Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 23

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No, I'm saying, "Watch the video, take the time to understand it, look up all the big sciency words he uses, and realize that Ray Peat is just flat out wrong and his program is dangerous."
    Plus, I don't think Dr Lustig is overweight. Not the world's greatest fitting suit perhaps but, unless you have seen him naked and not behind a podium, how would you know? Now you're just picking at superficial things because you can't refute his scientific facts. That's very shallow of you, Derpy.
    The massive fat deposits around his cheeks say otherwise.
    "The Trouble with Fructose: a Darwinian Perspective" by Robert Lustig, MD on Vimeo

I've seen the video, which is why I can accurately say it's a joke. Your condescending attitude, while hiding behind a ridiculous video you likely don't even understand is funny in itself.

First off, the fact he makes such remedial biology mistakes already compromises the message he's presenting(refers to ethanol as a carbohydrate, it is not). He tries so desperately hard to make a parallel between alcohol and fructose in his complete bias, he completely embarrasses himself by being utterly wrong about something taught in high school. Fructose is not a toxic. It is a metabolite your body will produce on its own.

For sugar, I posted this already in this same topic:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1042639

I honestly can't be bothered to rewatch that ridiculous video to further nitpick something that anyone with basic knowledge will see as horseshit.
    nihil

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Lustig has put on weight since the video was made.

Does anyone think the internet might explode if I started a sugar thread?

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    DH and I were on SAD with loads of junk and felt great, or so we thought. At least we didn't have any stomach problems, and we loved dessert after 2 crappy meals everyday, and we wolfed down the nachos/burritos/fritos/cheetos/tacos like we did in school.

Fast forward to me finding Mark's book and this awesome website and talk about stomach upset. The fatty breakfast with uncured bacon and eggs in ghee with NO toast was stomach upset every morning. A BAS at lunch with all those greens was diarrhea central. It took several weeks of working thru the pain, mainly smaller portions helped greatly, and something 'reset' because after that it's been so easy, resulting in weight loss, better sleep and mood. Like with most things, it just takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Lustig has put on weight since the video was made.

Does anyone think the internet might explode if I started a sugar thread?
    Lustig is just a quack. This is the same guy who says to card kids when they want to buy a candy bar and to greatly tax all processed foods. Basically infringing on free will.

There is no way anyone can respect this loon or take him seriously. He's way out there. And, yeah, he's fat himself.
    nihil

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    He tries so desperately hard to make a parallel between alcohol and fructose in his complete bias, he completely embarrasses himself by being utterly wrong about something taught in high school. Fructose is not a toxic. It is a metabolite your body will produce on its own.
    Fructose is a toxin that causes about 100 times more oxidative damage than glucose. It can only be metabolised by the liver, kidney cells to a much lesser extent and cancer cells. Hence the analogy with alcohol.

The human body has no means of producing fructose that I'm aware of. There would be no rationale in its doing so.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Fructose is not a toxic. It is a metabolite your body will produce on its own.
    Derpamix, don't take this personally, but I still don't think you have a good grasp on how digestion works.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Fructose is a toxin that causes about 100 times more oxidative damage than glucose. It can only be metabolised by the liver, kidney cells to a much lesser extent and cancer cells. Hence the analogy with alcohol.

The human body has no means of producing fructose that I'm aware of. There would be no rationale in its doing so.
    There is nothing similar between the two metabolically, or biologically.

Fructose is the preferred fuel of sperm cells. It does make a certain amount.

Why do you believe it to be a toxin?
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Derpamix, don't take this personally, but I still don't think you have a good grasp on how digestion works.
    Hey, that's okay!

nihil

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing similar between the two metabolically, or biologically.

Fructose is the preferred fuel of sperm cells. It does make a certain amount.

Why do you believe it to be a toxin?
    I know that fructose is treated as a toxin as I'm a biochemistry graduate.

The metabolic similarity I have already pointed out to you. Both alcohol and fructose have to be detoxed by the liver.

When you said 'biologically' did you mean 'molecularly'?

Even if you are correct about sperm cells, they obviously don't have significant capacity to help out the liver in detoxing fructose thus they are equally irrelevant for males as they are for females in terms of this discussion.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I know that fructose is treated as a toxin as I'm a biochemistry graduate.

The metabolic similarity I have already pointed out to you. Both alcohol and fructose have to be detoxed by the liver.

When you said 'biologically' did you mean 'molecularly'?

Even if you are correct about sperm cells, they obviously don't have significant capacity to help out the liver in detoxing fructose thus they are equally irrelevant for males as they are for females in terms of this discussion.
    Being a biochemisty graduate isn't proof of anything, no offense. The only tests that have been done on this have shown unrealistically high doses of pure fructose. Effects taper off as dosages are lowered. It's literally impossible to consume toxic amounts of fructose. It's like with anything else.

What's absent is the metabolic pathway.

Considering that fructose has been shown to protect the liver:

http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/253/3/G390.short

To say that it's treated like a toxic is a fallacy
    nihil

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast