Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making raw butter page

jackson44 is offline Senior Member

making raw butter

Primal Fuel
    Anybody try to do it out of raw milk?

Thanks

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    yes. It's a lot of work but that's the only butter I will eat. I don't trust any manufacturer to make my butter.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I did this for the first time a few days ago. For some reason the milk I got last week had a TON of cream on top so I decided to make butter.

I let it culture at room temperature for about 18 hours and then tried to churn it. It whipped up slightly, but never separated. So I chilled it in the freezer for a little while and tried again. It never did make whipped cream like I usually get. It increased in volume and went directly to the butter/buttermilk stage.

I got maybe a 1/4 cup of butter from about 2 cups of cream. The milk was from Jersey cows. I've heard that different breeds have different size fat globules in their milk, so maybe that plays a role.

All that being said, it is some of the most delicious butter I've ever had. Give it a go and let us know how it turns out!
    Last edited by yodiewan; 12-23-2012 at 06:10 AM.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Yep, it's important to have enough air in the jar, if churning that way, like a jar a little over half full is good. Let it sit on the counter and get a bit warms first.. doesn't have to be cultured, you can use it fresh or cultured.

Timthetaco Guest
    My wife and I bought raw milk once and tried the shake-in-a-jar thing. It was a massive pain in the ass. And we're not so big on butter or milk to justify the effort or expense of making our own as opposed to just buying Kerrygold, so. Just depends on how much you like milk and butter, I guess.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Just a heads-up for UK readers, the bigger Waitrose supermarkets carry a very nice unpasteurised unsalted French Brittany butter.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Put raw cream in a food processor. Turn it on and let it go until you have a big glob of yellow stuff surrounded by some watery stuff. Push the yellow stuff into a mold, pushing out as much liquid as possible. That's your butter. The other stuff it buttermilk. You can drink it, culture it, use it to marinate meat, whatever.

I did it a few times. But a quart of raw cream costs me $13. As I only really use butter in things where it is going to heat up anyways, I'm fine buying OV pasture-butter.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    I did it a few times. But a quart of raw cream costs me $13. As I only really use butter in things where it is going to heat up anyways, I'm fine buying OV pasture-butter.
    WOW! I am spoiled rotten. I have been getting raw milk for $3/half gallon. The last half gallon I got seemed like almost half of it was cream. On average though I get at least a cup of cream out of each half gal.

Thanks everybody! It sounds like it a pain in the ass.

"I increased in volume and went directly to the butter/buttermilk stage" does you mean you added more milk?

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I did this for the first time a few days ago. For some reason the milk I got last week had a TON of cream on top so I decided to make butter.

I let it culture at room temperature for about 18 hours and then tried to churn it. It whipped up slightly, but never separated. So I chilled it in the freezer for a little while and tried again. It never did make whipped cream like I usually get. I increased in volume and went directly to the butter/buttermilk stage.

I got maybe a 1/4 cup of butter from about 2 cups of cream. The milk was from Jersey cows. I've heard that different breeds have different size fat globules in their milk, so maybe that plays a role.

All that being said, it is some of the most delicious butter I've ever had. Give it a go and let us know how it turns out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast