Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Age of Strife page 2

meggan is offline Member
    It's really neat reading about your experience with candle light.
    Do you find that you sleep deeper/more soundly? That's my biggest problem. My quality of sleep is poor.

Strife is offline Member
    I've always been a rather deep sleeper for most of the night, with some waking up toward morning due to needing to use the bathroom. That still happens, even with the candles, but I wake up a lot more refreshed after a dim evening. I'm able to roll out of bed fairly refreshed, even hours earlier than I normally prefer to wake up. So, while there are still some little bumps, it's been pretty good for my quality of sleep.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Emotional eating does suck. Just keep working at it and don't beat yourself up. You are doing great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    Just a quick update: I've stumbled a bit. Got lazy and started eating out more, and eating unhealthy crap. Emotional eating sucks. The candle light thing is still going great. I'm waking up at 10 at the latest, and around 8:30 on average. This is so much better than sleeping in until the middle of the afternoon, or the early evening, as I used to do back when I was in college. Also, the dimmer light seems a lot more natural and comfortable now. I can't imagine having the bright lights on at night anymore.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Strife is offline Member
    Today is going to be a bit of a cheat day. Going to the movies for a date; part of the movie experience for me is a tub of popcorn and a bit of soda. I'm pretty okay with this, as I only go to the movies once a month at most, and usually don't go for months at a time. I'll be going to a Japanese restaurant afterward, and will be consuming delicious chicken there. Or maybe sushi. So, the whole day isn't a loss, at least.

And who knows, perhaps tonight I'll share my candlelight with someone else.

Strife is offline Member
    A brief update: Didn't drink much of the soda, but totally gorged on popcorn. Not as bad as I was expecting.

Strife is offline Member
    I got back into cooking a little bit today: Made a crock pot chicken soup. A big bag of chicken (pre-cooked and in strip form), 7 or 8 carrots (I lost count), an entire package of organic celery, and several stalks of scallions diced up. All mixed into three packages of chicken stock and heated over the course of about six or seven hours in the crock pot. It came out rather tasty, and I'll have soup to eat for the next few days.

I've run out of primalish desserts, like frozen bananas dipped into dark chocolate. This makes me a very sad girl. I'll need to grab some more stuff tomorrow, so I can sooth my sweet tooth with something that's not absolutely horrible for me. Until then, it's peanut butter out of a jar.

Strife is offline Member
    Steak and hash browns last night. Restocked on the delicious and healthy foods. Looking forward to eating well this week, and not eating out for a bit.

I've been working on being less sedentary, even though I'm not going outside as often. Walking around the apartment, doing some jogging in place, doing a little bit of weight lifting, and I shadow fight while watching tv. I'm hoping, with the jogging, to build up some endurance. Working on not straying into chronic cardio territory (if I feel miserable, I stop). Hopefully it all works out.

Strife is offline Member
    A second thing for the day: I'm having some doubts about my ability to exercise self discipline. Last night I had a snack of pretzels and hummus, and then ate a candy bar. Granted, I did refuse to eat the delicious looking, super-sweet, granola bar my friend had at her place. I suppose I'm just worried that I'll continue to slip and put on all the weight I lost again and again. Because I get lazy and stop cooking for myself. Or I convince myself that a little cheat is okay now and then, and then make a habit of cheating almost every day.

I'm considering just setting one day where cheating is okay, so that if I really want something, I have to wait until that day to eat it. And if I still really want it after a few days, then I'll enjoy it.

Strife is offline Member
    Turned yesterday into my first "cheat day" due to some social stuff. Got invited out, didn't expect to be out as long as I was, ended up at a non-primal friend's house with nothing but spaghetti and rolls available. While the bread and pasta were bland, the butter (sprinkled with a tiny bit of salt) that I ate with them was amazing.

Today was a lazy day at home. I started reading through Convict Conditioning, and I'm hoping to put its lessons to use within the next few days. Need to get more candles, as I'm on the last few I have, but they should last until the next shipment arrives. Tonight's yoghurt smoothies turned out well (plain yoghurt with a bag of frozen fruit (Hannaford's "berry medley" (strawberries, raspberries, black berries, blueberries)), and I have three more servings of it in the fridge. I just wish I could find some non-Greek yoghurt that's not low fat.

Edit: So, tacking on some daily thoughts. I went jogging (okay, it was just running laps inside my apartment xD) yesterday while there was a commercial break on tv. I'm pretty sedentary, so just running for a commercial break had me pretty winded. But now I totally want to build up some endurance for running. I mean, it's pretty enjoyable (other than the "oh god I'm dying my lungs are on fire" part), and it's definitely faster than walking. I think it helped that I did this barefoot, so it was the first time that I'd run without heel striking. It just felt awesome. I've never thought of myself as a runner, but this changes things. I'm definitely looking forward to when my legs aren't sore and I can do it again.
    Last edited by Strife; 01-31-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Strife is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, last night sucked. I barely slept, and what little sleep I did get was tortured and of poor quality. Nightmares, waking up either too hot or freezing cold, etcetera. I slept in until 11, and I'm still feeling the effects of this poor sleep even now. I don't know what the cause of this was, and I'm hoping that tonight's sleeping will be better.

Plans for the day: Balance budget, do some light grocery shopping (my damned lighter ran out of lighter fluid), and just relax. Maybe throw in some exercise (my muscles are less sore), and definitely some play. Not sure what I'll be eating today. I need to get some more recipes to have on hand.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast