Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posture page

ez2cy is offline Senior Member

Posture

Primal Fuel
    Ok, relying on all you smart people here.

Wife and I both have problems with back, neck etc. Story is, found a chiropractor that has this new thing called Shock Therapy. Emailed to see how much it was for a treatment and got the "you'll have to come in and talk to him as there are different treatments etc." Should have been a red flag. Talks to us both and sends us for xrays. Charged 100 bucks for the two of us. Ok, first visit I get it. Go back for the results. Talks to us about how it's our posture and how he could fix it. Leaves and the manager steps in to talk to us about a treatment programn. It's 6 months and we can save money if we do the plan rather than pay as we go. It's $3,500.00 each...yes EACH!. Ok....wife is thinking, it makes sense and if it does fix us, how do you put a price on health? Get home and we were emailed another bill for another $100.00. Now I'm pissed! I've been to well over a dozen chiropractors over the years with moving etc. Yes, first visit is always a little more, but they atleast give you an adjustment so you feel better. For $200.00 all we got is told how much this is going to cost us.

Ok...sorry for the long winded story ie rant.

I've been searching the net, but not coming up with anything real good. Anyone know of anything a person can do to improve their posture? This guy had a rig (weights) to wear on your head while watching t.v. to improve your neck curve. I know it works as they did xrays of neck, then put the gear on and had you sit for 10 minutes and then xray'd you again while wearing it. Unreal how much your neck came into line.

Anyway. If anyone has anything methods for posture, please let me know.

Thanking you in advance for any and all replies.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, I've never heard of anyone being helped or healed by a chiropractor.

I have heard a lot of good things about yoga for improving balance and posture.

Good luck to both of you.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    You can have better posture by just doing it. Pulling your shoulders back, paying attention to it etc. Use YouTube, the web, etc. also google how to sit in a car and getting in and out of a car. Since you and your wife are trying to improve, you can observe and correct each other which will be a big help. Try it for a week or two. Once you start pulling your shoulders back if you've been slumping them, you will start to rest the tired muscles that are inflamed and sore. I found as I got older, much of my back problems were due to weak muscles. The posterior chain needs use and development. It will not be able to support your structure, much less carry around excess weight with out work to strengthen it. My tired, achy feet were also greatly helped when I strengthened them and paid attention to my balance and how I pointed my toes while standing. How you point your toes sets your hip alignment. How far you pull your hips forward while standing effects your back. Unless you have an injury or structural abnormality, you don't need a Chiro or alignment aids to wear during the day to improve things. You just need to pay attention until you develop some new habits and work on improving your strength. Feeling better is a few simple lifestyle changes away.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    There are different levels of treatment. This guy sounds like he operates on the "hold your hand through every step" level (sounds like he also uses Pettibon system for posture correction....not "shock therapy"). Six months is not an overestimation and you will need to work on it multiple sessions a week. The question is do you have to be at the office with someone holding your hand to do so.

So that is all correct....what you have to decide is if you need somebody to be watching you every step of the way or not. If so then your gonna have to pony up the dough. If not, then you can find a chiropractor that is willing to adjust you in the office...but send you home to complete the rest of the rehab on your own.

There are various devices that can be implemented at home for cervical traction that will aid in improving your cervical curve. In conjunction with adjustments they have been shown to be just as effective as doing the protocols in office....as long as the patient is compliant with the home exercise program.

You have been to several chiropractors so I'm sure you already know that there are those that focus more on different things: acute pain, corrective care, wellness treatment, holistic treatment....so on and so forth.

Here is what I would do....get the x-ray report from the chiro you just went to (he may or may not let you have the x-rays themselves...not sure about canadian law there). Make some appointments with chiro's willing to give a "free consultation" and find one that will work with you in the manner I outlined, or one that you are more comfortable with.

There is also this thread though http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73592.html
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-22-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Check out Esther Gokhale.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a cash-grab to me.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Check out Esther Gokhale.
    Definitely. She's awesome.

I would invest the 7000$ on a few years of personal training with someone qualified. Your posture will improve, and you'll look better naked too. Win-win!

Quickfeet101 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    To be honest, I've never heard of anyone being helped or healed by a chiropractor.
    I have been helped by a chiropractor. I have also been to chiropractors that helped me short-term (hours/days).

I used to have alot of back/neck pain and all my muscles in my upper body were tight. I tried exercises and I had to keep doing them all the time. I tried a chiropractor, no long term improvement. I was finally maintaining by using trigger-point massage, but I had to increasingly use it more and more. I never went anywhere without my back-knobber and some tennis balls. Plus I was doing all these exercises and the pain was progressively getting worse. I hated going out because I'd have to put up with the pain until I could get back and have some privacy to massage out my muscles and get a few minutes of relief. I was massaging for more than an hour a day, plus time spent on exercises, including yoga. My pain and everything I had to do to keep it managed was kind of embarrassing to me.

My friend kept suggesting her chiro for more than a year before I finally just gave it a try. I had to have a little faith at first, as I was going twice a week for 6 weeks and co-pays were adding up, but I was willing to try. I knew I needed to do SOMETHING! My doc explained that my bones were out of alignment. When in proper alignment, the structure supports itself, but since my spine was twisted, my muscles were working hard to hold everything in the best alignment my body could manage.

My chiropractor uses Advanced Biostructural Correction and I wouldn't go to any other type of chiropractor now. I realize there are likely other types of chiros that could have helped me, but this one did and it worked for me. People have said the words to me, "I know you have a bad back..." But I have to correct them now. I USED to have a bad back. From the first visit I had improvement. The process of healing was not a straight upward line, but I have always felt better than I did before my first treatment. I still go twice a month because I engage in full-contact sports, but I have nowhere near the pain I used to have and I don't do any massage. I just use good posture when sitting, sleeping and standing.

I don't know the extent of the OP's back problems, but mine were serious and now I have very little discomfort and no pain.

And you don't know me, Graycat, so you still don't really know anyone who has been helped with chiropractic. I realize that, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents because my life has been changed by my chiro. I now have more hours in my day because I am not so all consumed with trying to manage my pain. There was even some discussion about me having fibromyalgia, but with the changes in my diet and chiro care, that is no longer any issue for me. Just my n=1.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quickfeet101, that's just awesome. Even though you are a stranger to me, I'm still very happy for you. Life is complicated enough even pain-free.

Season's Greetings!!!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for this post. I have had lower back issues since August---off and on---exacerbated by lugging my kids around! I definitely need to work on my posture and will look into Esther's methods!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast