can monitor your training, automatically create assorted metrics. The range isn't too bad, so you can use the HRM whilst weight training, I sometimes record my Kettlebell sessions.
    Last edited by DidNothingFatal; 04-18-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I don't use a heart rate monitor other than my 'natural' one. Breathing easily---not working enough. Panting ---in the range. Passed out---went too far and am resting.

I would like to find a device that could go on my wrist, to use for Tabata sprints.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    i found the polar F6 to fit my needs perfectly. not too horrendously expensive, either.
    I have the F7 and I'm quite happy with it. BTW (@Geoff): You can replace the battery in the chest transmitter yourself for the newer Polar models ... I just replaced mine a couple of months ago (a standard 2025 lithium cell for EUR 3, if I remember correctly). :-)

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    I have the F7 and I'm quite happy with it.
    Was wondering: is the "WearLink+ transmitter" as comfy as they claim on their website?

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^ It's definitely comfy ... however, I sometimes have a bit of trouble with mine when it comes to transmitting correct data. It might have something to do though with the fact that I'm still carrying around a lot of excess fat, and the previous "solid" transmitters were prone to the same problems. One thing you definitely need to do is to make the transmitter fit very tightly and make sure that it doesn't move around on the skin while you exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast