Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 26

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    bla bla bla
    I'm not hateful towards anyone, merely weary of assholes like you. I am confident that you will go the same way as so many other such assholes on this site.

Enjoy your sugar-fuelled fantasies. You wouldn't know a scientific argument if it bit you on the bum.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Search the term "fructose" at Journal of Nutrition and you will find more than enough scientific arguments that fructose is altogether damaging.

The article I linked to earlier, for one, and this High-Fat and Fructose Intake Induces Insulin Resistance, Dyslipidemia, and Liver Steatosis and Alters In Vivo Macrophage-to-Feces Reverse Cholesterol Transport in Hamsters for another. It goes on and on.

There's tons of misinformation out there, and imperfect spokespersons, but really, science does exist.

The only thing I would not as a "con" -which I don't think is really a con- is that my body now knows what it's like to be healthy, and even certain kinds of binges or escape from the Primal diet has the potential to make my stomach and body miserable. Before, I just thought that's how I was suppose to feel, but now my body views it negatively. I still break here or there, and when I do I know that I feel better that if I binge it's best to avoid gluten/wheat products. Learning Almond Joy/Mounds are gluten free made me very happy... I still prefer good dark chocolate, but if I must break away, gluten free is still a must.

The best "pro", honestly, is i don't remember the last time in the past year that I have needed chapstick. Upping the fat has been the best thing ever.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Hat tip to paleobunny for very reasoned, measured, and enlightening posts. Thank you-I learned something from them.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I'm not hateful towards anyone, merely weary of assholes like you. I am confident that you will go the same way as so many other such assholes on this site.

Enjoy your sugar-fuelled fantasies. You wouldn't know a scientific argument if it bit you on the bum.
    Yet you continuously reply with nothing useful. Alright, whatever.

The article I linked to earlier, for one, and this High-Fat and Fructose Intake Induces Insulin Resistance, Dyslipidemia, and Liver Steatosis and Alters In Vivo Macrophage-to-Feces Reverse Cholesterol Transport in Hamsters for another. It goes on and on.

There's tons of misinformation out there, and imperfect spokespersons, but really, science does exist.
    Found the problem. What sort of fat?

"But even high intakes of fructose do not necessarily induce insulin resistance in lean or obese human subjects (Le et al. 2006). Additionally, fructose does not influence the accumulation of visceral, subcutaneous, or liver fat (Silbernagel 2011), all of which are potent risk factors for diabetes. Fructose, however, can elevates triglyceride levels in the blood, but only at high doses; nevertheless, there is uncertainty as to how good triglycerides really are as predictors of cardiovascular disease (Miller et al. 2011)."
    nihil

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Found the problem. What sort of fat?

"But even high intakes of fructose do not necessarily induce insulin resistance in lean or obese human subjects (Le et al. 2006). Additionally, fructose does not influence the accumulation of visceral, subcutaneous, or liver fat (Silbernagel 2011), all of which are potent risk factors for diabetes. Fructose, however, can elevates triglyceride levels in the blood, but only at high doses; nevertheless, there is uncertainty as to how good triglycerides really are as predictors of cardiovascular disease (Miller et al. 2011)."
    I gave you two examples out of many, none of which prove your point, so what's up with that?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Derpamix, if your goal is to help provide people with information about how dietary changes (especially increasing sugar) could possibly help them, your approach is all wrong. I'm a believer that starches and sugars are healthy; I use them liberally myself. However your antagonistic tone is making me want to argue with you even though I don't necessarily disagree with you.

Unless you improve how you reply and interact with people on this website, people will just stop responding to your comments because any worthwhile information you might have will be lost due to the way you are trying to get the message across. No one is going to take advice from someone who openly hostile and insulting them.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    I gave you two examples out of many, none of which prove your point, so what's up with that?
    For every one I can find, there are several other sources claiming the opposite. Finding worthwhile ones that aren't conjecture is rather difficult.

Derpamix, if your goal is to help provide people with information about how dietary changes (especially increasing sugar) could possibly help them, your approach is all wrong. I'm a believer that starches and sugars are healthy; I use them liberally myself. However your antagonistic tone is making me want to argue with you even though I don't necessarily disagree with you.

Unless you improve how you reply and interact with people on this website, people will just stop responding to your comments because any worthwhile information you might have will be lost due to the way you are trying to get the message across. No one is going to take advice from someone who openly hostile and insulting them.
    Not sure what you're reading, but I only became hostile when paleo-bunny(who is quite fairweather, btw) resorted to not addressing what I was saying and choosing to call me a "sugar fiend" as her way of refuting my points. This happens frequently on this site, granted, I probably reacted too strongly to something really unimportant, but it's the internet.

I'm hardly hostile, angry, or antagonistic.
    nihil

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    TherPros-

Lost 195lbs
    No longer type II diabetic.
    Feel 100% ready for anything at anytime. Both physically and mentally.
    look 10 years younger.

Cons?

Can't think of any except some social situations that are normally easy to work around.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Exactly so. There are plenty of other ways to fill liver glycogen. Muscle glycogen stores may preferentially be the first stores refilled from starch (and glucose) but it takes relatively small amounts to do this unless you just have these massively huge muscles. And once the muscle glycogen is filled, guess what takes on a lot of the excess?
    Are you implying, that carb refeeds and hence the amount of carbs you'd want to eat post workout, depends on the amount of muscle you have?

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast