Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Age of Strife page 7

Strife is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks!

Today is Yom Kippur, so I'm fasting. It's supposed to be no food or water, but I prefer not to risk messing myself up with dehydration, so I'll be drinking water. Fast will end at sundown.

Strife is offline Member
    Totally failed at fasting. x_x Ended up binging on Chinese food and apple cider donuts... Have been a bit better since then. Sushi last night, only light eating today (still figuring out what to cook for dinner).

My main concern at the moment is that my work station hurts my back. Normally I'd just go and get a better chair, but I think I want to convert my desk to a standing work station. Just gotta figure out which items to use to prop my writing table up higher.

Strife is offline Member
    Last night I modified my desk into a standing work station (through the oh so classy method of putting a milk crate on top of it, and setting my laptop on that). Today is my first day at a standing work station. I was at it a lil bit last night, and my legs started to hurt a bit, so I kinda walk and dance in place, and move around more often than I would in a chair. It helps that I work to some very dance worthy music.

On the eating side of things, things are okay. Could be better, could always be better, but not bad. Using the abundance mindset has helped out a lot. Changed my whole internal narrative from "Okay, what can't I eat" to "Okay, what awesome healthy thing do I get to cook and enjoy?" I'm also starting to plan things a bit better. Going to be making a stew on Tuesday that'll be my lunch for the rest of the week.

randomcapitals is offline Senior Member
    Last night I modified my desk into a standing work station (through the oh so classy method of putting a milk crate on top of it, and setting my laptop on that).
    You've just embraced the mend and make do tradition. That milk crate is an homage to the sacrifices of the home front during the great wars of history.

Strife is offline Member
    Hehe, yeah. And I do enjoy a sort of Spartan style, so it works.

Speaking of working, I love my standing work station. No more back pain from the shitty chair. I feel like I was more focused yesterday (finished my workload an hour early) and less prone to wandering the web for hours at a time. Legs are still tired, though. So I've skipped my usual hour long walk first thing in the morning today, to see if that'll help with my legs acclimating to the new "oh, we're being used" from the old "Yeah, we're in a chair".

Strife is offline Member
    Life continues to move forward, and I continue to make pretty mediocre progress (could be better if I didn't always give in to temptation). I'm trying to set myself up to eat a larger amount of mixed foods (meats and veggies, instead of my general focus on meat), like stew and shepard's or pot pie. The main issue is that I've got an inertia set up against getting up to do lots of cooking. Once I'm up and doing it, it's fine, but it's taking that first step.

Physically things are okay. Lots of walking and standing. I'm sleeping better (no more melatonin pills, and still able to fall asleep in a reasonable time). Still rebuilding my strength and endurance, but it's going nicely. Turns out that riding on a shopping cart like it's a scooter is a good workout.

Strife is offline Member
    I started, on the 10th, a "month of no processed crap" thing. It's going pretty well so far. There's a few things that slipped in because I didn't think of them as processed crap, but once I caught myself I added them to the no-go list. I think that next month I'll step it up to "make as much as possible at home". So, back to making my own yogurt, rather than buying the lil yogurt cups that I enjoy.

The hardest thing at the moment is ditching the alcoholic beverages. The ones I like are, inevitably, sugary and poor choices. So once this round of stuff runs out, I won't be purchasing any more.

Strife is offline Member
    Been craving pizza for a while now. Made a "pizza bowl". Diced tomatoes, sliced pepperoni, and melted moz cheese in a bowl. It eats like pizza, but no disgusting crust.

Strife is offline Member
    Fell off the wagon a lil bit over the weekend. On the down side... Two biscuits and a cheese danish. On the up side, I got a real taste of just how awful I feel when eating grains. And on another slight upside, I was pretty damned active all weekend (~20 miles walked, mixed with heavy lifting and some sprints). Based on the observation of just how horrible it feels to eat grains again, I'm extending my "No processed crap" indefinitely.

Strife is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Things are still running okay. Some financial issues have kicked in, that are raising stress levels. And my insomnia's back.

On the plus side, my diet's a lot better. Beef stew almost every day, since it's the healthiest I can think of that stays within my budget. Consists of: Beef broth, stew meat (cooked in olive oil or butter), a sweet onion, three or four carrots, three or four red potatoes, a package of mushrooms, a daikon radish, and some spices and herbs. It's pretty tasty, and rather nutritious, I think.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast