Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for anyone who's had ACL reconstructive surgery page 2

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Good luck with your surgery. Don't forget that mental practice(imagery) works almost as well as real practice - so keep up your skills in TKD with a couple of 20 minute 'mental ' pratice sessions a day. You will be amazed at how little skill you lose when you get back- it may take a while for the physical to cath back up though so give it lots of time.
    Cheers
    J
    Thank you - this is incredibly helpful! I've been going to TKD class to watch my kids and husband and friends continue their lessons, and I'm going to be helping my family review their forms. The mental imagery idea is a wonderful suggestion - thank you for sharing it!

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    Jackie, i had ACL?Meniscus reconstruction 14 years ago(cadaver), and just found out in the last few months, that I have no ACL. DOH!!! I am going in next month to have mine done again, this time with hamstring. This was my Doc's advice. Good luck to you, and be diligent with your rehab. Drink lots of bone broth too:-) Cheers, SG.
    No ACL!!! Yikes! I read that the cadaver ACL could deteriorate. Good luck with your surgery! I'm meeting my PT two days before the surgery; looking forward to it. And today I made two massive batches of beef bone broth and chicken soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pope View Post
    Good luck with the rehab Jackie.

If it's any help I reviewed a recent article in the journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy about ACL rehab. Hope it helps. The Dreaded ACL Tear: Rehab Protocols from JOSPT and Solutions for Coaches and Trainers | FITNESS PAIN FREE

Dan Fitness Pain Free
    Thanks, Dan! I liked your review of the article. I'm not sure what the difference is between closed-chain and open-chain, but when I meet my PT in two days, I'll stress that I am looking forward to getting back to TKD, both for competitive sparring and for progressing to my black belt. I'm positive that we'll work together well and make that happen.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    I had the patella graft done almost 20 years ago now. Just had a meniscus tear repaired a year ago but otherwise haven't had any real issues. I ran the Boston Marathon in 2000 and my knee didn't hurt any more than any other part of my body did afterwards

The rehab is the key. You sound like you are pretty committed to your martial art. Stick to the rehab protocol and don't rush things too much and you should be back to full strength by the end of the year at the latest.

Then you'll need more time to get over the mental aspect of the injury like not favoring the knee, but that's just part of the process.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain_36 View Post
    I had surgery (ACL, meniscus, MCL/LCL) just over two years ago now and am definitely back to 95% or so. I still have lingering problems with my menisci that I also tore though so nothing with the ACL. I went the patella tendon route as it was what my surgeon said he was most comfortable with, and I think that's one of the biggest issues.

I also think that hamstring tendon is preferred for women while patella tendon is preferred for guys but I'm not confident on that, not sure where I heard it.
    I am a guy - had the patellar tendon version done over a decade ago.

I worked my a** off in rehab and within six months, I was doing everything I had been doing before. At that point in time, I was mostly running ultramarathons and skiing. I ran a trail 50 miler just before the six month point after the surgery and I was skiing without a brace two weeks later.

I've skied well over 500 days since the surgery, I ran more than 20,000 miles after the surgery before essentially retiring from serious running in the past couple years. These days, I mostly do CrossFit, lift heavy on my own, sprint, ski, ride my bike on occasion, and do some hiking. I never even think about the knee.

DML

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post

I worked my a** off in rehab and within six months, I was doing everything I had been doing before. At that point in time, I was mostly running ultramarathons and skiing. I ran a trail 50 miler just before the six month point after the surgery and I was skiing without a brace two weeks later.

I've skied well over 500 days since the surgery, I ran more than 20,000 miles after the surgery before essentially retiring from serious running in the past couple years. These days, I mostly do CrossFit, lift heavy on my own, sprint, ski, ride my bike on occasion, and do some hiking. I never even think about the knee.

DML
    Glad to hear it went so well for you! Physical Therapy for this type of injury is great when you have PT's who are willing to let you go all out and not baby it too much.

I was able to play tennis about 5 months after the surgery, which was amazing to me but also probably what led to the lingering problems with my menisci

Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    I had the patella graft done almost 20 years ago now. Just had a meniscus tear repaired a year ago but otherwise haven't had any real issues. I ran the Boston Marathon in 2000 and my knee didn't hurt any more than any other part of my body did afterwards

The rehab is the key. You sound like you are pretty committed to your martial art. Stick to the rehab protocol and don't rush things too much and you should be back to full strength by the end of the year at the latest.

Then you'll need more time to get over the mental aspect of the injury like not favoring the knee, but that's just part of the process.
    Glad to hear that you've been just about injury-free! The PT is tough right now - and it's a little humiliating needing help sometimes just lifting my leg - but I am determined. The not-rushing part will be just as tough; I'm already using the crutches mostly for balance instead of supporting my weight. But I'll be good and will do what the doc and PT tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post

DML
    That's terrific - very encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by jtrain_36 View Post
    Glad to hear it went so well for you! Physical Therapy for this type of injury is great when you have PT's who are willing to let you go all out and not baby it too much.

I was able to play tennis about 5 months after the surgery, which was amazing to me but also probably what led to the lingering problems with my menisci
    I'm very glad that my PT is going to be hands on. At least, I'm glad now; ask me again after my first post-op PT session!

Scott FM is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Jackie
    I was in the identical situation 4 years ago. I blew my ACL 3 days before testing for my senior red belt rank in TkD.

The doctor went with a hamstring graft and while painful, it seems to have worked well for me. There were a couple of things that I believe helped wit the healing: recirculating cold water compress and electrical stimulation during rehab. I had little swelling and was able to get working on rehab sooner.

8 months seems a bit short for healing, as the bone needs to regrow around the graft. Sooner than that, you run the risk of it fraying. Take your time! As to sparring: you'll have to spar with a brace to prevent another hyperextension. Mine is a Breg like the NFL players wear and in slows reaction time and flexibility.

All that being said, I just tested in December for my senior second degree rank....so you'll eventually get there. Best of luck with your healing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast