Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversion problem (T3) page

anna5 is offline Senior Member

Conversion problem (T3)

Shop Now
    I have a problem with conversion of T4 to T3. I have normal TSH and T4, but my t3 is below the range. I also have high LDL and TC.
    I would appreciate any recommendations. My doctor ignored my thyroid results, but recommended statins which I am not inclined to take. I on the other hand would like to fix my thyroid problem. It's possible, however, that I am wrong since my medical knowledge is non-existing. My doctor is good.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    I have a problem with conversion of T4 to T3. I have normal TSH and T4, but my t3 is below the range. I also have high LDL and TC.
    I would appreciate any recommendations. My doctor ignored my thyroid results, but recommended statins which I am not inclined to take. I on the other hand would like to fix my thyroid problem. It's possible, however, that I am wrong since my medical knowledge is non-existing. My doctor is good.
    Whats your diet like?

otzi Guest
    You need to find a better doctor ASAP even if it means paying out of pocket. Naturopaths are good for thyroid problems since they look at the whole picture. If that's not an option, get to an endocrinologist.

What's probably happening is you are making reverse T3. rT3, as it's called, does nothing for you. T3 is needed to convert cholesterol to hormones. Without T3, your cholesterol rises and your hormones tank.

There is an adrenal connection and some adrenal support may be needed, but don't try this on your own. Find a doc that will help. Fire any doctor who won't test for T3 and rT3 and thyroid antibodies. TSH and T4 are only helpful in diagnosing subclinical hypothyroidism, which is 90% of what they see. You have bigger issues!

Don't take the statins whatever you do, that only compounds the problems when you get your T3 back to normal.

read more:
    The Doctors' Medical Library - Wilsons Reverse T3 Dominance Syndrome, Health and Medical Information

http://www.custommedicine.com.au/thyroid/

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    What does your diet look like? How is your Vitamin D level? Your ferritin level? How much do you exercise?

Thank you, Otzi.

My vitamin D levels is good now. I have no idea what is my ferritin level, but I started to have a problem after my blood donation - the first I ever had. I suspect that my ferritin level dropped. I don't exercise much.

otzi Guest
    You will probably need to get put on Cytomel, which is synthetic T3. I can't believe your doctor is ignoring low T3. Do you know the exact number? Is it below the reference range?

Otzi, it says it's 82 ng/dl. The range is 94-170.

My diet ....
    Pretty normal right now. For the last couple of years, I gradually eliminated vegetable oils, reduced grains, minimized sugar and significantly increased vegetables. I eat meat/chicken/fish and dairy (yogurt and cheeses). It's possible that I overdid with lowering of carbs - I never counted them. After the tests, I looked at my intake and it was low. I used to be a heavy bakery eater, so I never suspected that I could be on the other end. I've increased my intake recently.
    I am not fully primal. Ah, there is one ketone (1+) in my urine. I never had it before. Whatever the meaning of it is ... I don't know. I also don't know what my T3 was earlier - it was never tested.
    Last edited by anna5; 12-22-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Up sugar.

Cortisol inhibits t4 conversion to t3. Adrenaline also inhibits conversion, and raises antagonistic reverse t3. Aside from that, high fat and high protein diets affect your ability to convert to t4 into t3, as well as deficiencies in vitamin a, selenium, zinc, b2, etc

Other than that, small grains of synthetic T3 can help.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast