Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic-coated pans page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    No I wouldn't. I'm intrinsically turned off by environmentally healthy claims, especially if they're made by a product that's manufactured in China. I'd stick to uncoated metal pans for cooking.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    I have seriously been considering one of these; but, like Damiana, I'm kind of put off by their environmentally friendly claims. For one thing, these pans haven't been on the market for very long, so we don't know what they could potentially do to us.

I do need new pans, though. I'm still using the non-stick T-Fal that was given to me as a wedding present 5 years ago. I want to get cast iron pans, but can't afford it. I'm hoping I'll get some money this Christmas and can get a new 10" cast iron skillet.

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGrayMare View Post
    I have seriously been considering one of these; but, like Damiana, I'm kind of put off by their environmentally friendly claims. For one thing, these pans haven't been on the market for very long, so we don't know what they could potentially do to us.

I do need new pans, though. I'm still using the non-stick T-Fal that was given to me as a wedding present 5 years ago. I want to get cast iron pans, but can't afford it. I'm hoping I'll get some money this Christmas and can get a new 10" cast iron skillet.
    You can find cast iron pans at re-sale shops.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    No.

First, the green/recyclable claim is more than a bit misleading. All metal is recyclable. The more coatings and layers you have, the less efficient recycling is, but it is still recyclable. A bigger question is how often items need to be replaced. Recycling costs energy and work (the metal must be cleaned, melted, etc....not cheap). Easy, frequent recycling is LESS "green" than longevity.

Second, I'm just not a fan of cast aluminum pans, however they are coated. A big part of that is my preference for induction stove tops. If I'm going to buy cookware that can't be used on an induction hob, it'll be copper. I make an exception for camping cookware but that's about it. If I was buying aluminum cookware, I would head to s restaurant supply place where i is plentiful and cheap.

I'm one of those seasoned cast iron people. I have pans that are older than I am. I don't care how recyclable they are (though as single-metal castings they are highly recyclable) because I expect they will still be usable 100 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGrayMare View Post
    I want to get cast iron pans, but can't afford it. I'm hoping I'll get some money this Christmas and can get a new 10" cast iron skillet.
    There are two types of cookware encompassed by the term "cast iron". One is fancy enamel-coated cookware typified by La Creuset. The other is bare cast iron typified by Lodge (though Lodge also makes enameled). Enameled cast iron is expensive but apart from cooking acidic foods I don't think it's as good. Seasoned cast iron has a learning curve but is much better for eggs and such.

Around here I can go to Academy Sporting Goods and buy a 10" cast iron skillet for $15 or so.
    Last edited by Him; 12-22-2012 at 09:01 AM.

I was mainly referring to the ceramic coating, as kind of a non-stick surface that's more natural. I figured that the metals wouldn't even breach unless I do something like scratch the pan.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I am happy using a few ceramic based pans I bought in Valencia a few years back for frying and making risottos and paellas.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Maybe a dumb question, but...

What's your reason for wanting a coating? Aren't coatings primarily for low-fat egg cooking? Maybe low-fat cooking in general? That's my understanding. I know they are also used in rice cooker/bread maker pans to allow wiping instead of washing.

Non-stick isn't as good for browning meat. If you want to make meat sauces or soups you lose the deglazing as well.

I have an old wok with a ceramic coating. It works fine I guess but honestly I haven't used it that much because the sides are too thin for real heat transfer without a bigger (diameter) flame than I can easily provide.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Capalbo View Post
    You can find cast iron pans at re-sale shops.
    You can get cast iron on amazon for 20$.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but...

What's your reason for wanting a coating?
    I want the ceramic coating so that metals don't leech into my food. I don't want extra iron from cast iron; I eat plenty of iron, and tomatoes to boot. And obviously, I don't want aluminum or stainless steel doing so either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast