Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol page 2

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I've been drinking a lot of red wine recently, but the reality is that whenever I drink, I end up 1) overeating 2) eating all the wrong things, so I think I need to put an end to this habit and treat booze the same as, say, ice cream - a rare treat.

Huntress is offline Junior Member
    "This might sound funny or silly to some, but I never took to drinking alcohol. Especially hard liquor. It tastes nasty to me and it burns my esophagus really bad." - Greycat

It's not weird - soft drink (especially coke) burns my esophagus, so I have never drank it. Alcohol however does not ;-) go figure. I never had the struggle of giving up sugary drinks, but I find it difficult to give up my one indulgence; a few glasses of wine!

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    If I drink at all, I drink red wine (No.1 from Mark's list) and cognac sometimes. Don't go under No.2. Never liked beer anyway. Oh, and champagne (or local cremant) for parties, yes. Where was that on the list? But it isn't too often or too much, so I asume I am safe.

I try to keep my alcohol consumption grain-free and sugar-free, which isn't hard because red wine and scotch are my favs. I have a weakness for craft beers, but fortunately (*cries a little*) I haven't found much that qualifies yet here in my new neck of the woods (not North America or Western Europe).

I also have weaknesses, though, for margaritas and the sugary, chocolate-based concoctions my husband comes up with. They are occasional indulgences, so don't noticeably derail me. It probably helps a lot that I've never tried to become competent at making them on my own. Whereas I can definitely pour myself a scotch. That I can handle. :-D

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I love good craft stouts and porters, but I limit myself to 1 beer a week most of the time - if that often. For special occasions I might have two but that is rare - just too many empty calories. It is also the only thing with any connection to grains remaining in my diet. I don't care for wine - or should I say that my body doesn't care for it... I don't care for the hard stuff.

Speaking of which.... there is a lovely Founders Breakfast Stout waiting for me in the fridge

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I drink red wine only through the winter. In the summer, and on a hot day, I may have a glass of chilled white. I don't drink liquor. I have red wine 3-4 nights per week -- 1-2 glasses. I find the more I work out, the greater the aversion to alcohol I have. I'll be in crossfit class 3 x a week starting January, so will likely pair down to a glass or two of red wine on Saturday nights only. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    I don't drink at all anymore, it's not worth it. Even a couple of drinks can trigger a 3 day migraine I used to drink far too much in my twenties and there are two recovering alcoholics in my immediate family (who have been dry for a few years thankfully), so it's quite liberating to realise i can quite happily live without alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I find the more I work out, the greater the aversion to alcohol I have.
    I noticed something sort of along these lines, though I wouldn't call it an aversion, when I started working out. You know those days when you come home from a long hard day at work and you just want a long, slow glass of wine (or whatever) and a sit on the couch? When I work out instead - all desire for a glass of wine vanishes. Endorphins and relaxation achieved, bring on the rest of the day!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I drink 2 shot glasses of good tequila, juice of a whole org lime, splash of soda water (thank u, Robb Wolf) once or twice a week, never later than 5pm.. Sometimes wks go by and I drink no alcohol; depends of who comes to visit.

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I quit drinking beer. It gives me similar symptoms to eating wheat. A good substitute at a gig or after long night at job is 1 shot scotch and 8 oz. club soda. 2-3 times a week red wine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast