Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making raw butter page 2

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yodiewan - did you seperated the cream after the 18 hours? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I did this for the first time a few days ago. For some reason the milk I got last week had a TON of cream on top so I decided to make butter.

I let it culture at room temperature for about 18 hours and then tried to churn it. It whipped up slightly, but never separated. So I chilled it in the freezer for a little while and tried again. It never did make whipped cream like I usually get. I increased in volume and went directly to the butter/buttermilk stage.

I got maybe a 1/4 cup of butter from about 2 cups of cream. The milk was from Jersey cows. I've heard that different breeds have different size fat globules in their milk, so maybe that plays a role.

All that being said, it is some of the most delicious butter I've ever had. Give it a go and let us know how it turns out!

14emom is offline Member
    I get raw milk from a mennonite family in PA, they have Jersey cows so there is a lot of cream in the milk. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, put the cream in the bowl, and use the paddle attachment. Mix on high (you will have to hold a towel around the top of the bowl in the beginning so you won't have heavy cream flying everywhere). The butter will collect in the center while the buttermilk will separate, just stop the mixer and pour it into a separate container.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    "I increased in volume and went directly to the butter/buttermilk stage" does you mean you added more milk?
    Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say "IT increased in volume". I mean the cream itself increased in volume. Like frothed milk, but it never made whipped cream.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    Yodiewan - did you seperated the cream after the 18 hours? Thanks
    I should have been more specific. I skimmed the cream off the top of the milk after it had been in the fridge overnight. I let only the cream sit out. I put the milk back in the fridge.

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yodiewan - so after you let it sit out for 18 hours, you skim the cream and then churn it. If it doesn't solidify, you put in back the freeze or fridge? What do you do with the extra cream? Do you readd it? Do you shake it or put the milk in a blender? If you shake it, does it matter if you use a glass jar?

Thanks againF!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12