Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substituting the Bench Press page 2

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    My problem is this: my pecs naturally stick out from my chest (due to my natural masculature) more than majority of people and they respond (grow) the most compared to my other muscles to weight training.

Plain and simply; they just look f**kin stupid! too big for my current body!
    I've never seen a lean natural lifter with stupid looking pecs. Different shapes and sizes, sure. But never stupid looking. Are you sure they're not just moobs? You don't have to be obese to have moobs, you know.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't skip the bench, it's important to develop that movement. I agree with the poster who said to use a narrower grip. This will de-emphasize your pecs and put more stress on your arms. It's also healthier for your shoulders to bench with a narrower grip so it's a win win for you.

The next time I stall on the bench press and have to reset my program at a lower weight, I'm going to move my grip in a little narrower just for the long term benefits to my shoulders.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    The next time I stall on the bench press and have to reset my program at a lower weight, I'm going to move my grip in a little narrower just for the long term benefits to my shoulders.
    Not to mention reducing your risk of a pec tendon rupture.....been there done that.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    I'd keep the bench press in the rotation, just up the reps and lower the weight so you are still getting stronger but not gaining size as quickly.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    I'd keep the bench press in the rotation, just up the reps and lower the weight so you are still getting stronger but not gaining size as quickly.
    Lowering the weight and upping the reps is a good way to promote sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which equals increased size. I don't think this is what the OP is looking for.
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 12-21-2012 at 04:36 PM.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    dips! dip baby dip. push ups too. i hate the bench press, i simply don't do it. kill me mehdi, bite me rippetoe.

one arm/one arm one leg pushups

radolmoniqe is offline Junior Member
    you wanted to target in place of chest, you could always do cleans or pull ups

Primalsaber is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    At first I thought this thread was about a lack of a bench. I just put a 35 lb plate on my back and do pushups. But if you're worried about size, you could just change the reps for Bench Press only. 5 Heavy sets of 1 or 2 so as to develop more "explosive" power but not the same degree of hypertrophy? Just an idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12