Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High metabolism, powerlifting, eating disorders, and a sensitive stomach page

RoninLioness is offline Junior Member

High metabolism, powerlifting, eating disorders, and a sensitive stomach

Shop Now
    Hello, I am still fairly new to the primal diet, but I have been doing quite well with it. I am a powerlifter (22/f/64 in/115 lbs), and a former anorexic with a very high metabolism. Due to the constraints of my job and studies, I like to lift in the early morning. However, this has led to some problems when it comes to my morning meals. If I go to the gym without eating, I tend to get lightheaded and I have fainted once. If I eat breakfast before lifting or sprinting, I feel very sick and have to leave early. I solved this problem before the paleo diet by having gatorade before and during my workouts, then eating a very large breakfast after my lifting. Now I am trying to avoid sugar (which gatorade is chock full of), so I am not sure how to solve the problem.

I have tried eating a large protein and fat-rich meal before bed, but I wake up hungry anyway. Has anyone found a good, fast energy source that would be easy on one's digestive system for before and during the gym?

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone else on here ever had an eating disorder? I have been a bit worried about relapsing, since the weight loss benefits of the diet are widely touted. I am not looking to lose weight, I am just looking to be healthy and live longer, while getting stronger.

-RoninLioness

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried just eating a very small meal beforehand? Sometimes I have a handful of nuts or half a tangerine (food I feed to my parrots) or even a very small bowl of plain yogurt. Mostly I go in before breakfast and eat right after. I only get dizzy because the weight is heavy, not from low blood sugar. I sometimes get really super hungry, and then my breakfast feels awesome to eat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I like a pre-workout banana if I have to lift in the morning--very easy to digest, quick, and small. Also, I avoid coffee before a morning workout because that's guaranteed to make me sick.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Coconut water?

And yes on the eating disorder...somewhat. I never got fully fledged, but I was borderline anorexic at one point.

I am also a powerlifter
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 12-26-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I've struggled with ED for the past 18years. It ebs and flows. Stay away from IF, it's dangerous for females with a history of ED. Have you tried a few slices of baked yam or apple sauce in the morning? You may also want to check out this blog:

Paleo for Women | The Blog

She has some great info!

waytocupok is offline Junior Member
    yeah,agree, yes on the eating disorder...somewhat. I never got fully fledged, but I was borderline anorexic at one point.thank you

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    I've struggled with ED for the past 18years. It ebs and flows. Stay away from IF, it's dangerous for females with a history of ED.
    I don't think it's a big deal if you've truly healed from ED, since I've been able to IF with no problem. But then again, I've suffered from it for only several years, so perhaps it's also how much of your life it's consumed.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninLioness View Post
    I have tried eating a large protein and fat-rich meal before bed, but I wake up hungry anyway. Has anyone found a good, fast energy source that would be easy on one's digestive system for before and during the gym?
    You don't need to eat right before a workout or during. It isn't necessary. Also, the times in which you are used to eating are the times your body will tell you when you are hungry. In other words, if you're used to skipping breakfast, you won't be hungry in the morning. On the other hand, if you're used to eating all day, you'll likely be hungry all day.

So, I'm just saying that you do have the option of skipping breakfast. It won't hurt you. You can always wait and eat after.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninLioness View Post
    Also, out of curiosity, has anyone else on here ever had an eating disorder? I have been a bit worried about relapsing, since the weight loss benefits of the diet are widely touted. I am not looking to lose weight, I am just looking to be healthy and live longer, while getting stronger.
    Yes, I used to have an eating disorder as well. I was obese.

What I found in my case is that it was for similar reasons to anorexia. The main problem was that I simply didn't have a realistic idea as to what was a good weight for me. An anorexic person looks at themselves in the mirror and sees a fat person even if they're underweight and starving to death. I'd look at myself in the mirror being 220 lbs and almost 60 lbs overweight (which is considered obese by doctors), and I'd see a guy who is just a little chubby and wonder why I wasn't getting any dates, even though in reality my belly stuck out like Santa Clause.

Once I figured out a more realistic weight for me, I've never been fat again.

But for you, I think it's the same thing. Know what is a healthy weight for you based on doctors standards. And realize that guys don't like girls that are too skinny. If you can do that, you'll never have a relapse.

I guess that's what it all boils down to, knowing the truth. An underweight BMI is both unhealthy and ugly. And women typically look the best when they're towards the bottom of the BMI scale, slightly over but not under.

For me on the other hand, I know that a BMI of over 25 is too much.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I will usually have BCAAs right before and while training. Powerlifting is *very* taxing on the CNS and I if I an ME day (which is rare nowadays), I will always add dextrose or just use Biotest Surge.
    No, it's not primal, but neither is powerlifting. It is, however, a damn fun way to lift and see what you can do.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

mollyamorous is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    I've struggled with ED for the past 18years. It ebs and flows. Stay away from IF, it's dangerous for females with a history of ED.
    For those of us with a history of eating d/o, relationships with food and self are always changing. And I agree: IF is not recommended for folks with a history of eating d/o, particularly restrictive type. Everyone's different, but for those with a history of anorexia food can be approached as necessary fuel for your workout. Make sure low GI carbs are a consistent part of your diet and you are learning to eat intuitively and mindfully as opposed to counting calories. Some folks recommend "loading" with carbs the evening before a workout if eating in the morning doesn't settle well with your stomach. Good carbs to choose are plantain or sweet potato, and make sure to consume them with fat. I personally like sweet potato hash browns, or fried plantains with steak and onions. This kind of meal may be able to sustain you throughout the next morning's workout.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast