Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conversion problem (T3) page 2

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you, Derpanix. "Up sugar" sounds like music. I used to be a heavy sugar eater. I am looking at my deficiencies.

otzi Guest

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    My vitamin D levels is good now. I have no idea what is my ferritin level, but I started to have a problem after my blood donation - the first I ever had. I suspect that my ferritin level dropped. I don't exercise much.
    You do not mention whether or not you are experiencing symptoms of low thyroid. If you are what are they?

I would get ferritin tested. I would also make sure to get 200 mcg selenium/day-my multi-vitamin has 200 mcg.. Both are needed for conversion. You also have not discussed your diet. Too few calories and/or too few carbs may contribute conversion problems.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You are likely hypothyroid. What was your TSH? As you've been advised, you need another doctor since this one obviously doesn't realize that your LDL issue is because of the low T3. [Once I was treated for hypo, my LDL went steadily down for several years--it was all from low thyroid hormones.] Many doctors think that the 'old' lab ranges of up to 5.0 are a 'normal' TSH when anything above 3.0 is considered problematic, and most good thyroid doctors will treat someone with a TSH above 2.0 who also has symptoms. Moreover, good thyroid doctors know that someone can have 'normal' labs with an underfunctioning thyroid.

It took me 5 years to get diagnosed because despite escalating symptoms, my primary kept telling me that my thyroid was 'normal.' When I finally got desperate and self-referred to an excellent endo, I discovered that I have Hashimoto's and was seriously hypothyroid, although my lab numbers didn't reflect the severity of my symptoms.

A good thyroid doctor will consider all the numbers--and your T3 certainly needs to be addressed. It's the T3 that really controls our metabolism. I know because problems with conversion are characteristic of Hashi's, and several years after my initial diagnosis, my own T3 tanked, and I've been taking Cytomel ever since. It has saved my life!

You need a good thyroid doctor--but they are not easy to find--and are not always endos. I have an endo, but my sister (diabetic and hypothyroid) gets excellent care from her internist.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Up sugar.

Cortisol inhibits t4 conversion to t3. Adrenaline also inhibits conversion, and raises antagonistic reverse t3. Aside from that, high fat and high protein diets affect your ability to convert to t4 into t3, as well as deficiencies in vitamin a, selenium, zinc, b2, etc

Other than that, small grains of synthetic T3 can help.
    That is false. VERY excessive cortisol secretion inhibits the conversion, but it's very unlikely to get to unhealthy cortisol levels through diet alone as long as you're not in anorexia nervosa or extremist veganism.
    TOO LOW cortisol secretion is actually linked to hypothyroidism and inability to raise T3 levels even with synthetic or natural thyroid meds. It's all about overall metabolic rate, and cortisol isn't as evil as you make it sound, it's a very important part of the raise in metabolic rate, to allow all hormones to be at their optimal levels. Free cortisol needs to be close to top range, as well as Morning fasting cortisol.

I have a serious adrenal problem since the beginning of my "puberty" (or lack of it), and we're on our way to discover what it really is. But it seems primary since I have brownish skin like a sun tan. I have low cortisol, and as a result, I have low T3 and can't raise it (Erfa thyroid makes it worse, consumes the residual cortisol, and leave me with worse TSH and Free T3 levels.)

Also, your views (which are Danny Roddy's) on serotonin are reversed, ask anyone on an advanced Hormone Replacement Therapy, ask all the prominent doctors in hormone therapies, anti aging medecine and their recent research.
    Neurotransmitters are important and not destructive, as everything it's excess of them or wrong reactions that cause problems.

I'm experiencing it right now.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Thank you, everyone.
    My last TSH was 1.18. In the past, I had slightly higher.
    I do have some symptoms: low basal temperature, lack of energy, headaches (waking up with a headache) and eye discomfort (I had it pretty bad some two months ago), high cholesterol.
    At this point, I am lazily following Paul Jaminet's recommendation - eating more carbs, adding some supplements. I am feeling better.
    I do feel that there is possibly a problem with my hormones (pituitary gland?) and intend to ask my doctor to address T3. If he decides not to pursue, I will have to look for help somewhere else. It's a pity that only TSH was checked in the past, so I don't have a personal history here.
    Thank you again.

Zach is offline Banned
    I self cured my hypo by upping carbs from under 100g to 300-400g (mostly fruit, fruit juice, dairy and grains) reducing meat consumption and reducing fat consumption (mainly pufa sources).

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Thank you, everyone.
    My last TSH was 1.18. In the past, I had slightly higher.
    I do have some symptoms: low basal temperature, lack of energy, headaches (waking up with a headache) and eye discomfort (I had it pretty bad some two months ago), high cholesterol.
    At this point, I am lazily following Paul Jaminet's recommendation - eating more carbs, adding some supplements. I am feeling better.
    I do feel that there is possibly a problem with my hormones (pituitary gland?) and intend to ask my doctor to address T3. If he decides not to pursue, I will have to look for help somewhere else. It's a pity that only TSH was checked in the past, so I don't have a personal history here.
    Thank you again.
    With a TSH of 1.18 you should have a T3 level at least in upper quartile of reference range. With a T3 of .8, your TSH should be 5-8, above refernece range. You clearly have an imbalance, poor conversion is likely the culprit as you have surmised. Don't waste time trying to fix it with diet, you need a full battery of tests. I know how hard it can be to convince docs to order labs, as soon as they sense you think you are smarter than them, they harden up and start resisting everything you say.

I had a doc say to me, 'you need to stay off the internet". That was when I asked for a lipid VAP profile, vit D, and FT3. When my Vit D came back at 15, the doc said it was OK, I fired him. He never did run the other tests.

I'm serious about a naturopath. Where do you live?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I self cured my hypo by upping carbs from under 100g to 300-400g (mostly fruit, fruit juice, dairy and grains) reducing meat consumption and reducing fat consumption (mainly pufa sources).
    So what dose of thyroid meds were you on? What type hypothyroidism did you have? Graves? Hashi's?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you, Otzi. Clearly, I don't know much about all these Ts. I live in New York City. I think I should stop being lazy (low energy or just laziness?), and deal with the problem.
    Last edited by anna5; 12-23-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast