Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misleading or Stupid Advertisements. page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Misleading or Stupid Advertisements.

Primal Fuel
    So, here's a thread for everything we see in moder advertisements that lies or uses flawed logic to sell a product or an idea that isn't good for you!

Example (The Snickers "Diva" Locker-Room Advert):

Lies it Promotes:
    -You shouldn't go hungry, ever!
    -Especially not men! (Whilst you CAN SORTA argue that IFing harms a number of women, there's no evidence AT ALL it harms men.)
    -A sugary snack will fix your hunger and truly satisfy you!

Stupidity/Flawed Argument:
    -Correlates peanuts with "nuts".
    -Implies that masculine men don't have the patience to wait until lunch and should cave into cravings.
    -Ignores the fact that high sugar = weight-gain = higher estrogen proportions = less manliness.

Tools used:
    -Name-calling. (Men who fast are "Divas", aka "girly".)
    -Appeal to popularity. (Your mates want you to eat Snickers! And you'll ALL get along better if you do!)
    -Use of healthy, muscular actors, to correlate healthy, physically active, masculine men with sugary, veg-oil-filled rubbish.

Feel free to add and analyse any adverts YOU find frustrating!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm not British, but the Yorkie---it's not for girls slogan is rather annoying. If I had to list annoying commercials, I'd be here all night; there's a reason I no longer watch tv except when forced to at the gym. If I see another tampon commercial with the word "sparkling" or "radiant," I will f---ing scream there ain't nothing happy or twinkly about TOTM.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I'll play. I feel no need to actually WATCH the ad, but just the still photo, with a glam woman putting cylindrical object in her mouth with great gusto has got to be a subliminal attention-grabber.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about your part of the world, but here in the US this is what snickers bar is made of:

Ingredients Declaration:

MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MILKFAT, SKIM MILK, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, LACTOSE, SALT, EGG WHITES, CHOCOLATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. MAY CONTAIN ALMONDS

PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL? 'nuff said.

Sorry, didn't get to watch the commercial, but isn't that the actress who was in Dynasty?

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I hate numerous commercials.

The Splenda ones pushing the "B vitamin"/"antioxidant"/"fiber" fortified packets. Because pouring chemical-laced chemicals all over a bowl of strawberries gives one a "Way to Go Me!" feeling.

The Frosted Flakes commercial that points out that they are made with 'Whole Grains!" and initiate father-daughter bonding in a great physical outdoor activity. Therefore - Frosted Flakes = happy, healthy families.

The ED commercials, where all the men are fit and trim and in their 40's, and can hitch up a team of horses to pull a huge truck out of the muck (what on earth could this symbolize!?). I realize that not every ED issue is caused by obesity/diabetes/other issues of insulin & kidneys, but the suggestion is that by popping the pill you will recover health and youth and virility.

If I see another middle-ages mom eating a bowl of cereal to lose weight, I'm going to scream.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    If I see another middle-ages mom eating a bowl of cereal to lose weight, I'm going to scream.
    "But mom, these are my jeans."

No wonder I hardly ever bother to turn my TV on these days.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a Tums commercial, but the food is slapping the eater. I didn't pay attention before, but the message I am getting now is that if you want to eat crap that makes you sick, pop a pill and continue eat the crap you KNOW is making you sick.

That Sensa stuff. Eat what you want, sprinkle Sensa on it (including ice cream and doughnuts) and you will lose weight. Yeah, that'll happen...

ARG!!!!!!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I will laugh my ass off if I see someone sprinkling Sensa on their food at a restaurant.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Sorry, didn't get to watch the commercial, but isn't that the actress who was in Dynasty?
    Joan Collins... yes it is. She is well known for being a diva both on and offscreen. In that commercial she's ~79.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    The goddamn All Bran ad.
    You know the one.

Lies it promotes:
    -You need fiber to "go".
    -If you feel unwell after eating or you're not going often enough, you're not eating enough fiber.
    -Bran fiber (indigestible roughage not unlike shredded tree bark) is the only source of fiber to consider.
    -Eating bran fiber is natural to humans.

Stupidity/Flawed Argument:
    -Uses herbivores, not granivores, to say we must eat grain (none of the animals presented rely on grain for anything, it's mostly leafy greens that they get fiber from).

Tools used:
    -Demeans the audience (the narrative voices of the animals are basically saying "Stupid, stupid you...").
    -Appeal to our natural senses: bright light, animals, greenery...
    -Associates All-Bran with a natural diet and with animals, to create an illusion of healthiness.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast