Thread: Primal Journal ^*Tiki Jane*^ page

Tiki Jane is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal ^*Tiki Jane*^

Primal Fuel
    My darling husband has been on board with the Atkins/Eads/low carb approach for a long time, but I was more skeptical. He corresponded with Dr Eads and was chosen to do "The 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle" last August (we're just a little older than Mark!). About the same time, he came down with gout and a really bad cold! We put the plan on hold and next thing we knew - it was March. I came across Mark's book The Primal Blueprint and was hooked. His approach was realistic, but light hearted - fun! What a concept! But the failure of our efforts last summer with the Eads' plan was a reality check: even with a book, we were always scrambling for ingredients or trying to plan meals. I'm a public high school teacher with 20 minutes for lunch and a 40 minute commute. My husband works at home and is usually either on the phone or in front of his computer (or both).

So this time around, I'm doing a lot more prep. I'm looking for menus, sources for ingredients - especially organic meats and oils. We do have several farms within 100 miles that sell organic beef, lamb and pork. We're putting in a garden and getting Indian Runner ducklings (they're great layers) this month, but home production is at least 8 weeks away. I live in an isolated rural area where the nearest organic grocery store is 55 miles away. Finding MDA and links to other sites have helped a lot. I want to have at least 3 weeks of menus in place before we start and that's what I'm doing now.

We're going to revisit the Eads' "6 Week Cure..." as soon as I re-read it and am sure I've got menus and ingredients for the first 2 weeks in place. For the last 3 months, I've subscribed to a service called "e-mealz" and it puts together a weekly dinner menu complete with organized shopping list. It's been a godsend and they have a low-carb option, so I've kept us on a fair low-carb program since January. We also discovered a fizzy soda called "Zevia" and we like the black cherry version a lot!

So right now, we're completing the planning stages and have built the duck pens, and planted tomatoes, onions and berries with squash, bell peppers, and herbs next. Next step is a check of supplements, then it's time to get this show on the road!

Today we did pretty well:
    B: no msg sausage, eggs with onion
    L: IF
    D: grilled salmon with mayo/dill sauce and fresh tomato
    S: blueberries with whipped cream

We aren't giving up dairy totally, but our intake is very limited. Right now, I'm off to order the supplements for the Eads plan.

Tiki Jane is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm putting my mom on notice that we're transitioning this week towards eliminating sugars, caffeine, grains, most dairy (except for butter and a little whipped cream for the blueberries!) and on Saturday, we'll be really intense for 2 weeks. Mom likes to offer me ginger ale and cookies when I visit her after work and tries to make us a really nice Sunday dinner. Bless her heart, she's a potato lover, but she's nearly 90 so...

We were able to stick with our all primal menu today, so our carb/sugar intake has been nearly 0 for 4 days now. It really is getting easier and that's encouraging!