Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If one wanted to go "nut free" that should eliminate seeds right? page 3

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

You can pry my macadamia nuts from my cold dead hands.
    My gift to you Paleobird, and if I had the inclination to go to my upstairs computer I would have used photoshop, but I didn't...

paleobird_macadamia.jpg
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Pretty much the entire world only started getting high rates of obesity, diabetes and cancers in the last 100 years and mostly in the last 50. There is no doubt that this is from a multitude of things but processed foods, chemicals and a sedentary lifestyle are chief among them.
    Let's not forget the radio waves emitted from wireless laptops. If these are dangerous then I'm definitely a candidate for crotch cancer

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I imagine that macadamias use their shells as the primary defense rather than chemicals. I don't think there's an animal on earth that can open a macadamia nut. Even the crows attempt to open them by dropping them in traffic but running a car over a macadamia still doesn't open it.

Local Native Americans in my area ate acorns and chia. Acorns take a lot of preparation to become edible. There are bitter tannins in the nut that must be rinsed away from the pulverized nut meat. Chia takes less preparation but damn those chia flowers have really painful thorns and it's not like the land is blanketed in abundant chia. If it was me, I might take the time out to prepare and eat acorns, but I think my time could be much better spent going fishing and diving for lobster, urchin and other seafood.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Let's not forget the radio waves emitted from wireless laptops. If these are dangerous then I'm definitely a candidate for crotch cancer
    You jest, but I will not sit with a laptop actually on my lap....better safe than sorry I say

Paleobird Guest
    Didn't mean to set off round 47,534 of the carb wars. My comment about rice and beans not being optimal nutrition was not about the carb content at all. It was about them being grain and legume respectively. Read the PB if you need to ask why those are bad for you.

jojohaligo, I can't get your attachment to open for some reason.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-22-2012 at 01:16 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we eat several kinds of soaked seeds and nuts in small quantities throughout the week because they do actually have trace minerals that are helpful for us. For example, the soil here is very low on selenium, and two soaked brazil nuts per day provides all the selenium that we need to be healthy. So, we eat those. Pumpkin seeds have several minerals that DH specifically needs, and we toss the soaked ones into a salad and all get benefit.

If you want to go nut/seed free, then certainly do. no one is saying you shouldn't. We have opted not to -- but it's not like we are eating mass quantities.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I imagine that macadamias use their shells as the primary defense rather than chemicals. I don't think there's an animal on earth that can open a macadamia nut. Even the crows attempt to open them by dropping them in traffic but running a car over a macadamia still doesn't open it.

Local Native Americans in my area ate acorns and chia. Acorns take a lot of preparation to become edible. There are bitter tannins in the nut that must be rinsed away from the pulverized nut meat. Chia takes less preparation but damn those chia flowers have really painful thorns and it's not like the land is blanketed in abundant chia. If it was me, I might take the time out to prepare and eat acorns, but I think my time could be much better spent going fishing and diving for lobster, urchin and other seafood.
    Yep, mac nuts are very labor intensive to get open. Probably why they are so bloody expensive.

When I was a kid you could pick abalone right off the tide pool rocks. Easy pickins compared to the prep required for acorns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123