Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello! A couple of newbie questions... page 2

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi Cao I'm new too. Just stopping by to say hi and offer my support.
    Amanda

I'll second what everyone's said about the virtues of fat and veggies (throw some leafy greens into your plan there! They are the bestest!). But I'll add one more thing:

Calories are complicated. You said you're letting yourself eat as much as you want while you transition, which I think is an excellent idea, but it sounds like you've got calorie restriction intentions coming up. I'd caution you not to set any calorie restriction goals right now. Some people find it's helpful or necessary for weight loss on PB. I, on the other hand, found that when I went primal I started eating a lot more, in terms of both volume and calories, and didn't gain any weight at all.

So whatever "maintenance" baseline you're working from now, it'll probably change once you're adjusted to primal. You're going to have to pay very close attention to what your body does once it's adjusted before you start jimmying with calories. If you find you can lose weight just eating primal foods - then just stick with that! If you find you can lose weight working with Mark's carb curve, then just work with that. If you've given both a solid go and you're still not losing, give calorie restriction a try. But if you start arbitrarily restricting calories before really exploring how your body reacts to the new way of eating, you may find yourself feeling tired and crappy no matter now 80/20 or 90/10 you are.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Sasha the Cat; 12-31-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typing "carbs" when I meant "calories."

cao
    cao is offline Junior Member
    Wow, thank you everyone for the replies What a lovely community! Owen, you sound a lot like me, how are you feeling at this point? How long have you been doing primal? And Amanda: thanks for saying hi! How have you been getting on? I slipped off the primal wagon over the holidays but have been back on the past week and I feel wonderful. Still doing lean protein, eggs, sardines, veg, and white potatoes with additional fat in the form of coconut oil and olive oil. The only "cheat" in the past week were a couple of skim lattes: I am going to try bulletproof coffee recipe tomorrow When I added a bit more fat and a lot more fiber I felt the satiety people have spoken of: I'm really pleased thus far.
    Has anyone else read Tom Venuto's book The Bodyfat Solution? He's not primal but he has a lot of solid commonsense advice that I enjoyed a great deal. Any thoughts on him?

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Hey cao,

I am an ease in person. Not very many are here, I think. My main problem with easing in is that it's also easier to ease out! My advice for your update on foods is to keep doing what you're doing. You said you have found the satiety without bulletproof coffee so don't go crazy with tweaks yet. Use some heavy cream in your coffee if you do dairy. Venuto still advocates for grains and that messes up a lot of people. I think he also fails by treating what's going on in your head as somehow separate from the foods you eat. There are lots of people on this forum who find certain foods trigger certain behaviors (especially eating behaviors). Anyways, you're tweaking too fast. Stick to one way of eating for 6 months and then tweak.

Something you might look into as far as finding cheap sources of grass-fed fat is looking at lard. I never even was aware of the stuff before I went primal. However, even the grass-fed animal lard rendered by the store is cheaper than decent butter! I do a lot of free-range chicken thighs as well because they are cheap.

Of course, I'm also lucky to have an excellent co-op grocery store in my town!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    There are two things that make me hungry:

1. Lots of cardio - as soon as I stopped doing chronic cardio and started lifting heavy instead, I noticed that my appetite was suppressed after a working out rather than my feeling ravenous.

2. Not eating enough fat - if you're trying to lose some weight then you may want to lower your carb intake...to a level that is right for you. However if you want to avoid energy slumps I reckon it's important to compensate by eating more fat. This, probably more than anything else, for me, stopped me from feeling hungry a lot.

I'm actually quite interested to see what is going to happen to me over the next couple of months re point 1, as I'm about to start half marathon training (after 5 months out from running) - although I'll be a lot more careful about how I train this time round....I know now that more miles is not better!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12