Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changed my diet, critique please! page 3

Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Zoebird, one more question. Did your husband and friend count calories when they started out to quicken the fat loss process? I'm still not sure if I should be eating way more or if i'm ok. I want to lose fat at a good pace, but healthy

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's actually a more complex question than you know.

Before DH discovered paleo, he had this thing called "the dave diet." his friend dave -- who has been his lifting mentor for years and years -- gave him a diet to help him loose weight while maintaining and even building muscle weight. It was basically paleo. It was about 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat (or thereabouts). It was low fruit, no grains, but potato/sweet potato was on the list, and then as many veggies as he could put in. meat, eggs, and fats. All good stuff. Natural foods.

during this time, my husband leaned down very quickly while still maintainng and gaining muscle (and getting gains in the gym).

After doing the dave diet -- which he did strictly for about 6 months or so -- he added in his normal weston a price foundation foods. namely, sprouted, sour-dough bread once a week on sundays for breakfast (as part of a "big breakfast") with butter. He basically maintained the same leanness and continued to grow muscle.

His highest weight while maintining about 10% body fat was 175. Then, he hit an injury, we had a baby, moved to NZ, and started eating a lot more grains than before. Both of us became fatter, but we lost overall weight (muscle loss). DH was doing rehabilitative body-weight work during this time, and dropped to about 145 lbs, but was about 12% body fat or so. I was weighing in around 130 and 20-22% body fat.

At this point, we went primal/paleo. DH was put on a modified GAPS protocol as well to heal some gut issues as well. He continued with body weight and rehabilitative movements for the first year, and was able to maintain 145 lbs but dropped down to 8% body fat. Since he started lifting again about 6 months ago, he has gone up to 155 and maintained 8% body fat.

It is likely that as he continues on his cycles (how he lifts), he'll get back up to 175 in another year or so, and then see where he goes from there. He'd like to get a few more PRs (personal records) for his major lifts.

Though, his real, new passion is mobility work. He's well into learning more about functional movement and mobility, not just compound lifts and strength-building (which was his main focus before).

So, as you can see, it's a process. He is always fine-tuning; i'm always fine-tuning; you will fine-tune, too.

And no, he doesn't count calories. he follows his hunger. since I never answered that question directly.

And in the last two months, he's added an intermittent fasting protocol as well as is now in the process of giving up caffeine. Always tinkering.

Oh so it's a long process. So you're saying, don't worry too much about calories as long as i what i need and stick to Primal foods?

Also, Based on your/husband's experience, has Primal changed how you feel physically and emotionally? I do feel more energy, but sometimes I think it can be just a mental thing since i'm excited starting something new/different.

Well, life is a long process.

We don't worry much about calories -- just feeling satiety and sticking to healthy foods in that process (so, in this case, Primal ones). Particularly fi you are young, healthy, and active and don't have any special needs (ie, gut issues, autoimmune disorders, etc).

I would say that how we both feel physically/emotionally has improved.

My husband struggled with anxiety growing up. While he still has proclivities, since 2000 -- when he first increased his fat and went on the 'dave diet' -- his anxiety has consistently decreased over time. When he started the GAPS (gut and psychology syndrome) protocol, he saw a great reduction in symptoms (anxiety), and as such, he's feeling a lot happier, healthier, and more settled.

For myself, I grew up on a healthy SAD diet (more health food than sweets) as my mother was very much into fitness/body building (rare for a woman in the 1970s 80s when it was all "jazzercise"). I always had upset tummy issues, gas and bloating, and a little pooch under my navel no matter what I did for movement. I always thought my diet was great.

I then developed a pituitary tumor at age 20 and gained a lot of weight. At this point, I went vegan and gut out processed food. This was the same time that DH was learning about the Weston A Price foundation and just before he did the "dave diet."

I discovered that I was lactose intolerant. I can have small quantities, but will likely get a tummy ache. Raw is better than pasteurized for me. Even so, I learned to avoid it to feel better. I then went back to vegetarian becuase I had low cholesterol. So,I started eating eggs. Did the move to NZ and had the heavy-grain process (i wasn't heavy-grain in the US, really), and was up at 20-22% body fat.

When I went paleo, I was surprised at the results. I felt great, and lost the "pooch" that I'd had my whole life (post puberty anyway). and dropped to about 18-19% body fat. I also stopped having gas and upset tummies. So without grains/beans and dairy, I seem to feel best, physically.

Since going paleo, I've felt good and vibrant. I feel really great and don't feel overtired or worn down. I think my skin looks great. And we both sleep really well, too.

That's great to hear! Gives me motivation to stick to primal and see how it turns out because the old/usual diets I've tried and read about aren't as interesting as Primal. I was on Mark's daily apple blog everyday reading success stories and his 101 links. I've yet to buy the book though. I was skeptical because of how much fat intake was encouraged in Primal and sometimes I think I eat too much fat, but i feel good so far. Thanks! Hope you and your husband stays well and healthy!

We are between 40% and 50% calories from fat on average. Sometimes a bit less, usually no more than that .

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Oh gosh. I didn't know you are male. Just lift more, a lot more. You want to build muscle, forgo most cardio besides sprinting.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Don't do that, dear. One week is too short a time to determine whether it'll work for you or not. What works for someone else may make you gain weight and feel like crap. Ultimately, advice is all good but it's useless unless it works for you. Stick with what you've been eating for a month and then tweak it. You will know what's working then, nobody knows your body like you do.
    I agree completely. You need to give it more like a month to see change. I also agree about activity levels. If you are a guy who wants to decrease bf you'll need to do some heavy lifting at least 3x week. Try adding interval sprints in there as well and lay off any low level cardio or you may inadvertently lose weight.

PrimalCon New York
    Okay thanks guys, but what about the diet? Am i eating enough, need more, or less?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast