Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Age of Strife page 5

Strife is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    My candle experiment continues to go well. I ran out of lighter fluid for a few days, and had to resort to artificial lighting, which was miserable. It messed with my insomnia and I got pretty depressed until I was able to get more lighter fluid and return to my wonderful dim evenings.

Just got my copy of Primal Cravings, and everything looks delicious. Just gotta decide what to make first!

Strife is offline Member
    Primal Cravings is awesome. I've impressed some friends with pizza (using the dough and sauce recipes in the Basics section), and the seafood pot pie. Will start to branch out into other delicious foods.

I'm moving in July. The new apartment has a significantly larger kitchen than the place I'm at now, which I'm looking forward to. It'll give me the space I need to get all the gear, and to actually operate, to make lots of foods.

My standard behavior now is: I have some coffee in the morning (decaf), and sometimes again later in the day, but otherwise I don't really eat until dinner time. If I start getting really grumpy with hunger, I'll eat something light, and if I'm actually hungry (if I meditate and take the mental edge away, and there's still a physical sensation of hunger) I might eat a small meal. Dinner time is usually a large meal of meats and veggies. Throw in the occasional hard cider.

Strife is offline Member
    I'm currently shopping around for conversion kits to turn my wine bottles from candle holders into oil lamps. I'll get some wall brackets, too. For continuing awesomeness of the experiment.

Any suggestions for conversion kits or wall mounts would be much appreciated.

Strife is offline Member
    Found my oil lamps, which I'm pretty psyched about. I move on Monday (would have been Friday, but I'm going to be out larping).

Some food experiences in the mean time: Made spaghetti squash for the first time, and it came out great. Made the bread in the Primal Cravings book, which came out pretty good too. A little dense, though. And I've got my friends hooked on the grain free, gluten free, pizza in PC. One of my new favourite dishes is a stir fry made with beef or chicken and a bell pepper and yellow onion.

I'm continuing to focus on adding more vegetables into my diet, while scaling back on eating out and whatnot.

Strife is offline Member
    Still settling into the new apartment. I've been eating poorly, since I didn't have my kitchen in the new place. That's set up now, so back to eating properly.

Got the oil lamps in, and will be testing them tonight. Here's to hoping they light things well enough that they can replace the candles, and are more economical.

The main downside to the new apartment: Lots more light pollution. Even with all my lights off, I can see more than well enough to do almost everything but cook and read (and I could probably cook, too). Gotta get blackout curtains, or a sleep mask.

Strife is offline Member
    Still not eating the way I want to be. I given in to temptation way too much. And I'm almost entirely sedentary again.

On the plus side: Making yogurt in the crockpot for the first time in a long time. Last time I tried it, I messed up bad. So this will be my first crockpot yogurt to eat in about two years if I do it right.

Strife is offline Member
    Well, things are starting to get a bit better. At least activity wise. I've fixed my sleep cycle again, started walking every morning first thing (wake up, make bed, drink some water, then head outside for a walk that's slightly more than a mile). I've injected a lot of order into my day by writing up a standard routine that includes a balance of productivity (work, cleaning), relaxation (reading, play, walking), and physical activity (play, walking).

I've also made myself a lil RPG character based around myself. Stats based on what I figure I've got in Strength (power, speed), Dexterity (flexibility, control), and Endurance (stamina, health) for physical stuff. This is working pretty well for me, since I'm totally a geek, and it provides an element of play in everything I do to improve myself. Instead of just being me walking, or doing pull ups, or practicing my grok squat, I'm Ćrinndís Naumasdottir, a Viking shield maiden on a roaring rampage of revenge, and each rep and set I complete brings me one step closer to my ultimate victory. All of my activities are charted to either add or subtract xp. For example, going to bed on time gets a point of Endurance xp, as sleeping for the right length of time is good for health, but eating poorly loses a point of Endurance xp since it's detrimental to health.

I'm currently on day 5 of this experiment, and it's been working well so far. I'm in bed on time, I'm up on time, I'm moving around outside again, and I've blocked off an hour each day for play (physical play), which I'd stopped doing for a long time.

Strife is offline Member
    The character experiment is going pretty well. I'm having a lil bit of a hard time remembering if I marked something off or not, though. Must work on my memory.

I've also added a few other things: Health Tracker (just tallies up healthy and unhealthy choices), Finance Tracker, and Compassion Tracker. All three things that I think I need to work on. The Health Tracker part is going great. Nine healthy and one unhealthy choice yesterday, and four healthy and one unhealthy so far today. Both unhealthies are from eating a bag of popcorn while watching movies. Examples of healthy actions are: Getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods, and going for walks.

Yesterday was pretty fun. I didn't sleep well the night before, and was feeling bleh. So I took a nap. Woke up from the nap and went on a walk (a bit more than a mile), then came home and ate. It feels good walking right before having a meal, which is why both my daily walks are scheduled for before meal time (before breakfast and dinner respectively).

Strife is offline Member
    I've managed to increase my level of physical activity to the point where I'm not sedentary, just from my morning walk (awesome). This may be harder to do if I get the job I applied for, though.

Still have some issues with emotional eating, but not nearly as many issues with impulse eating lately. Keeping the pantry stocked with healthy foods for when I'm hungry goes a long way toward helping, rather than having it sit empty for days before I shop.

Overall, things are going good.

Strife is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Finally put my pullup bar in. My muscles have atrophied over the last two years, sadly. I can only do one pullup at a time (though I can hold it for a few seconds once I get up top) now. Gotta work on that and get back to where I was!

I've now got a pullup bar, a single free weight (dumbbell, which I'd like to supplement with a kettle bell), and feet. All the things that I need for a good and proper workout.

I like to randomly do pullups as I walk past the bar, and I usually try to accompany those with a short wall squat.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast