Thread: Is my routine causing my breathing problems? page

Primalsaber is offline Member

Is my routine causing my breathing problems?

Primal Fuel
    After a lot of searching and considering the direction I wanted to take, I finally picked up a routine. It's an olympic lifting one for beginners and I modified the second of three days for powerlifting movements. I'm loving the progress I've begun to make, but I'm working out for around an hour each session. At first I didn't mind, as it has me setting PRs and doing pullups often (previously underdeveloped biceps now getting large fast). However, over the last 3 days or so my breathing has become shallow and depressed. I tried to disregard it at first, but it feels like even when I consciously take a HUGE breath I can't fill my lungs completely (or even close to it). It's supposed to be a stress relief mechanism (I believe), so when I try and fail at filling my lungs I feel even greater stress and concern. Could it be my lack of sprinting, or should I cut my workout time down?

Many thanks to any responders.

richard is offline Senior Member
    are you nose breathing? You should be nose breathing at all times.

I wouldn't try to take deep breaths either. It isn't a good idea contrary to what you may have heard.

Primalsaber is offline Member
    I am nose breathing 24/7 (unless, of course, I'm doing a metcon workout). And as far as intentionally taking deep breaths, I do it infrequently; it's really MOST concerning when my yawns and deep sighs feel choked off.

workinprogress is online now Senior Member
    If its concerning you, it may be time for a pulmonary function test. Are you having a productive cough? Any history of Asthma or other pulmonary issues? How is the air quality where you live?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    My first thoughts are also asthma. Do you have any asthma history ? No matter what - I would have it checked by a doctor, just to be safe
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

richard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try shallow breathing when you exercise building up air hunger and that will help a lot