Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how do most primal eaters know how many calories to eat a day or do you page

jedward2 is offline Senior Member

So how do most primal eaters know how many calories to eat a day or do you

Shop Now
    even count them? I love being a low carb eater but I need to cut out diet drinks and a few other things.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry about calories in the least. As long as you are eating primal foods in reasonable quantities you shouldn't have to worry about caloric intake. Yes, ditch the diet drinks like they are hot.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I don't count calories either, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're high. If you eat enough fat you'll fill up pretty easily, and you'll stay satisfied for a long time. I still don't understand the IF things that some people talk about. I usually do 12 to 15 hours without even trying to.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I'm only on month 2 of eathing primal, but I haven't counted calories yet. One of my primal buddies put it this way, "If you're hungry, eat. If you're not... don't." I only consider what I eat, not how much. So far that's worked well for me.
    Last edited by barryman9000; 04-17-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: underline formating

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    I do count, about 50% of the time. I'm still learning to eyeball my calories, so logging on fitday really helps me. I eat what I want through the day, then tally it up at night to see what the numbers look like, but I don't dictate what I eat by the numbers. Make sense?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't count calories, but I occasionally enter my meals into My Fitness Pal to check up on my macros. Since MFP spits out a calorie count along with the info I'm really after, I have a clue.

I find that eating the right foods, unweighed and unmeasured, is very effective. Too much tracking leads to obsession: http://inthenightlife.blogspot.com/2...ng-tracks.html
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-17-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I kind of need to keep track as I need a lot of protein to keep my muscle mass (if we go by 1x lean weight I need like 225g of protein in a day). If I don't actually think about it I'd probably hang around the 150g mark for protein... If I was average sized it would be easier, because all you really need to do is match grams of fat to grams of protein ("fat equals 9 calories while protein equals 4 calories") as their ratio is essentially 2 to 1. That will give you a 69% fat diet if you went no carb.

If you base your numbers off of your lean weight it becomes very simple. Your lean weight gives you your protein value, which then gives you an easy fat value.

For myself, I can eat 100g of carbs and still keep a caloric fat percentage of 61% without increasing my fat consumption. But, for someone half my size the same amount of carbs will have double the effect on macro-nutrient ratios as it would with me.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I find that eating the right foods, unweighed and unmeasured, is very effective. Too much tracking leads to obsession: http://inthenightlife.blogspot.com/2...ng-tracks.html
    Nice blog post -- I can relate!

Same as DR, I'm using FitDay to help learn to eyeball just what I'm eating (for instance, and in particular, nuts can be *very* deceiving and easy to overeat -- measuring and logging is helping me learn what a "reasonable" portion *really* looks like! ). But I also know I'm getting carried away with obsessing over it (and as in your blog post, I sort of enjoy it; you wouldn't believe the spreadsheets I've used to analyze and track weight loss in the past! Complete with statistical analysis, graphs and linear regression projections... ); fortunately, I do sense an easing up as I approach my overall goals -- hope to get as easy with it as you have!

darienx19 is offline Senior Member
    I only keep an eye on carbs, and that's just until I am done with weight loss. I'll still be mindful of them once I get to maintenance, but I've been quite enjoying the freedom of learning to eat what my body wants and stopping when I'm full.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i usually enter mine...only b/c i need to meet a cal goal everyday(3000) at least b/c i m trying to gain... it is DAMMMNNN hard somedays to get that much and others it is WAY easy to exceed. i am more interested in my nutrients tho, the calories is a quick glance of accountability

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast