Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 22

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Choco, absolutely no disagreement there about fruit. I was just goofing on Derpy's comment about white sugar being "so pure".

What is "excess" however varies from person to person. You can handle a substantial amount. Others can't.

And , if you are willing to wade through some fairly dense science, this is very interesting about why sugar is NOT benign.
    I've watched that video several times and admit it COMPLETELY changed my view on sugar, HFCS, even fruit juice. And the part about the contents of children's formula (a shake in a bottle) was chilling. I think that video should be required in health classes in schools, frankly. This was before I even heard of primal, which seems to build on the idea.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I've watched that video several times and admit it COMPLETELY changed my view on sugar, HFCS, even fruit juice. And the part about the contents of children's formula (a shake in a bottle) was chilling. I think that video should be required in health classes in schools, frankly. This was before I even heard of primal, which seems to build on the idea.
    Yeah, in elementary school so the kids can refute it(and they will)

Can't believe anyone takes this garbage seriously and why it's STILL being passed around

Absolutely disgusting
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, in elementary school so the kids can refute it(and they will)
    Can't believe anyone takes this garbage seriously and why it's STILL being passed around
    Absolutely disgusting
    If you would care to refute the science in any logical way, perhaps people would listen. This^^is just you throwing a sugar crash tantrum.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Kevin this was my experience. I was actually on probiotics and anti fungal meds for a while. Thankfully it all seems to have worked out and I even had a little grains over the holidays without becoming deathly ill. You also may just need more carbs than others. I personally am type II diabetes so carbs are bad. May not be the case for you. Eat real foods, eat cleanly and remember that as best he could Grok at what made him feel good.

Could be a gut flora issue. Including probiotics may help. Some people report "die off" symptoms when they eliminate detrimental items. Its along the lines of those little buggers don't like you taking away their food supply so they make life difficult until you kill them all! OK thats the metaphorical version, but it works.

Also when you eat mainly fat and protein its quite normal to not have as much waste. It's not that your guts slow down. Its actually that there isn't as much debris (soluble and insoluble fiber) for the bacteria to ferment and expel from your colon.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Pre-Primal I only went maybe once or twice a week. Now I go (as of late) daily or every other day. Until my fruit experiment, that is. That was bloat, tiny clay poops every few hours and stomach pain. Now that I'm back to high-fat, things are regular.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

If you would care to refute the science in any logical way, perhaps people would listen. This^^is just you throwing a sugar crash tantrum.
    I'm sure I already have indirectly several hundred times
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    I'm sure I already have indirectly several hundred times
    Um, no. What you have done several hundred times is say, "Eat sugar because Ray Peat says so and because Danny Roddy says it will give you 'Hair Like A Fox'". That is not science. That is blindly following internet gurus.

Um, no. What you have done several hundred times is say, "Eat sugar because Ray Peat says so and because Danny Roddy says it will give you 'Hair Like A Fox'". That is not science. That is blindly following internet gurus.

Basically, what you're saying then is "don't eat sugar because an overweight pediatric endocrinologist says so on an internet video".

Good job. He refutes himself.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Basically, what you're saying then is "don't eat sugar because an overweight pediatric endocrinologist says so on an internet video".
    Good job. He refutes himself.
    No, I'm saying, "Watch the video, take the time to understand it, look up all the big sciency words he uses, and realize that Ray Peat is just flat out wrong and his program is dangerous."
    Plus, I don't think Dr Lustig is overweight. Not the world's greatest fitting suit perhaps but, unless you have seen him naked and not behind a podium, how would you know? Now you're just picking at superficial things because you can't refute his scientific facts. That's very shallow of you, Derpy.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=BestBetter;1043343]
    I liked eating this way for a period of time because I had a history of binge-eating, and I was hoping that eating like this would prevent it from ever returning.

I kind of stewed with those thoughts for a bit, and I realized that my binge-eating was psychological, and blaming it on blood sugar was really a scapegoat. I had a very emotional relationship with food, which I never fully appreciated at the time. Those high protein or high fat breakfasts were really just temporarily masking the problem. Or maybe, I did need those breakfasts for a period of time in order to get where I am...I have no way of knowing.

Switching my diet to what it is now was a very difficult decision, and I resisted it for months because I wanted so, so much to believe that low carb primal was the answer...it seemed to cure and heal so many people, and on paper it makes so much sense. And knowing that I did for a period of time feel good on paleo/primal before slowly declining makes me vigilant about looking for changes in how I'm doing on this current way of eating. It's possible I may not feel great 2 years from now...or maybe after all this time I finally cracked it. Only time will tell.

This was my original reason for eliminating dairy. After a few months of being dairy-free, my acne cleared up, and anytime I tried to reintroduce dairy as an experiment, my acne always came back (I tried grass-fed, raw, and goat milk, and had the same reaction to everything).

QUOTE]

I love this way of thinking Best - and I think this is largely what eating primal (or versions thereof) is about for a lot of people. Having an awareness of what we are eating and being able to perceive the effect it has on us is the way to better health. I'm only just learning what foods do to me because of been so numbed out and unaware of my body from years of disordered eating. It's brave to try something new as a way to healing, I'm interested in what you're doing though at this stage I know it wouldn't work for me.

Do you think including sugar stops you from feeling deprived of it, thus leaning into the idea of binging being a psychological issue? I'm quite sure sugar triggers a binge in me, but sometimes I question that this is what I've been lead to believe? I have learned that if I eat sugary food I am always ravenous the next day even if I've stuffed myself before going to bed. I can feel now that far and protein keep me full and ward off hunger, it's taken a year to get that.

I'm in relapse now with restricting and and ED, it's refreshing to see a new approach, I look forward to seeing how it works out for you. Thanks for sharing.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast