Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 14

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The whole point of the Eat Moar Fat thread was to show how simplistic that message was. I heard the same message at first and it didn't work for me either. It wasn't until I understood that it was eat a higher percentage as fat while keeping protein moderate and total calories in check that it finally gelled for me.
    This is just about losing weight. Eating a higher % of fat (while keeping protein moderate and total calories in check) doesn't address the multiple other issues that crop up when people cut their carb intake. Issues which are brought up in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think "the movement" does take into account a lot of variances or variables, or our various versions of it wouldn't all be in the same family. Primal includes dairy, traditional paleo elements do not. Some include "the whole animal" foods, others say eat the lean stuff. Some says go all raw, others are vegetarian (and/or pescitarian), and still others will have a lot of carbs while others have less.

Honestly, It's a wide open-system. Anyone who thinks it's not a wide-open idea isn't paying attention (imo).
    I agree it can be a "wide open" system. To be wide open it needs to focus less on the fat.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 12-26-2012 at 02:11 AM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm now finally "getting" what the forum pundits were saying about "EAT MOAR FAT!". They were right except that was a simplistic way to put it. If they had said, "Eat a higher proportion of your calories as fat while keeping your protein moderate and your carbs low AND your total calorie intake in check", that would have been perfect... If the question is what works while making you feel invincible, the answer is ketosis.
    Where in the PB does Mark ever advocate eating a ton of fat? If you took the plan to that extreme and it didn't work for you, cool. Lesson learned. That is not for you. I agree. But don't try to blame that on Mark. His approach is really very moderate. It's all the hacks, tweaks, etc. of the forum that are extreme.
    Hmmm...this response seems hypocritical. One minute you're the queen of telling everybody to reduce protein, keep carbs low, and eat a huge percentage of calories from fat. When someone says this didn't work for them, you flip-flop and start pretending that no one ever said to eat high fat. Which is it?

You can keep saying this all you want but it's simply not true. Primal covers everything from my ketosis to Choco and his sweet potatoes. I'm the Inuit and he's the Kitivans but we are all Primal. Primal is not about macro breakdowns, It's about real whole natural foods.
    The PHD is a very balanced approach. You do realize that Mark wrote the forward for the book right?
    You are joking, right? Even you can't be this ignorant.

I agree that whole foods are emphasized, but since when are macros not involved? Mark's whole weight loss formula is designed around CARBOHYDRATE RESTRICTION.

From Mark's Notorious Carbohydrate Curve:

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

*This 150-300 grams/day is the range I have been eating in the past 6 months to lose the extra fat I gained on Primal, as well as to heal the other health problems I developed eating that way.

I don't follow the PHD exactly either; neither they or Mark advocates sugar, which I use liberally. However, PHD suggests eating a POUND of safe starches and a pound of fruits and sugary vegetables. That is VASTLY different than Mark's approach, which instills fear and phobia of insulin spikes.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 12-26-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Meh, I believe high fat and low -moderate carb (actually just normal carb....we only call it restriction cause of the SAD paradigm) with sufficient protein IS the default healthy diet. I see no reason to deny that. If your a special snowflake with special circumstances, OR you fancy yourself an athlete then make the appropriate tweaks.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I view the primal approach as about 'carbohydrate restriction', only in as much, as modern food consumption is no longer anywhere near a normal amount of carbohydrates. We have come to think that 300-400 grams of carbohydrate is normal, so sure, 50-150 sounds restrictive.

I think 50-150 is probably the 'old normal'. That allows for a 'high-carbohydrate' diet, of 150-250 grams, that would still be healthier than what many people eat now as their 'normal' diet.

Just like when the medical authorities changed the levels for what constitutes high cholesterol. Suddenly, millions more had 'a problem'. Um, no.
    Last edited by Sabine; 12-26-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: pesky double quote- begone!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I think 50-150 is probably the 'old normal'. That allows for a 'high-carbohydrate' diet, of 150-250 grams, that would still be healthier than what many people eat now as their 'normal' diet.
    Totally agree.

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post

*This 150-300 grams/day is the range I have been eating in the past 6 months to lose the extra fat I gained on Primal, as well as to heal the other health problems I developed eating that way.

I don't follow the PHD exactly either; neither they or Mark advocates sugar, which I use liberally. However, PHD suggests eating a POUND of safe starches and a pound of fruits and sugary vegetables. That is VASTLY different than Mark's approach, which instills fear and phobia of insulin spikes.
    Interesting, so you eat a lot of sugar and have increased your carbs significantly, are you working out a lot? How are you getting your sugar - candies, white sugar, honey? Are you eating potato chips, popcorn, pasta, rice? Obviously everyone is quite different and its fascinating that you are getting good body fat reductions on a higher carb diet. Do you track calories and keep your calorie count in the fat loss range? It would be interesting to see what you eat in a typical day, perhaps you could take a few moments and outline your daily diet...Thanks

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Interesting, so you eat a lot of sugar and have increased your carbs significantly, are you working out a lot? How are you getting your sugar - candies, white sugar, honey? Are you eating potato chips, popcorn, pasta, rice? Obviously everyone is quite different and its fascinating that you are getting good body fat reductions on a higher carb diet. Do you track calories and keep your calorie count in the fat loss range? It would be interesting to see what you eat in a typical day, perhaps you could take a few moments and outline your daily diet...Thanks
    Sugar is probably the best fat loss supplement you could use. Nothing ramps up metabolism better. The problem is usually it is combined with fat if the form of something tasty, sugary foods alone can get pretty boring, like an all fruit diet.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    The problem you are going to encounter here is that a healthy SAD diet IS high carb (sugar) and low fat. Most if not all of the people here have had problems losing weight or some kind of health issue because of that kind of diet.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    The problem you are going to encounter here is that a healthy SAD diet IS high carb (sugar) and low fat. Most if not all of the people here have had problems losing weight or some kind of health issue because of that kind of diet.
    You certainly dont have to eat a SAD diet to eat high sugar/low fat.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Aaauuughhhh!

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast