Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 5

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Zach,

Sorry you had no pros on Primal! What do you think caused all your cons? Was it the low carb or something else?
    High protein and high unsaturated fat combined with a lowish carb and high fiber caused all sorts of cascades. Everything reacts to everything so it all had a role to play.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Refined sugar? Where? Where do I ever give dietary advice that even resembles my own? When I was giving advice to Knifegill, I never mentioned anything except gelatin(fyi I meant great lakes beef gelatin, and bone broth), fruit, raw sugar and dairy. No coke, no gummy bears, no refined sugar.
    "Raw sugar" unless you are talking about gnawing on a sugar cane IS refined sugar. It's not bleached white but it's still refined. And, in what reality is Coke a "real whole food" and yes you have talked about drinking your "mexican " cokes because the only have "real" sugar and not HFCS so the are "healthy". Yeahright.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-21-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    High protein and high unsaturated fat combined with a lowish carb and high fiber caused all sorts of cascades. Everything reacts to everything so it all had a role to play.
    Zach, I totally agree that this would be a problem. Protein needs to be kept moderate, the emphasis needs to be on saturated fat and stay away from unsaturateds as much as possible.
    Carbs can be at the level that works for you and I don't think that huge amounts of dietary fiber are beneficial and they can even be detrimental.

Look as us being all civil and stuff.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "Raw sugar" unless you are talking about gnawing on a sugar cane IS refined sugar. It's not bleached white but it's still refined. And, in what reality is Coke a "real whole food"
    Unrefined raw sugar is made from the juice from the sugar cane plant and has trace minerals and nutrients present. Refined sugar is devoid of all nutrients. Doesn't matter, I would recommend pure refined white sugar anyway. Since it doesn't contain iron and is incredibly pure. I thought by refined sugar you meant something else entirely.

I don't tell people to drink coke, but there is nothing wrong with it. You have a diet soda thread on the first page.
    nihil

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Choco, I'm would actually be really interested to hear what your pros and cons have been, if you've had them.
    Well, it's multifaceted. When I first started this I believed in the big bad insulin faeries. Now, I pretty much believe in the exact opposite. In fact, the higher GI the food, the better I typically feel on it. I spent about 4 months scared of fruit and potatoes.

My avoidance of grains and legumes initially had me feeling great. My skin cleared up, I had more energy, I wasn't as hungry, etc. But it suffered from the law of diminishing returns...and eventually started going backwards. My lifts started going backwards, I got the chills after I ate, I had a very low heart rate at night (my pulse before bed was 43 and in the 50's during the day), I got gassy if I had dairy and I wasn't really losing any body fat...just stalling or losing muscle.

Since dropping fatty meats for the most part (I've never really been a big fan) and eating leaner meats, trying to find more gelatinous cuts, eating a lot more eggs and a whole hell of a lot more fruit and starch, my lifts went through the roof, I don't have chills anymore after I eat, I've leaned out quite a bit, have a ton more energy, way stronger libido...it's a night and day difference. Research has pointed me that it's largely due to not enough carbohydrate to balance out all the protein I was eating from all the meat. Too much protein in the absence of carbohydrate promotes an overabundance of glucagon, and it also promotes gluconeogenesis. People act like gluconeogenesis is a good thing around here. It is you essentially forcing your body to break down muscle tissue to make glucose for your brain. It is very stressful and mimics starvation stress. Your body wants to function on its primary metabolic pathway, not be forced to tap into "reserves" and use a secondary metabolic process. In small doses, carbohydrate restriction and slipping into gluconeogenesis/ketosis can be very beneficial, but when it's a typical occurrence your body starts breaking down - which is why people feel great initially, then start feeling like shit 3-6 months in.

Embrace all food. Eat some meat, vegetables, fruit and starch every day if you can. Just pick healthy, unprocessed, nutrient-dense, whole food sources. You'll drop the weight as long as your calories are under control, and you'll do it without generating tons of stress hormones.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Oh, Choco. Your idea that Primal is carb-phobic is so 2009.
    I became afraid of carbs on Primal... waaay back in March 2012 To be fair, this forum is very progressive. If you just read The Primal Blueprint or read some of the blogs Mark promotes it's easy to develop fear of... insulin spikes.

Oh, Choco. Your idea that Primal is carb-phobic is so 2009. Your list of the alleged ills that are sure to befall any low carbers is just flat out wrong but yet you keep repeating it.
    You're flat out wrong. This forum is very carbohydrate-fearing. I get PM's all the time about it. Just do a search. We've gone through this before. A simple 2 minute search pulled up dozens of recent threads of people scared of the insulin faeries that come to bite you when you eat a potato or fruit. I pasted a bunch in a post when you said the same thing a week or two ago, which you then ignored and never followed up on.

Then you keep banging on the "eat whole real foods" drum as if anyone around here other than the candy and soda swillers even disagreed with you. That is not a new idea. It is the cornerstone of PB. Stop acting like you invented it.
    It's a new idea for a lot of the new members, which outnumber the regulars. Don't deny what is around you.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I became afraid of carbs on Primal... waaay back in March 2012 To be fair, this forum is very progressive. If you just read The Primal Blueprint or read some of the blogs Mark promotes it's easy to develop fear of... insulin spikes.
    Excellent.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Unrefined raw sugar is made from the juice from the sugar cane plant and has trace minerals and nutrients present. Refined sugar is devoid of all nutrients. Doesn't matter, I would recommend pure refined white sugar anyway. Since it doesn't contain iron and is incredibly pure. I thought by refined sugar you meant something else entirely.

I don't tell people to drink coke, but there is nothing wrong with it. You have a diet soda thread on the first page.
    Pure white and Deadly as Yudkin would say.

BTW, I don't have a diet soda thread anywhere. There is one on which I and the majority of other posters soundly trounced the idea of Primal including any kind of sodas, diet or otherwise.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would recommend someone get the majority of their carbs from fruit anyway. White sugar is just supplemental and medicinal for stress. Not really going to comment about that Yudkin quote.

Too bad many people seem to have a phobia of fructose too
    nihil

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast