Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 9

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree that it is the tweaks that are extreme.

I would say that Mark's assertion is quite simple: 1. calculate protein needs; 2. determine carb needs; 3. the rest is fat. This means that the diet could be "low carb" (less than 40% calories from carbs) or "VLC" (less than 50g net carbs per day) or "high fat" (40% or more from fat) or "low fat" (less than 40% calories from fat) or even "very low fat" such that it would be under 30% (which CW says is "low fat").

It's easy enough to adjust to the carb and fat ratios that you want. It's just the protein that basically stays the same.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I agree that it is the tweaks that are extreme.

I would say that Mark's assertion is quite simple: 1. calculate protein needs; 2. determine carb needs; 3. the rest is fat. This means that the diet could be "low carb" (less than 40% calories from carbs) or "VLC" (less than 50g net carbs per day) or "high fat" (40% or more from fat) or "low fat" (less than 40% calories from fat) or even "very low fat" such that it would be under 30% (which CW says is "low fat").

It's easy enough to adjust to the carb and fat ratios that you want. It's just the protein that basically stays the same.
    Would you care to explain why you define VLC in terms of an absolute quantity of carbs per day regardless of weight, activity yada yada, while you define low carb more scientifically in terms of % calories from carbs? The two don't marry up.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Pro's:
    Looking at photos and not seeing myself as fat.
    Feel better
    Better skin
    Less episodes of reflux
    More constant energy
    Less working out

Cons:
    Expensive....beans and rice are cheap, as is pizza. Grass fed meats, not so much.
    Expensive- constantly buying new clothes
    Hard to eat out
    Have to cook pretty much every meal - gets old

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post

Switched to high-carb, low-fat Perfect Health Diet WITH some Ray Peat tweaks (organic sugar cane, more gelatin and less muscle meat, pregnenalone supplementation) AND used cold thermogenesis:

Pros: my body comp has been slowly shifting to where I want it
    significantly more energy and therefore I able able to be active again
    I make progress in the gym on a regular basis (I increase the weight on something every week)
    depression disappeared, my mood is awesome, anxiety attacks decreased
    my body temperature is steadily improving, I'm rarely cold anymore, and I generally feel like my body is warm and toasty
    my hair isn't falling out in handfuls anymore. It's still thin, but it seems like there is new growth, so I'll have to wait to see how that improves
    my blood pressure is back to low average, I'm not having orthostatic hypotension everytime I stand up anymore
    since ditching most of the vegetables I was eating on paleo/primal, and making some other changes, my IBS is gone
    my desire to binge eat completely disappeared

No improvment: sleep quality. My sleep is very inconsistent. Some nights it's great, some nights I wake up every hour. However, I no longer experience complete insomnia, where I can't fall asleep at all and am awake the whole night, which was somewhat frequent on low-carb/high fat. Not sure if there is a connection to diet on this one.
    Actually PB is quite close to the Perfect Health diet. Also the PHD is not low fat, how did you reach that conclusion? - The Diet | Perfect Health Diet

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Otzi, i didnt say that this would happen to everyone, i simply posted my cons from a paleo diet and yes my story is very real. Go check out Matt Stones book "How to live better then a caveman". There are over fifty real life experiences just like mine, all of whom read and followed MDA.

And to say that it wasnt the diet, it was the way i implemented it is correct but the reason i am here is to show people the dangers of blindly following advice from gurus and random people who are so enamored with a diet that thy will say anything to protect it.

I did this diet years ago when low carb was the holy grail so no i didnt know i could just up my carbs. It was also a time when meat, fat and veg was it and i didnt know i could limit those and eat more starch or fruit. Infact all the guru's specifically said otherwise. I know now exactly what ruined my health and no amount of tweaking an already failed diet would have brought me back. What did bring me back was the supposed neolithic agents of diseases (laff) and avoiding the three pillors of paleo (fat, meat, plant).

If mine was just a complete anomaly then i wouldnt be here, but in the years since i have come across literal hundreds of others just like me.

In closing, i could care less if the hardcore primals of this forum dont believe me, think im a troll or whatever, i will continue to give advice how i see it. Almost all of my posts are trying to be helpful, im not hating on anyones success, i only offer help to people who seem to not be doing well and are only getting one sided advice.
    Zach I find your comments interesting and I'm curious as to why it doesn't reflect my experience or results at all. So I'm wondering how different your diet was from mine. If you don't mind I'd be curious as to what you ate in a typical day that resulted in all the negative effects you outlined...Thanks

FYI here is a typical day for me:

Breakfast - usually IF until about noon - but have a black coffee and a large glass of water at day break.

1st Meal - Brussel sprouts, Kale, onion, red bell peppers, cabbage sauteed in coconut oil and then scrambled with 3 or 4 eggs. A couple of days a week I'll also have 3 or 4 pieces of bacon. Also typically have an avocado.

Mid Afternoon - Can of sardines or tuna or salmon salad mixed with Paleo friendly mayo and chopped onion

Dinner - Meat, Poultry or Fish with a large mixed vegetable salad and a cooked vegetable (rotate cauliflower, yams, beets, kale, spinach, brussel sprouts for variety). Salad dressing is ususally 1 part olive oil/1 part balsamic vinegar mixed with mustard.

Treats - Red Wine and Dark chocolate a couple times a week.

I try to make sure everything is organic, pastuered, free range and local when possible.
    Last edited by canuck416; 12-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Pros:
    Lost "the last" 10 pounds
    No more Prilosec

Neutrals: other people see improvement in this, I did not.
    No "boundless energy"
    No change in monthly cycle
    No change in sex drive
    No help with depression

Cons:
    Expensive (I make decent money so it doesn't matter as for me, but it does for others)
    Social issues -- I'm really tired of explaining to people that I can only have a little bit of cake.
    I have to stay very strict for primal to work.

I do not follow the fitness. I have tried several times to institute a fitness component, but I each time I get sidelined by work stress or some other depressive moods and I just go back to sleep. Overall, it's worth it to stay primal if only to keep off the Prilosec. But at the moment I'm having a very hard time staying strict, and yes, candy binging is becoming a problem.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Zach is offline Banned
    Canuck,

My health declined over several years and several variations of paleo so i cant really give you a typical day. I can give you a timeline of diets and the trends that happened.

Started out with The Zone because of Crossfit. The Zone actually wasnt to bad and i learned a lot about food quantity from it.
    Started Paleo/Zone after Robb Wolf came on the scene.
    Removed zone aspect and started real Paleo after Wolf left crossfit and stopped pimping Zone.
    Added in fasting, leangains and warrior diet
    Went to VLC paleo because that was THE thing for health and fat loss
    Did strict carnivore for a bit until i felt like i was gunna die.

That was the general timeline although there were other variations and times where i binged. Also tried a more relaxed paleo like PB afterwords but nothing helped until i abandoned it altogether.

The general theme was gradually removing carbs, replacing them with LOTS of protein and fat.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    JUst like to say I am finding this thread really enlightening, so please keep posting your pros and cons! It's fascinating how differently everyone is responding to the same basic concept.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Zach I find your comments interesting and I'm curious as to why it doesn't reflect my experience or results at all. So I'm wondering how different your diet was from mine.
    Canuck, the conclusion I'm coming to is that the genetic factor is massive. Each person responds differently to foodstuffs, depending on what they're genetically predisposed to. This is why the Food Pyramid has been such a disaster for people - the one size fits all approach doesn't work, no matter how much "science" there is to back up certain claims.

It seems to me that people who do best on Primal are those who have issues with glucose metabolism, whereas those who have a genetic predisposition to thyroid problems can't handle low carb.

I'd love to do a whole separate thread on this...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Paleo does have wide room for variety and there is some credence to genetic variance. I think the most easily ascertained information to determine your particular macro predisposition would be to have a look at your amylase copy number:

Diet and the evolution of human amylase gene copy ... [Nat Genet. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

So looking at this..... "Starch consumption is a prominent characteristic of agricultural societies and hunter-gatherers in arid environments. In contrast, rainforest and circum-arctic hunter-gatherers and some pastoralists consume much less starch.".....may give you indication of your personal disposition.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Would you care to explain why you define VLC in terms of an absolute quantity of carbs per day regardless of weight, activity yada yada, while you define low carb more scientifically in terms of % calories from carbs? The two don't marry up.
    Because of how the terms are generally used both within and outside of these boards.

In general, "low carb" is often understood to be anything below 40% calories from carbs. When people look at primal/paleo, they *assume* that it's "low carb" because we do not eat breads, pastas, etc. This isn't necessarily true.

On this board, "low carb" means below 100g/day, and then "VLC" is less than 50(net)g/day. Many people are doing "low carb" to help with weight loss and VLC for weight loss, ketosis, or special needs (mentioned before). Because people on these various gram amounts (which comes right from Mark's blog), consume a different number of calories per day, it wouldn't add up in the percentages as an "exact percentage."

For example, I eat an average of 1600 calories per day (across a month). If I eat 100 g of carbs, that's 400 calories, or 25% of my diet. If I eat 2000 calories per day and have 100g of carbs, that's 400 calories or 20% of my diet.

Thus, in terms of how this board, in particular, uses terms like "low carb" and VLC, I refer to the gram amounts as per Mark's book/blog since that's usually what *this board* means.

In terms of how this fits into the common percentage understandings, obviously, if I wanted to consume 40% of my 1600 calories from carbs, I would need to get 160g of carbohydrate to meet that amount. It's not that difficult, because according to the internet, that's 4 bananas.

It's also outside of Mark's own "carb curve" -- but if I were more active than I am at the moment, it would probably be no problem. Right now, I put my carbs around 100g (some days it's down near 80, others it's up near 125), because that keeps the "easy to maintain" zone, which I have noticed in my own body.

As such, the two *DO* marry up in terms of how an individual wants to do things.

If you want to do primal/paleo that is not low carb, you can -- in my case, by eating 4 bananas (and no other fruit/veg). So, it's not difficult for me to get 40% of my caloric intake from carbs, and I don't necessarily think that Mark's curve there is gospel, and he even says as much. . . htat individuals will vary.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast