Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal diet - Pros and Cons? page 12

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Really? It set off my BSometer when it attempts to prescribe your perfect diet based on a questionnaire.
    That too. It's just that that blood type thing has been so thoroughly debunked and yet pokes its head back up again.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Ayurveda has been using blood typing since forever (but they have other types, very non-scientific I guess), and it's worked into the whole "doshas" bit. And like TCM, there is success in the method when using nutrition.

But. . . yes, it's not an exact science. that's why we just ahve to N-1.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    This is a great idea for a thread and seeing as today is my One Year Primal Anniversary I'll join in:

Pros:

Clearer skin, no more hormonal outbreaks
    No more period pains, gone completely
    PMS is almost gone, but is worse if I have eaten non-primal foods that month
    Better quality sleep and more aware of my need for sleep
    A beautiful olive sun-tan
    My hair is curlier (??)
    More aware of my satiety and my body's requirements (though don't always act on these)
    Dramatically increased libido
    My body is strong and I am really fit
    My immune system is notably stronger
    My weight has stayed the same but I can see my body comp has changed
    My sense of taste is vastly improved
    I love eating real food and so do my children
    My 3 year old dooesn't have asthma anymore, ever, at all.
    My 5 year old has improved symptoms for a Sensory Processing Disorder
    I know for sure that wheat makes me very, very ill.
    My IBS, bloating, abdominal pains and constipation all vanished within 4 days of primal eating

Cons:

My already small breasts have all but disappeared (no fat in them whatsoever)
    Periods are still irregular
    My ED is still active - I can't blame PB for this, but I did come here hoping I'd be cured
    Loose stools, a new problem, but still a problem

The same:
    Depression and anxiety are still the same, I tried to come off my meds but I'm not ready yet.
    Life is still the same - PB not a miracle for anything

I'm in relapse at the moment with anorexia but keep coming to these forums to learn. There's so much disordered eating out there and a lot of this thread has commented on similar issues. I have learnt that fat keeps me full and that I need to eat it. I've definitely learned that giving a child a bowl of cornflakes with sugar on before preschool is unhelpful to them in so many ways. I'm learning to listen to my body, but it's tough. Despite being in restriction at the moment I am still eating at least one full primal meal as I know I don't want to feel dreadful and become ill. I'll continue this, I can't imagine eating any other way.

Timthetaco Guest
    Pros:
    Horrible acne gone (kind of a bummer, it was fun to pop)
    No longer obese
    I feel amazing when my body works

Cons:
    My body never works (not necessarily paleo's fault)
    I'm an even worse hypochondriac than before. It's an unfortunate side effect of n=1
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 12-24-2012 at 02:19 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think the idea that anyone has a fixed metabolic type is silly. People's metabolisms change based on age, other health conditions, body fat percentage, activity level, etc.

So, not only do different people have different metabolisms, any one person's metabolism goes through changes over time.
    Don't know where I stand on the metabolic typing thing, but that's a good point.

The quiz is just a bit of fun.!

Still loving reading everyone's pros and cons

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    My hair is curlier (??)

I've definitely learned that giving a child a bowl of cornflakes with sugar on before preschool is unhelpful to them in so many ways.
    Hey Dexy!

I read a success story a few weeks ago where a girl who went from vegan to primal had the same experience with her hair curling. Must be a hormonal thing.

And totally agree with you about the cereal - ate it religiously every day for nearly 30 years but now I'd put it in a similar category to cookies!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Where in the PB does Mark ever advocate eating a ton of fat? If you took the plan to that extreme and it didn't work for you, cool. Lesson learned. That is not for you. I agree. But don't try to blame that on Mark. His approach is really very moderate. It's all the hacks, tweaks, etc. of the forum that are extreme.
    I have eaten a variety of different macro breakdowns, from very low fat, to low fat, to moderate fat, to very high fat. Primal is inheritantly high fat, low carb. I'm not blaming anything on Mark, I'm just stating that his eating plan, with moderate to high fat didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Actually PB is quite close to the Perfect Health diet. Also the PHD is not low fat, how did you reach that conclusion? - The Diet | Perfect Health Diet
    PHD isn't 'low fat', but since there is a focus on eating a higher level of carbs, that means that either protein or fat MUST be lowered. Since my protein levels were where I wanted them, that meant reducing fat. If you want to keep overall calories the same, you can't raise one macro without reducing another.

Michelle M is offline Junior Member
    I am another one who hasn't had much success on the Primal Diet.

Before I made the switch to Primal I ate Quinoa (soaked 24 hours according
    to WAP), chicken, olive oil, almond butter on naturally leavened spelt bread
    and lots of veggies. I don't eat dairy, eggs, chocolate, coffee, alcohol and I never eat
    out. So by all accounts a very simple and healthy diet. Most everything I eat / ate
    was organic. I participate in mountaineering activities which means I am going
    anywhere from 6 - 17 hours in a day once per week. I have never been fat.
    I am very lean at 5'4" and 110 lbs. I ate about 3000 - 4000 calories per day
    and never gained weight. Yes, I even eat that much on days that I don't exercise.

After going Primal I gained weight, now have a roll in the mid-section and
    don't have the energy I once had for my high endurance activities. Now, I
    have only gained 5 lbs but I now have fat.

I am thinking that there is nothing wrong with properly prepared quinoa.
    I make it with my home made chicken stock and it seems to give me real
    stamina to go for long days out in the mountains.

I have always been a hard gainer so gaining weight isn't so bad but I am
    surprised by the stomach ponch I have developed.

It is good to question your food choices, but I find that I don't know
    what to do now. Worrying is a sure way to destroy health.

I find I do not sleep as well as I do when I ate a bowl of quinoa before bed.
    I always feel hungry now.
    I have never felt well eating potatoes. I much prefer quinoa.
    White rice just seems like a bowl of sugar.

I haven't given up on the Primal diet, but I need to do an overhaul.
    Last edited by Michelle M; 12-25-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    My hair is curlier, too. The curl of hair is supposedly determined by the shape of the follicle. One might hypothesize, then, that thinner, lower-fat skin on the scalp would lead to elongated follicles, producing flatter and thus more curly hair.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Zach is offline Banned
    Michelle, quinoa is healthy and if it makes you feel better then you should eat it.

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast