Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: morbidly obese newbie looking for support page 3

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Jon! Just saying hi from another newbie. Lots of luck and support!!
    Amanda

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    You might enjoy reading Dave's story - I can't read it enough! The Unconquerable Dave | Mark's Daily Apple
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jon,
    I have been pretty much primal since April and started at 380 myself. I weighed in yesterday morning at 267 after splurging over Christmas! You can do this!

A couple of tips:
    1) Learn to just get the f**k over it! You grab a Snickers on the way home from work? Get the f**k over it. You eat a box of girl scout cookies one night before bed? Get the f**k over it. Don't let one or two mistakes destroy what you are working for. this used to happen to me when I have tried to lose weight in the past. I would binge on something I should not eat and tell myself "well, you already screwed up today so might as well just get back on track in the morning". Then i would pig out all day. The n it would turn into "well, might as well wait till Monday now that I have screwed everything up". DON"T DO THAT! Just get the f**k over it and eat right starting right then.

2) You do not have to exercise for hours and hours a week! Any exercise will produce results. If you are 380 you probably are not a big fan of exercise in general(neither am I but I am getting there). If you were you would not be 380. If you over do it you will get sick of it and stop all together. I think shows like The Biggest Loser do a huge disservice to over weight people as they make them believe that you have to workout for hours on end to achieve results and most people will just do nothing if they believe you have to put in that much time. There is no way I can do traditional "cardio" for hours and hours. You can replace volume of exercise with intensity and get fantastic results. For me, Sprint 8 twice a week and about 30 minutes of weight training twice a week works great. My strength training is high intensity one set to failure of 8-10 exercises and get out of the gym and go home. Would more time in the gym get better results? Maybe, maybe not but I don't care. I can stick with what I am doing at that what really matters to me.

As Nike likes to say "just do it". If you screw up, get the f**k over it and move on!

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Just want to add, when I say pretty much primal I would say I am about 70% primal I would guess. I do not eat grass fed meat, I use Miracle Whip in my tuna and chicken salad, I still drink diet Mtn Dew way to much and still eat wings from BWW(they are pretty low cab though). I eat around 25-30 carbs a day so I am really low carb and it works for me.

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    MamaGrok, you are so right. Dave's story is a constant source of inspiration. I have read it several times.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
    MamaGrok, you are so right. Dave's story is a constant source of inspiration. I have read it several times.
    and shared it...I love to just look at the pictures
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuuMuu View Post
    Hi! I just saw this and wanted to offer some encouragement. I started out super morbidly obese and I think I've made it to morbidly obese so I'm making progress. Seriously, I started around a year ago at over 518 lbs, facing more and more difficulties with my health and my mobility (right now I'm 320 or so with a long, long journey still ahead of me but I can move and function again and largely have my life back).
    MuuMuu!! 200 pounds? You freaking ROCK, girl! I am in awe.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

You've been doing Crossfit for the past 3 months? Good for you!!! Did you go from mostly sedentary to Crossfitting? If so - that right there is probably a harder lifestyle change than eating primally will be. That, to me, proves beyond doubt that you've got what it takes to make this work! You should be proud of yourself already!

In terms of making it work with a crazy work schedule (been there!) - I recommend a few things.
    1) Keep primal snacks around. Macadamias, carrot sticks, jerky - keep it in your office drawer, and it'll keep you away from the vending machine.
    2) Do NOT keep non-primal snacks around. Because you WILL eat them.
    3) Buy a crockpot.
    4) When you have time to cook (or when using your crock pot), cook in bulk and freeze. Having a jar or four of leftover stew in the freezer for nights you work late is a LIFESAVER!
    5) I'd recommend blocking off one night a week or month to go all out with cooking! Get some of Mark's cookbooks or another Paleo cookbook and make yourself a nice, decadent, primal meal. There is much deliciousness to be had while eating primally, so carve out some time, even just a little, to experiment! :-)

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    Just want to add, when I say pretty much primal I would say I am about 70% primal I would guess. I do not eat grass fed meat, I use Miracle Whip in my tuna and chicken salad, I still drink diet Mtn Dew way to much and still eat wings from BWW(they are pretty low cab though). I eat around 25-30 carbs a day so I am really low carb and it works for me.
    I personally would try to go as primal as possible. Sticking to low carb WILL get you to lose weight, pretty much whether or not you're actually primal... but so much of the success that I've seen BEYOND weight loss is because I've cut out junk (chemicals, rancid oils, CAFO meat) that doesn't belong in the human body.

Definitely don't FREAK OUT if you slip up, this is a long-term way of eating and life, not a crash diet. You haven't ruined things if you have to have a snickers bar.
    Strive for perfection, be happy with 80/20 (I'll post a link to what Mark said about this... as soon as I can find it)

Lunalotus is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi! I too am new and have quite a bit of weight to loose. Good luck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast