Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for anyone who's had ACL reconstructive surgery page 3

cruncan is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Had ACL surgery not quite 2 years ago. Dr. Cain from the crew under Dr. Andrews(you know the guy who does every major athletes surgey in Birmingham, AL) operated on me. They used my Patella. I was back within 8 months 100% stealing bases like always. Dr. Andrews always uses the Patella. He's world renowned. I'm sure you will be fine either way. Mine feels so good that I plan on tearing my other ACL. haha jkjk I also had very knowledgable athletic trainers working with me 7 days a week. At some point in your rehab, you will question whether your knee is actually healing correctly; it is, just keep pushing. It's going to crack, slip and hurt like shat somedays, but once you get back 100%, you'll forget it ever happened.
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott FM View Post
    Hi Jackie
    I was in the identical situation 4 years ago. I blew my ACL 3 days before testing for my senior red belt rank in TkD.

The doctor went with a hamstring graft and while painful, it seems to have worked well for me. There were a couple of things that I believe helped wit the healing: recirculating cold water compress and electrical stimulation during rehab. I had little swelling and was able to get working on rehab sooner.

8 months seems a bit short for healing, as the bone needs to regrow around the graft. Sooner than that, you run the risk of it fraying. Take your time! As to sparring: you'll have to spar with a brace to prevent another hyperextension. Mine is a Breg like the NFL players wear and in slows reaction time and flexibility.

All that being said, I just tested in December for my senior second degree rank....so you'll eventually get there. Best of luck with your healing.
    Thanks for sharing, Scott! While I hope that I will get the all clear by Labor Day, I won't do anything without the all clear from my surgeon and PT. Once I'm off crutches, I will start doing private lessons for hand techniques, which I had wanted to improve anyway. I'll happily wear a brace during sparring, even during other parts of class, if that's what it takes. Congrats on your rank!!! It's very encouraging to hear that you returned to TKD after the surgery and PT.

Quote Originally Posted by cruncan View Post
    Had ACL surgery not quite 2 years ago. Dr. Cain from the crew under Dr. Andrews(you know the guy who does every major athletes surgey in Birmingham, AL) operated on me. They used my Patella. I was back within 8 months 100% stealing bases like always. Dr. Andrews always uses the Patella. He's world renowned. I'm sure you will be fine either way. Mine feels so good that I plan on tearing my other ACL. haha jkjk I also had very knowledgable athletic trainers working with me 7 days a week. At some point in your rehab, you will question whether your knee is actually healing correctly; it is, just keep pushing. It's going to crack, slip and hurt like shat somedays, but once you get back 100%, you'll forget it ever happened.
    Thanks for sharing, cruncan! Glad to hear you returned to stealing bases. Hah - yeah, get another bionic knee! And I will definitely keep pushing!

Following up: It is 11 days post surgery. As of 2 days ago, I had 78 degrees bendibility in my knee, and I think I've gotten up to 90 in the past 2 days. My PT says I should be a poster child for doing PT, which is nice to hear, especially when he gives me even more exercises to do. I may be able to drive as of today, and I will be down to 1 crutch tomorrow. Up-downs (using 1 crutch for support/balance, get up from seated position, stand, hold for 3 seconds, sit down) suck and are painful, but I'm committed to getting back to squats, so I'm powering through. PT 3 times each day at home, plus seeing the PT 2 times a week. My surgeon is very pleased with how well I'm doing, and he's sure I'll be walking by the time I see him in 2.5 weeks. The swelling is pretty bad in my leg, but my doc says that's normal. I don't know if eating/not eating certain foods might help with that; I'll post about that in the nutrition section. Thanks again to everyone who posted here - your comments were all very helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123