Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 6

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Since dropping fatty meats for the most part (I've never really been a big fan) and eating leaner meats, trying to find more gelatinous cuts, eating a lot more eggs and a whole hell of a lot more fruit and starch, my lifts went through the roof, I don't have chills anymore after I eat, I've leaned out quite a bit, have a ton more energy, way stronger libido...it's a night and day difference. Research has pointed me that it's largely due to not enough carbohydrate to balance out all the protein I was eating from all the meat. Too much protein in the absence of carbohydrate promotes an overabundance of glucagon, and it also promotes gluconeogenesis. People act like gluconeogenesis is a good thing around here. It is you essentially forcing your body to break down muscle tissue to make glucose for your brain. It is very stressful and mimics starvation stress. Your body wants to function on its primary metabolic pathway, not be forced to tap into "reserves" and use a secondary metabolic process. In small doses, carbohydrate restriction and slipping into gluconeogenesis/ketosis can be very beneficial, but when it's a typical occurrence your body starts breaking down - which is why people feel great initially, then start feeling like shit 3-6 months in.

Embrace all food. Eat some meat, vegetables, fruit and starch every day if you can. Just pick healthy, unprocessed, nutrient-dense, whole food sources. You'll drop the weight as long as your calories are under control, and you'll do it without generating tons of stress hormones.
    The first paragraph is great. It talks about what worked for you and I'm happy you found your balance.

The second paragraph is prescriptive. What if that is not *my* optimal balance?

And I am so glad that you eventually came around on the idea of calories.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Pure white and Deadly as Yudkin would say.

BTW, I don't have a diet soda thread anywhere. There is one on which I and the majority of other posters soundly trounced the idea of Primal including any kind of sodas, diet or otherwise.
    There's nothing deadly about white sugar. It's just empty calories. There isn't anything inherently toxic about it, unlike, say...wheat, corn, soy or canola oil. White sugar is only a problem when it's consumed in a chronic caloric excess - but anything in excess is a problem.

Displacing whole food calories for white sugar is a bad idea because you're not getting any nutrition along with it. That's why it's better to eat fruit than sucrose - you're getting tons of nutrients with it. But a little here and there isn't harmful for the overwhelming majority, and can even be medicinal for those with metabolic issues or athletes.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    The first paragraph is great. It talks about what worked for you and I'm happy you found your balance.

The second paragraph is prescriptive. What if that is not *my* optimal balance?

And I am so glad that you eventually came around on the idea of calories.
    That's why I tell everyone to embrace all food - because they need to figure out how much of each works for them and which foods make them feel best. If they are skipping out on a food group, they have no idea what they're missing. I felt like crap avoiding carbs because I was missing out on 1/3 of the awesome foods on Earth. And a lot of people following a low fat diet are struggling with the same problem. Try everything and adjust accordingly over months or years to find that proper balance.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I became afraid of carbs on Primal... waaay back in March 2012 To be fair, this forum is very progressive. If you just read The Primal Blueprint or read some of the blogs Mark promotes it's easy to develop fear of... insulin spikes.
    Mark also wrote the forward for the PHD which is about equal thirds c/f/p.

You're flat out wrong. This forum is very carbohydrate-fearing. I get PM's all the time about it. Just do a search. We've gone through this before. A simple 2 minute search pulled up dozens of recent threads of people scared of the insulin faeries that come to bite you when you eat a potato or fruit. I pasted a bunch in a post when you said the same thing a week or two ago, which you then ignored and never followed up on.
    And a simple search of the front pages shows a half dozen devoted to potato worship. There are also threads about Libertarianism here, lots of them. Does that mean the PB and or Mark are Libertarians?

Paleobird Guest
    That's why I tell everyone to embrace all food - because they need to figure out how much of each works for them and which foods make them feel best. If they are skipping out on a food group, they have no idea what they're missing. I felt like crap avoiding carbs because I was missing out on 1/3 of the awesome foods on Earth. And a lot of people following a low fat diet are struggling with the same problem. Try everything and adjust accordingly over months or years to find that proper balance.
    But when someone has tried all foods and found the ones that work best *for them* and that doesn't happen to include starches you refer to them as having "disordered eating".

Paleobird Guest
    There's nothing deadly about white sugar. It's just empty calories. There isn't anything inherently toxic about it, unlike, say...wheat, corn, soy or canola oil. White sugar is only a problem when it's consumed in a chronic caloric excess - but anything in excess is a problem.

Displacing whole food calories for white sugar is a bad idea because you're not getting any nutrition along with it. That's why it's better to eat fruit than sucrose - you're getting tons of nutrients with it. But a little here and there isn't harmful for the overwhelming majority, and can even be medicinal for those with metabolic issues or athletes.
    Choco, absolutely no disagreement there about fruit. I was just goofing on Derpy's comment about white sugar being "so pure".

What is "excess" however varies from person to person. You can handle a substantial amount. Others can't.

And , if you are willing to wade through some fairly dense science, this is very interesting about why sugar is NOT benign.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-21-2012 at 02:42 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Mark also wrote the forward for the PHD which is about equal thirds c/f/p.
    Nice! What PhD is this? I googled Mark Scisson PhD... and ironically, this came up: Low Carb Paleo with Mark Sisson - YouTube

Btw, in relation to Yudkin's "Pure, white and deadly" - I spoke to Yudkin's son a couple of months ago. Turns out his dad's book was ignored by the medical communities because his research didn't have enough case studies. I had been under the impression that it was because the sugar industry had spoken out against it.

Nice! What PhD is this? I googled Mark Scisson PhD... and ironically, this came up: Low Carb Paleo with Mark Sisson - YouTube
    The Perfect Health Diet, by Drs. Jaminet.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Choco, absolutely no disagreement there about fruit. I was just goofing on Derpy's comment about white sugar being "so pure".

What is "excess" however varies from person to person. You can handle a substantial amount. Others can't.

And , if you are willing to wade through some fairly dense science, this is very interesting about why sugar is NOT benign.
    Enjoying this video...

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York

Btw, in relation to Yudkin's "Pure, white and deadly" - I spoke to Yudkin's son a couple of months ago. Turns out his dad's book was ignored by the medical communities because his research didn't have enough case studies. I had been under the impression that it was because the sugar industry had spoken out against it.
    Yes, PHD with a big H The video I inserted above is Dr Lustig who read Yudkin's work and set out to see if it was true or not. He does have the case studies to back it up. It's a pretty long vid but well worth it.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast