Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Husband and I--Two Primals Walk Into a Restaurant page

rki
    rki is offline Senior Member

Red face My Husband and I--Two Primals Walk Into a Restaurant

Primal Fuel
    I have just a short odd story to share with some people who might appreciate it--namely, other Primals.

My husband and I have both gone Primal. I did it because my health critical and I was desperate--a timely word in my ear brought me here, and I thought it was worth a try. My husband is primal mostly to support me, and because losing 20 lbs wouldn't be un-welcome. I'm very stubborn and haven't cheated yet--the difference has meant that much to me. He'll cheat now-and-then, as he wants to.

We went out to eat. I ordered the half-rack of ribs and some vegetables. He ordered one of those monstrous deserts which included a 5' x 5' x 2' cookie-thing, a large scoop of ice-cream, and plenty of chocolate sauce and whipped-cream to top it off.

I was just loving on my ribs. I was humming and making smacking and slurping noises. I would have licked my plate if the waiter hadn't already been giving me odd looks because I was sucking and gnawing a little on the naked bones (am I the only former-vegetarian to go a little funny on the Primal Diet?).

I looked over to my poor husband, and he wore this look of vague dis-taste as he labored through the better part of his desert. I felt so bad for him. As we were walking out, and he was holding his stomach a little, I asked him if he enjoyed his cheat.

"It wasn't bad. It sure wasn't good. I'll tell you what though, next time I'm ordering the ribs."

Yessiree. Your tastes change after a while.

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    hahahaaa... that was great! Glad you are so strong! My hubby (not Primal, but not anti-primal) ate Ben & jerry's Envison Whirled Peace next to me on the couch... it looked yummy, but I turned down "even just a little taste?"....

jedward2 is offline Senior Member
    I love going out to eat and getting steak and them feeling great after wards because there was no baked potato to follow.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I can feel with your husband for sure. It only takes a few times before you give it up entirely - the discomfort just isn't worth it. I used to be addicted to Boston Pizza's chocolate explosion - after my chicken stromboli and fries :-( The last time I had a chocolate explosion it just about killed me.

hutax is offline Member
    I can relate, I did it twice and boy did I pay for it. Bad stomach. Once you've re-aligned the genes there's no going back.

jermicide is offline Member
    cheated last night... paying for it today... had a manhattan and a few cookies my wife had just baked..

feel like crap at 11am, still haven't felt like eating..

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I had a small cheat last night, as we were having a retirement dinner. Indulged in some calamari and a Southern Comfort, made me flush at the time but dissipated quickly.

MyPrimalLife is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rki View Post
    I have just a short odd story to share with some people who might appreciate it--namely, other Primals.

My husband and I have both gone Primal. I did it because my health critical and I was desperate--a timely word in my ear brought me here, and I thought it was worth a try. My husband is primal mostly to support me, and because losing 20 lbs wouldn't be un-welcome. I'm very stubborn and haven't cheated yet--the difference has meant that much to me. He'll cheat now-and-then, as he wants to.

We went out to eat. I ordered the half-rack of ribs and some vegetables. He ordered one of those monstrous deserts which included a 5' x 5' x 2' cookie-thing, a large scoop of ice-cream, and plenty of chocolate sauce and whipped-cream to top it off.

I was just loving on my ribs. I was humming and making smacking and slurping noises. I would have licked my plate if the waiter hadn't already been giving me odd looks because I was sucking and gnawing a little on the naked bones (am I the only former-vegetarian to go a little funny on the Primal Diet?).

I looked over to my poor husband, and he wore this look of vague dis-taste as he labored through the better part of his desert. I felt so bad for him. As we were walking out, and he was holding his stomach a little, I asked him if he enjoyed his cheat.

"It wasn't bad. It sure wasn't good. I'll tell you what though, next time I'm ordering the ribs."

Yessiree. Your tastes change after a while.
    You cheated too...that BBQ sauce is full of sugar.

verdilak is offline Member
    Yeah, gotta watch the sugar, but you are lucky that you didn't get a headache or anything from it. I get a terrible, pounding headache when I eat HFCS and crappy oils.
    Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPrimalLife View Post
    You cheated too...that BBQ sauce is full of sugar.
    I was thinking that, but she had the right idea in general (to go meat + vegs) definitely try to limit/cut sugars out and you will notice a big difference.

To your original point, my gf has been trying to cut out sugars somewhat successfully - some minor Dunkin Donut muffin relapses - and I took her for ice cream last night and she wasn't able to finish hers. Made her a little sick so her body is already changing its reaction to sugar. Everything tastes much sweeter to me ever since cutting it out. Surprisingly, other things are still "sweet" in different ways. I often wonder why I felt the need to add sugar to things such as tea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast