Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The positive aspect of Primal Diet for me was that I adapted to eating fat, prior to that the smell of butter made me gag. I found the fats that do not cause bad reaction for me and can cook with that. Mostly I use drippings/lard from pork and coconut oil. Every other fat I do not like.

My biggest improvement in health (hypoglycemia, hunger, etc) was with moving from LF/HC and very low caloric intakes to Whole Foods Diet. It stabilized my weight and eliminated binges.

VLC and trying various macro- and calorie staggering diets, and fasting made me binge and created depressive spells - things I am not normally given to. I am staying away from these methods as successful as they are for other people.

My sleep was a disaster, but improved dramatically (I sleep 3+ hours more than before and fall back asleep when wake up) when I gained weight and increased carb intake (got fruit in)

Overall, I gained 10 lbs in 3 years after switching from CW to Paleo/Primal variations. Some of this gain was muscle gain, but some of it is fat (I estimate that I went from slightly under 20% BF to about 25% BF). I would like to have less fat on me, but I don't know how to achieve that without decreasing the well-being and impairing muscular development.

Overall, my best fit is basically whole foods with no processed grains, not Primal/Paleo per se. Legumes quite often and occasional cooked whole grains do me good for satiation reasons. I am not sure why I can't cross into the happy fat-burner territory, but I can't. I just stay in the fatigued grey zone of misery when I try to go VLC.

If I could resolve the depressive problem, limiting sugar/fructose really makes things better for me (mood, performance, energy, shakes, acne). Unfortunately, so far my depressive spells limited my ability to reduce fructose/sugar more. I tried a few times to judge effects of dairy on me, but I do not have a clear-cut answer. Straight dairy is no good, but I cna't figure out if fermented causes problems.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-21-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    For me:
    Pros - I lost weight, mainly body fat.
    I feel more energized, and my mood has stabilized.
    No afternoon crashes.
    I can eat too much some days (all Primal, tasty foods even sweet treats) and don't gain weight.
    I got into exercising regularly and really liking it.
    I'm in good health overall. No colds or any other issues. Used to be sick a lot - upper respiratory stuff.
    I really enjoy great tasting foods, all guilt free. Eating is no longer just going through the motions to sustain myself.
    Body composition looks much better compared to in the past when I was watching calories. No more skinny fat.
    I sleep very well, 8+ hours.
    I'm sure there's more, but can't think of it now.

Negatives - Having to cook all the time. As much as I like cooking, it just gets old at times.
    Experiencing binge eating episodes at time, so far without any negative results.
    Still working on the last few vanity extra lbs. and trying to figure out how to get rid of them.
    Obsessing over my macros and pre-planing my daily menu every day.

I suppose most if not all of the negatives could be blamed on me, not on the Primal lifestyle. All in all for me the pros greatly outweigh all the cons.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    After the best part of 20 years either dieting or bingeing, I was really keen to get away from the diet mentality -

So a bit of a mixed bag for me too, but if I had to weight the pros, cons and nons, I'd say that the pros are 80%, the nons 20% . I can't really see beyond feeling great - my energy levels are crazy these days and I'm well on my way to the body I've always coveted...even if it has taken me almost 46 years to get there. No way am I stopping this
    Amazing success spuggygirl!! I'm with you on the diet mentality - I realised that I've been dieting since I was 18... and it doesn't work. Delighted to hear you've broken that cycle - hope I'll get there too

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster View Post
    I have noticed that my hair no longer falls out in the shower when I wash it. It feels thicker and so I'm hoping that I will be able to get it to grow beyond my shoulders at some point! I can dream, right?! I very rarely fart anymore
    Totally forgot - I had the exact same thing! Even before I started eating meat again, my hair stopped falling out in the shower, and it's defo growing faster. I reckon it's cutting grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post

If I could resolve the depressive problem, limiting sugar/fructose really makes things better for me (mood, performance, energy, shakes, acne). Unfortunately, so far my depressive spells limited my ability to reduce fructose/sugar more.
    Leida, I'm totally with you on pretty much all you wrote. Binging - body crying for what it needs. insomnia - I think it's a nutrition thing, not a weight thing. I've been thinner and sleeping better. I'm trying more carbs at night for it. The depression issue - I'm finding fructose and sucrose aren't helping - but white rice is!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    For me:

Experiencing binge eating episodes at time, so far without any negative results.

I suppose most if not all of the negatives could be blamed on me, not on the Primal lifestyle. All in all for me the pros greatly outweigh all the cons.
    Maybe the other negatives could be blamed on you, but the binging seems to be a recurring pattern with people, and I think it's down to the body screaming for what it needs. I started binging when I became veggie (when I was 18). I thought it would get better with Primal but it got worse. My body stopped screaming for protein and starting screaming for carbs. I think if you're binging it's a sign you're missing some macronutrient.

Zach is offline Banned
    Cons:

Severe debilitating inflammation, beginning of gout.

Worst sleep of my life, waking up multiple times to pee.

Gaining fat on a lower calorie diet.

Alienating myself from social gatherings.

Looking like a jackass from preaching paleo gospal to everyone around me (thank god i didnt start a blog).

Screwing up my view on foods and diet.

Inducing subclinical hypothyroid and all the symptoms that come along with that.

Pros:

None come to mind.

You wont find many lists like mine but that is not because there are none. Most just become disillusioned and dont come back.

Looking like a jackass from preaching paleo gospal to everyone around me (thank god i didnt start a blog).
    Huh, since when? All I've ever seen you preaching is the anti-Paleo "gospal".

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Maybe the other negatives could be blamed on you, but the binging seems to be a recurring pattern with people, and I think it's down to the body screaming for what it needs. I started binging when I became veggie (when I was 18). I thought it would get better with Primal but it got worse. My body stopped screaming for protein and starting screaming for carbs. I think if you're binging it's a sign you're missing some macronutrient.
    Yes, it seems to be recurring behavior in a lot of Paleo folks.
    For me personally, I believe it has more to do with the fact that I've always had a huge appetite and is seems to me that my binge eating is triggered by the fact that I still restrict my calories somewhat. Maybe I should experiment with allotting myself 2000 - 2200 calories a day for a while and see how that goes.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Huh, since when? All I've ever seen you preaching is the anti-Paleo "gospal".
    Maybe its just the "looking like a jackass" part that he can't get over, regardless of what he's preaching

Zach is offline Banned
    I meant in real life. I will still say whatever i want on the interwebs.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Cons:

Severe debilitating inflammation, beginning of gout.

Worst sleep of my life, waking up multiple times to pee.

Gaining fat on a lower calorie diet.

Alienating myself from social gatherings.

Screwing up my view on foods and diet.

Inducing subclinical hypothyroid and all the symptoms that come along with that.

Pros:

None come to mind.

You wont find many lists like mine but that is not because there are none. Most just become disillusioned and dont come back.
    Zach - I know you seem to want to 'show people the light', but seriously? You got all those things from eating whole, healthy foods? No way you can convince me you went from a healthy person to one with hypothyroidism, gout, inflammation, insomnia, etc... from switching from SAD to Primal Blueprint. NO WAY.

I agree with you on one point: Primal/Paleo doesn't have to be low carb. For people trying to lose lots of weight, low carb is a good tool, and if one wants to get into ketosis for whatever reason low carb is required, but for normal healthy living, low carb is not required.

I'm only replying here to you because I sense the genuine-ness in you posts. I have seen your posts at 180 Health and maybe somewhere else, you seem to like their approach and that's cool. But to come here and say that following Mark's Primal Blueprint will lead one to hypothyroidism, gout, inflammation, insomnia, etc... is just pure BS.

Maybe if you started what you considered "Paleo" and ate just meat and eggs for a long stretch of time, over-trained, and ate lots of fried foods--I did all these things in the 80's on Atkins, and was in the worst shape of my life.

Basically Primal Blueprint and Paleo boil down to a really simple solution: Eliminate most sugar, all seed oils, and refined grains. Everything else is up to the individual to tweak and find what works. Context is so important! Primal Blueprint can work for those coming from fat, skinny, skinny-fat, old, young, healthy but weak, strong but wanting to be stronger, seriously ill, or any other condition...it's not a one-size-fits-all approach.

I feel bad for you if you tried Primal Blueprint and crashed--but get real, no one is buying your story.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast