Thread: Buying fermented veggies page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

Buying fermented veggies

Primal Fuel
    I haven't had much trouble finding info on why fermented vegetables are good for you and how to make them yourself, but advice on buying them pre-made has been harder to find.

I picked up a jar of A-Grosik White Cabbage Salad at Whole Foods because it looked so delicious. It's imported from Poland, but obviously intended for export because the label is all in English. The ingredients are cabbage, carrot, onion, red pepper, cucumber, vinegar, water, salt, sugar and spices, no preservatives. Is it even fermented? Is it any better for you than Del Monte sauerkraut in a can? How can I tell by reading a label whether I'm getting something with any value as a probiotic?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I haven't had much trouble finding info on why fermented vegetables are good for you and how to make them yourself, but advice on buying them pre-made has been harder to find.

I picked up a jar of A-Grosik White Cabbage Salad at Whole Foods because it looked so delicious. It's imported from Poland, but obviously intended for export because the label is all in English. The ingredients are cabbage, carrot, onion, red pepper, cucumber, vinegar, water, salt, sugar and spices, no preservatives. Is it even fermented? Is it any better for you than Del Monte sauerkraut in a can? How can I tell by reading a label whether I'm getting something with any value as a probiotic?
    This is not fermented. It's pickled in vinegar. You want foods in brine not in vinegar. It's not a probiotic at all. Vinegar is a preservative. What you got yourself is a processed food.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Bubbies is a commercial brand that is a true ferment Bubbies

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I get my fermented goodies from one of two vendors at local farmers markets. Perhaps you have a similar local vendor? Do a Google search and find out!

Or, worst case, learn to make your own? It's not hard, just takes a little time to let the fermenting take place.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Bubbies is a commercial brand that is a true ferment Bubbies
    Thank you! Bubbies products are available just down the road from me, at a place I would never have thought to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I get my fermented goodies from one of two vendors at local farmers markets. Perhaps you have a similar local vendor? Do a Google search and find out!

Or, worst case, learn to make your own? It's not hard, just takes a little time to let the fermenting take place.
    The nearby farmers markets have been a disappointment, both in terms of quality and variety, but one of my projects this spring is to look at some of the ones further away. I'm hoping if I get closer to Philly, I'll find some good stuff.

I have read about making your own fermented foods. However, if my family sees the process, they will never taste it, lol. They like most (vinegar) pickled vegetables they've tried though, so I think so long as the fermented versions come out of a jar, they will be fine with them.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you have Asian stores around, pick up a jar of kimchi. I eat my weight in it every week. It's a good thing I haven't got a problem with sodium.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."