Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Estrogen Dilemma page 2

MightyMite is offline Member
    Shop Now
    And some women must have come down on a rainbow or something, like my mother--no problems with menopause, never had a yeast or bladder infection--EVER. Not active, typical SAD, smoked for 60+ years and still fine (and just quit again with patches and gum)--some people are bomb-proof. I'm crossing my fingers that I sail through menopause as easily as she did, even though I've had my share of yeast infections, so she didn't pass that magical immunity on to me. Actually, she'd been in perimenopause for 2-3 years when she was my age (47), but she had kids in her mid 30s, while I haven't released an egg for the past 30 years due to hormonal birth control.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    I had a hysterectomy at 38 yrs old due to something wrong w/all 3 parts: ovaries, uterus and cervix. I had a brief conversation with my doc about HRT and I chose against it. I had an 'estrogen crash' about a week after the surgery in which I went into an insane rage that last about a day. Fortunately, I have a loving significant other who dealt with that. Since then, a few night sweats when the temp gets over 80ish. Otherwise, fine.

While I was forced into menopause, I don't regret it. I don't miss the periods and the mood swings.

I am finding it a bit difficult to lose weight. But, is that really hormone related or the fact that I am very liberal with the 20%? Who knows.

When you get there, don't fear it. Just look at it as a new adventure for you but one that women have been dealing with since before Grok's time. (And before HRT was even thought of!)
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

FabMandy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I really think a lot of how you experience menopause has a lot to do with the condition your adrenals and liver are in.

Ideally, once the ovaries stop doing their job, the adrenals take over the production of estrogen and progesterone, so you can see how they wouldn't be able to do their job if they're already worn out when someone hits perimenopause.
    I was going to say something similar to this. Being 27 and having no personal experience of menopause, I can't speak from experience, however being 27 and suffering with endometriosis since a teenager I can say that I will not be one to start supplementing with estrogen. (I've read way too much about the negative effects.) We're supposed to have a drop in estrogen production when we hit menopause; the difference (as far as I've been educated) has to do with how well your adrenals are able to pick up the slack. I can't imagine what a horrible menopause feels like, but I'll do what I can to put myself in a good place to deal with whatever life has in store for me at that stage sans medical intervention or estrogen supplementation.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    HAD NO IDEA about the adrenals... will do lots of research...

I've had night sweats since I was a teen... but they've been crazy lately... I'm thinking my hormones are def. changing with this diet... (my period was not a crime scene this month.... WOW! First time in years... can't hardly wait 'till next month...)

Keep the info flowing ladies... thanks...

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm 51 (a popular age!) and have been menopausal for 1 yr. Peri-menopause was where I had difficulty, starting at around age 43. But once the periods ended, all the bloating and extreme mood swings ended. Menopause has been an absolute breeze. The one thing I was hoping would end that didn't end, was my migraines. To get those to stop, I had to give up gluten which I did at Christmas this year. Now the migraines are mostly gone and when I do get one it is way more mild than the nasty ones I used to get.

I tried bioidentical hormones for a while during perimenopause, then stopped (I don't remember why).

Here's one thing I've been told about estrogen: not only do the adrenals pick up where the ovaries leave off, but estrogen is also stored in the fat cells (My naturopath told me this so I hope it is right.) People in perimenopause will often put on 10-15 lbs, and this is the body's way of storing up some extra estrogen. Then, when you burn off fat, you will release that stored estrogen into the boodstream. I have been looking for signs that this is happening...I think it is but I'm not certain based on estrogen side-effects.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I was in the 'suck it up' camp too, until a close friend started having perimenopausal issues at barely 40. Aparrently estrogen is responsible for the 'maintenance' of the urogenital tract. So issues with continence, vulnerability to UTIs and chronic urinary tract irritation, as well as massive drops in libido and issues with sexual function. It's not just about mood swings.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Makes sense about the adrenals.... right about the time my thyroid tanked and my adrenals got worn out ... my periods starting getting whacky. starting for an hour then stopping for two days, then starting for a couple of days, then stopping.... etc. etc. etc. I know I'm perimenopausal, which is fine... but I think my adrenals being messed up really made things worse. Hopefully it'll all come together eventually, LOL. Good to hear stories of women who are going through it fine... we'll see what happens!!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I went through menopause at about age 57 --- but then, I'm very overweight, and fat does provide estrogen.

The only experience of hot flashing I had (very mild) was during a day or two just before a period, for the last couple of years. After I stopped cycling I never felt flashes.

I used some progesterone cream for a few years, to lower the levels of LH and FSH as they tried and tried to make ovulation happen when it no longer could. Since progesterone is released after ovulation, one can set up an artificial rhythm by using the progesterone cream all month except for five days in a row without. This resets the receptors so they don't get too used to it, and also mimics ovulation, which keeps the LH and FSH within bounds. They were asking for an egg, and when progesterone rises after the five days without, they assume they succeeded, and everything settles back down.

I had no mood swings, no hot flashes, no night sweats, no vaginal dryness, no formication. It was all just a relief to be rid of cycling and cramps and bleeding.

Anyway, that's how it worked for me. I felt better on the progesterone, and gradually tapered off it over a few years. If I had too much, I'd still get acne, just like when younger.

Your mileage may vary if you aren't carrying a lot of fat. At least this is something which body fat is good for!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I read on Dr Eades' blog about how a ketogenic diet can help reduce the symptoms of the menopause:

How do ketones treat these symptoms? They do so by replacing glucose that’s lacking from the estrogen-deprived brain.

Dr. McCleary provides a fascinating discussion of what happens in the brain that results in hot flashes when estrogen is withdrawn after many years of constant exposure. During these years of exposure estrogen becomes intimately involved in the development of the shuttles that transport sugar into the brain cells. With estrogen present – as it is in the premenopause years – these shuttles transport about 40 percent more sugar into the brain cells than would be transported without the estrogen. When the estrogen goes away at menopause, the shuttling of sugar into the brain cells decreases, and the brain cells become a little starved for energy. Dr. McCleary explains how the hypothalamus responds to this starvation by

stepping up the release of norepinephrine [adrenaline], which acts to raise the level of sugar in the blood, to raise the heart rate, and to raise the body temperature. The hot flash, then, is a specific outward sign of the brain’s trying to protect itself from blood sugar starvation.

Long time readers of this blog will know that ketone bodies are water-soluble fat breakdown products that can pinch hit for glucose in the brain and other tissues. Dr. McCleary shows how ketones do this to prevent hot flashes, and he even gives a recipe for a ketone cocktail to provide even more ketones to feed the hungry brain that isn’t getting enough sugar.

Link here: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/k...and-menopause/

FabMandy is offline Member
    I like piano-doctor-lady's account of using progesterone cream. I've read a lot about this stuff. One of the better books was What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause by John Lee. I think he's also got a book with a similar title about Menopause.

I think it's interesting to make the connection between the thyroid, the adrenals, and the sex hormones. The whole endocrine system is linked, and when one hormone gets out of balance, others tend to be affected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast