Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 28

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    You think fructose malabsorption is simply anecdotal?
    It happened to her, it does not happen to me, so yes, it's anecdotal.

You have advised everyone in this thread having problems to just eat more sugar.
    No, I did not, I was just debating my opinion on fructose. I haven't even been paying attention to anyone having problems. If it happened, it happened in the beginning of the thread and it would certainly depend on context.

Sorry, you quoted one source that says fructose has a function during hypoxia and another that showed it caused an uptake in copper (you do realize that too much copper is a bad thing, right?). In 99.5% of studies fructose has been shown to be harmful or increase aging. Yes I will believe what I want, but I am pretty certain that what it believe is perfectly rational.
    There are citations in every post I've made in this thread. Not all are direct links to PubMed articles(PubMed is a medical site anyway, which in itself causes a lot of problems.) But searching for the citations on scholarly google will take you right to it.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Not sure what you're reading, but I only became hostile when paleo-bunny(who is quite fairweather, btw) resorted to not addressing what I was saying and choosing to call me a "sugar fiend" as her way of refuting my points. This happens frequently on this site, granted, I probably reacted too strongly to something really unimportant, but it's the internet.

I'm hardly hostile, angry, or antagonistic.
    To be fair, dude, that doesn't really help your case. We understand this, but why waste your energy being hostile when "she started it"?

This thread has gotten outrageously off track. If you guys want to debate sugar, I don't think it's even fair to say "start a new thread" at this point. Start a new forum!

Shows how much I care about the current discussion: I come in to make a point about arguing effectively.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    To be fair, dude, that doesn't really help your case. We understand this, but why waste your energy being hostile when "she started it"?
    Yeah, you're right, and I agree. I reacted poorly, and said so in that post.

Artem is offline Junior Member
    Pros are endless! Egg and bacon breakfast being helthy is totally worth the "carb sacrifice"

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    Not to mention Irish butter and cheese....

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    It happened to her, it does not happen to me, so yes, it's anecdotal.
    I am completely flabbergasted.

Fructose Malabsorption is very common. Up to one in three people or 33% has some level of sugar sensitivity - most commonly to Fructose.
    Fructose Sensitivity

FM can cause depression, especially in women: Could Soda and Sugar Be Causing Your Depression? | Psychology Today

This is not something you can just answer with a handwave.

Look, I don't think sugar is teh eeeevilll, and yes, I think some people can (and should) consume it, though probably only in small amounts and from whole foods. It's when you showed a lack of understanding about digestion and fructose that you completely lost me.

I do not know why you feel so emotionally invested in defending fructose. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    I am completely flabbergasted.

Fructose Sensitivity

FM can cause depression, especially in women: Could Soda and Sugar Be Causing Your Depression? | Psychology Today

This is not something you can just answer with a handwave.

Look, I don't think sugar is teh eeeevilll, and yes, I think some people can (and should) consume it, though probably only in small amounts and from whole foods. It's when you showed a lack of understanding about digestion and fructose that you completely lost me.

I do not know why you feel so emotionally invested in defending fructose. What's the point?
    I don't think we're on the same page here. You're linking studies about severe metabolic derangement(about high fructose corn syrup), likely caused by prolonged consumption of chemicals, toxic seed oils, etc, and you're comparing it to fruit?

Also, from your link:

But why would the symptoms of depression be confined to women? The researchers postulated that estrogen made the big difference. Estrogen activates an enzyme called hepatic tryptophan 2,3 dioxygenase that shifts the metabolism of tryptophan from making serotonin (happy) to making kynurenic (not happy). Women already have lower serum levels of tryptophan than men do (which may be part of the reason why we are more vulnerable to depression in the first place), so screwing up whatever available tryptophan in the diet with fructose may lead to even lower levels, and thus depression.
    There is so much wrong here it boggles my mind. Sorry, SarahW, these sources of yours just aren't credible. They're stemmed from the same bunch of fear mongering I've seen over and over again.

I also don't see where I showed a lack of understanding anywhere.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    you post practically the same "le so edgy XD" comments in every thread, your intelligence must be really suffering
    Hey, I'm pretty sure my intelligence is suffering. I mean, why else would I keep coming back to this forum? Still, that doesn't change the fact that you are a retard for posting the same inane crap in every thread. Close to three hundred posts about sugar over the last five months. And now this megathread on how fructose is superior to sucrose - or is it the other way around? I don't know, nor do I care. What I do know, however, is that it's absolutely irrelevant to 99% of the fat and unhealthy people who come here for advice.

But if you want to major in the minors then by all means go ahead. In the meantime I'll focus on whole foods, portion control, exercise and quality time with friends and family. I have a gut feeling I'll be okay even if I don't have your profound understanding of biochemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Hey, I'm pretty sure my intelligence is suffering. I mean, why else would I keep coming back to this forum? Still, that doesn't change the fact that you are a retard for posting the same inane crap in every thread. Close to three hundred posts about sugar over the last five months. And now this megathread on how fructose is superior to sucrose - or is it the other way around? I don't know, nor do I care. What I do know, however, is that it's absolutely irrelevant to 99% of the fat and unhealthy people who come here for advice.

But if you want to major in the minors then by all means go ahead. In the meantime I'll focus on whole foods, portion control, exercise and quality time with friends and family. I have a gut feeling I'll be okay even if I don't have your profound understanding of biochemistry.
    That's cool, I care a lot about your opinion. I'll think twice about making another inane post about sugar.

Enjoy your quality time.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Primal has been pretty irrelevant in terms of short term health, I'm mainly doing it for the long term gains. However cutting out milk cured my long term sinus problems and excessive amounts of wheat screw with my bowels.
    Those sound like short-term gains to me! Congrats!
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast