Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for anyone who's had ACL reconstructive surgery page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Question for anyone who's had ACL reconstructive surgery

Primal Fuel
    My TKD black-belt plan (was going to test in fall 2013) has been derailed by a torn ACL. Anyone here have ACL reconstructive surgery? If so, did you go the hamstring, patella or cadaver route? My surgeon strongly suggested hamstring (I do competitive tae kwon do, and I'm 42 years old, heavier than my goal weight but not truly overweight). I'll be asking him more about hamstring versus patella, and I'll also get a second opinion from a surgeon not in that practice, but I was wondering what people's experiences have been. Have you come back close to 100% post-surgery (and physical therapy)? Thanks in advance.

Well, for anyone who's interested, I did a lot more research, spoke to a number of people who have gone through ACL reconstruction, and double checked with my surgeon. Hamstring option is best for me; using the patella tendon leads to chronic knee pain. And as long as I do PT, there's an excellent chance I'll have 100% use of the knee -- which means back to competitive sparring. I'm a happy camper -- or I will be, once my surgery is done in early January. I'm looking forward to being active again; this sitting-on-my-duff thing got old within 48 hours, and I am so over being exhausted just running (hah - see what I did there?) errands. Bring on the surgery and the 8+ months of PT!

Velocity J is offline Member
    Good luck with the surgery and PT. It will all be worth it a year from now when you have your knee back.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity J View Post
    Good luck with the surgery and PT. It will all be worth it a year from now when you have your knee back.
    Thanks!

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    I had surgery (ACL, meniscus, MCL/LCL) just over two years ago now and am definitely back to 95% or so. I still have lingering problems with my menisci that I also tore though so nothing with the ACL. I went the patella tendon route as it was what my surgeon said he was most comfortable with, and I think that's one of the biggest issues.

I also think that hamstring tendon is preferred for women while patella tendon is preferred for guys but I'm not confident on that, not sure where I heard it.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with your surgery. Don't forget that mental practice(imagery) works almost as well as real practice - so keep up your skills in TKD with a couple of 20 minute 'mental ' pratice sessions a day. You will be amazed at how little skill you lose when you get back- it may take a while for the physical to cath back up though so give it lots of time.
    Cheers
    J

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Jackie, i had ACL?Meniscus reconstruction 14 years ago(cadaver), and just found out in the last few months, that I have no ACL. DOH!!! I am going in next month to have mine done again, this time with hamstring. This was my Doc's advice. Good luck to you, and be diligent with your rehab. Drink lots of bone broth too:-) Cheers, SG.
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Dan Pope is offline Junior Member
    Good luck with the rehab Jackie.

If it's any help I reviewed a recent article in the journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy about ACL rehab. Hope it helps. The Dreaded ACL Tear: Rehab Protocols from JOSPT and Solutions for Coaches and Trainers | FITNESS PAIN FREE

Dan Fitness Pain Free

Dan Pope is offline Junior Member
    Good luck with the rehab Jackie.

If it's any help I reviewed a recent article in the journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy about ACL rehab. Hope it helps. The Dreaded ACL Tear: Rehab Protocols from JOSPT and Solutions for Coaches and Trainers | FITNESS PAIN FREE

Dan Fitness Pain Free

Quote Originally Posted by jtrain_36 View Post
    I had surgery (ACL, meniscus, MCL/LCL) just over two years ago now and am definitely back to 95% or so. I still have lingering problems with my menisci that I also tore though so nothing with the ACL. I went the patella tendon route as it was what my surgeon said he was most comfortable with, and I think that's one of the biggest issues.

I also think that hamstring tendon is preferred for women while patella tendon is preferred for guys but I'm not confident on that, not sure where I heard it.
    Thanks for sharing, jtrain_36 - two people in my dojang, both women, had ACL reconstruction - one was hamstring and one was patella. I'm glad your knee is up to 95%. Sorry to hear about the ongoing menisci issues; I hope they can be rectified without too much hassle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast