Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypnotism page

cruncan is offline Member

Hypnotism

Shop Now
    Has anyone ever gone under hynotherapy? Did it help you succeed in your goal?
    I have a fear of heights. I feel like this fear holds me back sometimes. I don't like roller coasters and I would never sky dive. All fun things to do, but I WILL NOT do them, due to my fear. I was contemplating hypnotherapy to free me of my fear. What do you think?
    Last edited by cruncan; 12-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    My son had hypnotherapy for needle phobia and it worked. He has a genetic condition which requires a fair amount of blood draws, we used to have to give him drugs to calm him down and even then he would panic, now he just rolls up his sleeve and it's no big deal.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes. It's a very effective technique. I'd like to work on this one thing in my life, but I can't even speak it, so it's hard to get hypnotherapy if you can't speak it.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Go watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on it. Enough said.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I really want to muster self-hypnotic techniques, but so far no luck. Probably should try it more often, duh.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Go watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on it. Enough said.
    Yep coz there is no difference between stage hypnosis and hypnotherapy

We did a hypnobirthing course a while ago, was all very relaxing. I'm sure hypnotherapy would be effective tool to help in dealing with a fear of heights.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    My daughter has a phobia to snakes so years ago when she was about 10-12 years old I tried an NLP thing for snake phobias. We used the movie theater...technique (The NLP Phobia Treatment - Fast Safe Relief - NLP Mentor). See relaxed in a recliner and I talked her through the imagination of being in a movie theater......

After we were through (took about 10 minutes) it happened that a Discovery Channel show about pythons came one. She sat there and looked at the TV and without my prompting she reached out and touch the tv screen snake. She looked at me and said "why did that work?" Just one problem, as the month went by her phobia came back and now she's as phobic as ever. If she sees a snake skin she'll cry. Maybe we should have repeated the NLP stuff to reinforce it. At the time it actually worked, though.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I used hypnotherapy about 15 years ago to beat a paralyzing phobia of needles.

I worked in an outpatient mental health clinic at the time, and I was friendly with one of the therapists who worked there who was trained in hypnotherapy. He offered to teach me hypnosis to get rid of my phobia. It took several sessions - at first, it was all about learning the proper breathing techniques to get oneself into a deep state of relaxation, which does take some practice. After that part was mastered, we focused on using visualization techniques while in this deep relaxed state to retrain the body not to have a panic reaction anymore...this part took a while to build up to, but after a few sessions, I went from having anxiety attacks just from seeing the inner part of my elbow when wearing a t-shirt, to being able to have blood drawn with no problem.

The two most important factors in using hypnotherapy successfully are:
    1) Having a genuine desire to want it to work (for example, it won't work if you are trying to use it to quit smoking if you actually really don't want to stop smoking but are just trying to stop because you think you should)
    2) Working with a practiced, trained hypnotherapist who knows what they are doing.

I'm a big supporter of hypnotherapy.

The stuff you see during stage shows is completely fake; you will be in control of your thoughts and actions and completely aware of everything the whole time; it is impossible for anyone to use hypnosis to make you do something you don't want to do.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Yep coz there is no difference between stage hypnosis and hypnotherapy

We did a hypnobirthing course a while ago, was all very relaxing. I'm sure hypnotherapy would be effective tool to help in dealing with a fear of heights.
    Apparently you haven't seen the episode, they fully discredit hypnotherapists.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Well, that's interesting, because in psychotherapy circles, it's considered a viable method (usually used in tandem with talk therapy). And, it's worked for me, so . . . like homeopathy, I'll go with my experience over two (great) entertainer's show on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast