Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSG in my Chongga Kimchi! page

MSG in my Chongga Kimchi!

Was curious to find out what you guys think of MSG in my Kimchi.

There is also some Guar Gum.

Considering we've been looking for Fermented Kimchi for some time we do not want to give it up as its delicious. BUT if it can be harmful to eat regularly( we eat it with Breakfast and dinner).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend bought some kimchi and it, too, had MSG on the label. My suspicion is that any kimchi that you buy isn't really fermented. It's just flavored to taste similar to real kimchi. I intend to see if the Asian market has any real kimchi so we can tell the difference. If they don't, I don't plan to eat any kimchi at all. I'm sure I can live happily without it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

peril is offline Senior Member
    Asian grocers here have the genuine article. I would avoid anything with MSG or guar gum. WTF is a thickener doing in kimchi?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Yeah, i found that almost all brands did not mention any fermentation so I didn't buy them.
    For our limited Kimchi offerings this was the only brand that listed 'Fermented Anchovies and Fermented shrimp' on the ingredients.
    I've been eating this for a week and have definitely noticed a big difference. I'm just concerned about the MSG & Guar Gum.

Peril, Can you give me a brand name that i could locate in our local Asian stores?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, these are locally produced in plastic tubs like takeaway containers. Helps to have lots of Koreans living here. Don't have any in the house so can't give you any labels
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I buy mine from a Korean man at my farmers market, and I know it's fermented for real because if you store the sealed jar on the shelf instead of in the fridge and you don't eat it right away, it will continue to ferment and will blow the seal on the lid.

That was a fun cleanup job.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I buy mine from a Korean man at my farmers market, and I know it's fermented for real because if you store the sealed jar on the shelf instead of in the fridge and you don't eat it right away, it will continue to ferment and will blow the seal on the lid.

That was a fun cleanup job.
    LOL this often happens to me too. My plastic tub of kimchi is actually full of MSG, yet I know it has fermented as well due to the symptoms of the jar you just described. The labeling says there is no MSG, but I feel it after eating it (higher pulse, thirsty, bloated next day, etc). I guess you can't guarantee either way if it's going to have MSG in it.

Do you think that eating this Kimchi is still ok. Do the benefits of the Fermentation outweigh the MSG?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is a good question. My kimchi has been sitting in my fridge, uneaten, for a while now. I don't want it to go to waste, but I'm highly sensitive to MSG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast