Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAD to RAW to PRIMAL...My Journey page

BoricuaCourt is offline Junior Member

SAD to RAW to PRIMAL...My Journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, So I have been stalking this website and the forums for like 2 days now. I don't remember how I even got here but I'm glad I did.

I've always been big guy. My fat definitely came from sugary desserts..too much of them! I was never a fan of bread, my family use to make fun of me because I would eat my hot dogs and hamburgers without buns..bread seemed like a pointless "filler" to me, even as an 8 year old..I just want to get to the POINT..which was the meat! lol. But also at the same time, I wasn't a huge fan of all meat either. Pork was definitely my favorite (bacon, sausage, pork chops, YUM!) but as far as beef, I would only eat ground beef, because steak and ribs grossed me out. Same thing with chicken. I only liked chicken tenders because there were no bones. Seafood..yeah that wasn't going near my mouth lol. I didn't eat a lot of fruits or veggies either(unless french fries counted lol). So you can see, I'm a very picky eater. I've always been one of those people who are never hungry during the day, and would just eat one giant meal at dinner. So on a typical day, I would always skip breakfast and lunch. For dinner I would start with 4 packs of Reese's cups, some sweet tea, 3 or 4 hotdogs without bun, orange soda, and 6 or 7 oatmeal cream pies, or donuts, or other various pies. So as you can see, even though I wasn't eating the grains or even snacking throughout the day, I was definitely carb'ing it up with all the processed sugars at night. Looking back, I'm surprised I'm not diabetic.

I'm 22 years old and currently 355lbs..which is the same weight I've been since junior year in high school. For most guys that would be a lot, but for me, standing at 5'7", that's way too much! I was always pretty active though. In high school, I played tennis and was a male cheerleader (I liked the gymnastics! lol). So I believe because of that, my weight didn't blow up into the 400s and also allowed me to maintain a good muscle tone under the fat tissue, because people always told me I looked no wear near 350+lbs and that I "carry it well". I guess they are right because throwing and landing a back flip with 350lbs glued to you requires a lot of muscle strength and control.

So recently I've always imagine what a great physique I must have hidden under all of this adipose tissue. So back in March, I became a Raw Foodist and was juicing fruits and veggies like it was going out of style. I lost 60lbs within 2.5 months. After a while though I felt that "wasting away" feeling. I couldn't run as fast anymore in my weekly tennis matches, and I would tire out more quickly (Normally, even at this weight, I can play straight for 3+ hours, but after going raw I could barely do an hour). So I dropped the raw food diet like a bad habit and went back to my hot dogs and oatmeal cream pies and donuts. I got my energy back up and felt better, but at the same time, being a Raw Foodist for that time taught me that I needed to be eating as clean as possible. So I dropped processed foods, and switched to raw vegan desserts and snacks and still juiced here and there, and also joined a gym. So I guess you can say over the past two months I have been a mixture of paleo-raw hybridness, because I would have the occasional hot dog or chicken salad.

Honestly, I had misconceptions about Paleo and primal eating. Mainly from my Raw Foodists friends. I was under the impression that you went out into the wild and ate raw organ meat fresh from a dead carcass. That was enough for me to not even looked into what paleo was about. But after stalking you guys for the past two days, I felt empowered to give it a shot. I've accidentally been primal for the last 2 days. 2 days ago I was recovering from a hangover so the only thing I had to eat was a few apples and some eggs. Then yesterday I was unusually busy and didn't eat all day until I got home at 9pm and had some (disgusting I might add) 7-Eleven hot dogs and a few grapes. This morning I woke up and decided to do it right. I did some sprinting, then ate 6 eggs and 8 strips of bacon for lunch (from Denny's).

I feel really good about this. I do still want to eat as clean as possible including organic and grass fed and cage free and all that, so I went to my Trader Joes, where I've always shopped since I went Raw. I'm not going to lie though, part of me felt guilty, confused, and partly ashamed. Because I've honestly never bought meat there before so I kept asking everyone what was what. Then in the back of my head the "raw voice" was saying "Ew Meat! What are you doing?!?! Go get some Kale!" which I did do. Then I get to the cashier, who is a raw foodist that I've actually swapped raw recipes with, and I pull up my cart with 4 packs of a bacon, some chicken, 4 cartons of eggs, 6 different types of sausages, and turkey patties, and she looked at me with the most horrified accusatory expression that I haven't seen since Law and Order: SVU last night. There was too much back and forth chatter going on in my head that I just kept quiet, looked at the ground and didn't say a word except "Good night." But I got home and loved eating this bacon. All in all: I think this is going to be an interesting transition. I'm still trying to get my mind to believe that it's ok to eat bacon. My scale ironically broke 4 days ago, because I get obsessed with weighing myself everyday when I start something new, and now I won't be able to, which is OK because I think it will allow me to focus more on how I feel and how my clothes are fitting and looking instead of the pounds lost.

Thank you all for reading my long, all over the place, introduction lol. I promise the next one will be more structured lol.

-BoricuaCourt

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Should be awesome to see how you go!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Can you cook? The transition will be easier if you know your way around a kitchen.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Can you cook? The transition will be easier if you know your way around a kitchen.
    Lol that's actually the funny part. I used to be an excellent cook, but since I went raw I basically haven't even used a stove in almost a year. After I made my post I decided to cook some bacon, on the stove. Needless to say, it was an interesting feat. Took me 5 minutes to figure out if I had the heat high or low enough, then I burned the bacon, but it was still good. Then I didn't know what to do with the bacon grease. When I was younger my mom had a steel container that we would put it in and we would reuse the grease if we ever needed it. The pan was smoking so I was running around my house trying to figure out where to put it, set off my smoke alarms, and then ended up pouring it down the sink to get rid of it..bad, I know. Hopefully tomorrow's cooking will be a little bit better. Transitioning back into cooking will be a challenge for sure, but I think it will get better with some practice.

The hardest part is convincing myself that this way of eating is ok. I've been in this "raw foods" mindset for so long, and only occasionally slipping off it to eat some grilled chicken here and there, that the thought of eating bacon, eggs, and other meat seems so blasphemous. I guess it really did a number on me lol. I just have to keep looking at the success stories for inspiration and to know that this will work because it is our true path to eating. I also have not yet read Primal Blueprint yet either, so maybe after I soak in that knowledge it will sit better with me then too.

Day 2 - Part 1

So far so good! I woke up about an hour ago (12:45pm)..I seriously love sleeping late, but I don't like having to stay up late to compensate lol. I waited about 30 minutes and then cooked some bacon and sausage. Honestly, I can get use to eating this goodness lol. The underlining guilt is still there but more guilt that I can eat this way and be health as hell than guilt about "cheating" on my raw foods "relationship." Technically today is day 5, but I didn't actually consciously start until yesterday, but I have noticed that my clothes are fitting a little less tight. As I said before my scale broke last week, and I wasn't planning on replacing it because I like said I didn't want to get caught up on the numbers, but now I think I want to replace it because I'm excited about seeing the numbers drop. Hmm..decisions decisions.

Also, I've been Raw for so long that I don't have any cookware. I was actually surprised to find that I had a frying pan last night. So I have to go out and buy a baking sheet to cook some of the meat on. I like the frying pan but I don't like getting popped by hot grease every 7 seconds, so I think I'm going to start cooking in the oven instead.

Sidenote: Has anyone ever done sprints or gymnastics tumbling on the beach? I did some the day before yesterday just because I felt like it and yesterday my body was in the worse pain ever. It was all muscle soreness, but I've never experienced that much before from a couple of sprints and a few backhand springs. I'm guessing it must be the beach sand but I don't know. Anyone have any experience with this?

Day 2 - Part 2

So today was a good day. I feel like I ate too much bacon throughout the day. Is that even possible? lol. I couldn't enough. I'm pretty sure I had about 10 pieces today, along with 3 eggs, 1 chicken sausage, and 1 pork sausage..and maybe 8 red grapes. I know I need to get some more fiber in so I'll probably add a couple of apples into my meals tomorrow.

Also I went out and bought some ketosis strips and from the color indicators, it looks like I'm "in" ketosis.
    20121223_204615.jpg
    As you can see it's between small and moderate amounts of ketone bodies. Should it be higher?

All in all I feel great. I tried to do the intermittent fasting today but it didn't work out too well because 1. I woke up at almost 1pm and 2. I couldn't get enough of that bacon! lol. Tomorrow I'm going to try to only eat betweeen 1pm and 6pm and keep that schedule. I didn't really do any exercise today as I was trying to let my body recover from those beach sprints the other day. Tomorrow I think I'll go for a hike, start doing push ups, and maybe a couple of sprints as well. In my head I imagine myself running through the woods, running down logs, bouncing off of things and climbing trees...hopefully I'll have the physicality to do that one day lol. Good night folks!

Exclamation Day 3

Quick update. Day 3 was good. Woke up around 11am..ate breakfast which consisted of 1 apple, some bacon, some eggs, and sausage. Didn't have time to work out this afternoon as I had to go drive around in circles at the airport terminal for literally hours while waiting for my friend's mom's plane to come in. When I got back home I fixed dinner which was again 1 apple some bacon and some sausage. After that a friend and I went this street in the Valley that people call "Candy Cane Lane" which all the residents decorate their houses in amazing Christmas lights and decor. We parked really far away because it was talking forever to just get through the neighborhood because there were so many cars. So because of that we actually got in a lot of walking tonight. I'd say 3 miles total.

So today, being day 3, I was wondering when I was going to have a bowel movement. Normally on my SAD diet my movements would be every other day sometimes once a day..but never 3 days unless I was fasting. About 15 minutes ago it came. But when I tell you it was the DRYEST movement I have ever had..I mean it! My legs were shaking and I literally had to grip the wall for stability and pain diversion. I wasn't straining to push it out as it was coming out fine by itself but it was taking its time..because it was so dry. Now I know I wasn't dehydrated because I drink a lot of water and I've urinated at least 6 times today and yesterday and the day before that. So what gives?

Looking back on it..it was actually pretty funny. Normally my movements are of the liquid nature because I'm lactose intolerant and also sensitive to processed sugars. When ever I have pasteurized dairy or sugary desserts like cupcakes, cookies, etc., it will always result in liquidness...I've been accustomed to that since I was a child so when a solid one comes along, it's a pleasant surprise but I've never had a solid one that was sooooo dry. Any insight? lol
    Last edited by BoricuaCourt; 12-24-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Merry Christmas everyone!

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    As fae as your bowel movement it is a 'garbage in, garbage out' thing. You eat thi ngs your body doesn't utilize and youbm's will be more frequent and looser. You eat what your body needs and there is for less waste. Smaller, denser bm's less frequently.

If you haven't done so yet, read the journal of Quelsen the Honey Badger. He's gone down almost 200 pounds!!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    As fae as your bowel movement it is a 'garbage in, garbage out' thing. You eat thi ngs your body doesn't utilize and youbm's will be more frequent and looser. You eat what your body needs and there is for less waste. Smaller, denser bm's less frequently.

If you haven't done so yet, read the journal of Quelsen the Honey Badger. He's gone down almost 200 pounds!!
    Well that definitely makes sense. Guess I'll just have to drink a lot more water. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast