Thread: Starbucks with good coffee?? *gasp* page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Starbucks with good coffee?? *gasp*

Today I went to the Starbucks in Palo Alto, determined to get a warm cup of herbal tea before I started the day's work. In the corner of my eye, I saw a board of "reserve" single-origin cups for sale, about $4-5 per grande cup. I ended up ordering one of them, and they even brewed it in their "reverse French press" machine. The coffee turned out perfectly smooth, tasty, and lacked too much bitterness. The barista told me that they only do it in nearby Starbucks around Menlo Park/Palo Alto in Norcal, but was wondering if anybody else has seen these being sold elsewhere.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope. I don't drink Starbucks but there is one on every corner here. I've yet to see anything more than a blonde roast as a side offering. I doubt it'll sell elsewhere. Paying $4 for a fancy sweet drink is bad enough. I doubt many will pay that much for brewed coffee.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    If you're talking about their clover machine, yes! We have the super-special beans & clover machine at a few locations in nyc, and it's pretty tasty. The first time I tried the single-origin, the barista explained the machine and gave me an espresso cup of drip to make a side by side comparison.
    Also, Philz (and others) have already proven that people will pay $4, 5, 7, 9... ? For a cup of coffee. (Maybe it's just nyc & sf area... I spend time both those places, but not in LA)

For Chicagoans the only one I have seen is on Michigan ave at Madison across from millennium park. I have done a couple of the cheaper beans (some will cost .60 more and other single origin cups will cost you double or triple more than a regular brewed cup). I did notice a bump up in taste difference but it hasn't caused me to want to get it habitually.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    Also, Philz (and others) have already proven that people will pay $4, 5, 7, 9... ? For a cup of coffee. (Maybe it's just nyc & sf area... I spend time both those places, but not in LA)
    +1....I am guilty of this. However, I also pay for the atmosphere that I enjoy more at Philz, and the fact that they use local cream without additives, shake it up, and pour it expertly to help the coffee along, but not completely overwhelm it in all its milkiness. When I first started working Palo Alto, I spent about $50 on just coffee during the month at Philz. >_>